Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Another GREAT Midtown Rehab!

I'm so excited!! My apartment building, The Coronado Apartments on Second av. and Selden st. will start full renovation within 30 days, will be completed within for 90-120 days. New windows, appliances, energy star furnaces and hot water tanks, air conditioning, removal of many layers of paint, restoring original tile and wood floor in lobby stairway, lighting. Not sure what is being done on the exterior...stone wash, landscaping, lit-building..etc? GREAT NEWS!

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I'm so excited!! My apartment building, The Coronado Apartments on Second av. and Selden st. will start full renovation within 30 days, will be completed within for 90-120 days. New windows, appliances, energy star furnaces and hot water tanks, air conditioning, removal of many layers of paint, restoring original tile and wood floor in lobby stairway, lighting. Not sure what is being done on the exterior...stone wash, landscaping, lit-building..etc? GREAT NEWS!
    Beautiful building. Glad to hear it!

The Coronado opened as a 24 unit luxury apartment building in 1894. Each apartment was 1,600 to 1.800 sq ft. During the hard times of the Depression the apartments were chopped into smaller spaces.

In 1981 Fred Lax bought the building and took it back to the original 24 units. They were for the most part not restored to their Victorian layouts but were modernized while keeping a great deal of the old woodwork, gas fireplaces, etc.

Mr. Lax was ahead of his time for the neighborhood was clearly the Cass Corridor and not Mid-Town in 1981.

The builder of the Coronado in 1894 was George D. Nutt who also built the city's first luxury apartment building, the Pasadena on East Jefferson. It's uncertain who the architect was. It could have been Fred Smith [[Smith, Hinchman & Grylls) who designed the Pasadena or perhaps Almon Varvey who built Detroit's first apartment building, the Varney [[now demolished) on Park Street.

The attachment is a brochure with floor plans, from the 1981 rehab of the Coronado.
    Name:  Coronado Brochure.jpg
Views: 3354
Size:  52.1 KB

what is the rent there..?

http://www.michiganhousinglocator.re...opertyID=65605

600 a month, 1600 sqft, 2 bed, 2 bath

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    ...or perhaps Almon Varvey who built Detroit's first apartment building, the Varney [[now demolished) on Park Street.Name:  Coronado Brochure.jpg
    The Historic Varney Apartments were demolished by historic preservationist Mike Ilitch to have more loading area at the back of his Fox Theatre.

I went on a tour of the Coronado back in the 80s. It is one gorgeous building. gthomas, get ready for a rent increase!

Oh No! Gentrification! Now if only you could find a place in the city to buy your new Dockers.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    The Coronado opened as a 24 unit luxury apartment building in 1894. Each apartment was 1,600 to 1.800 sq ft. During the hard times of the Depression the apartments were chopped into smaller spaces.

In 1981 Fred Lax bought the building and took it back to the original 24 units. They were for the most part not restored to their Victorian layouts but were modernized while keeping a great deal of the old woodwork, gas fireplaces, etc.

Mr. Lax was ahead of his time for the neighborhood was clearly the Cass Corridor and not Mid-Town in 1981.

The builder of the Coronado in 1894 was George D. Nutt who also built the city's first luxury apartment building, the Pasadena on East Jefferson. It's uncertain who the architect was. It could have been Fred Smith [[Smith, Hinchman & Grylls) who designed the Pasadena or perhaps Almon Varvey who built Detroit's first apartment building, the Varney [[now demolished) on Park Street.

The attachment is a brochure with floor plans, from the 1981 rehab of the Coronado.
    Name:  Coronado Brochure.jpg
    It's $600 a month, huge historic place, what a DEAL. Thats actually my layout of my apartment right here at the bottom of the picture. I love it, hope for plans to restore the fireplace. Living Room fronts Second Av., nice veiw and great neighbors. Very charming place, one of the best place I've lived.

I had a friend who lived there a few years ago - $600 a month is an incredible deal for those apartments. I remember the fireplace having some amazing millwork, and great detailing in every room. If they get a period-appropriate kitchen in that place and an updated bathroom those will be just killer.

SteveJ Guest

The next post in the fall will be he got a letter and they are raising the rent by 50%

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I'd like to find out some info on the building if they have any units left and income requirements. pm me...

who is the landlord?

Beauty eh? And right next to Honest John's. You could get shitfaced, fall headfirst on the sidewalk, brush up and still make it home without getting shot in a couple of minutes. A bargain I tell ya.

I have always liked that building. How is Forest Arms doing, folks?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    I'd like to find out some info on the building if they have any units left and income requirements. pm me...
    Cass Corridor Properties: Several units lefts, all two bedrooms, 2 full bath. Income requirements : Just have a solid track record of working and good standing with previous landlord. Contact: 313.831.2878 Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I had a friend who lived there a few years ago - $600 a month is an incredible deal for those apartments. I remember the fireplace having some amazing millwork, and great detailing in every room. If they get a period-appropriate kitchen in that place and an updated bathroom those will be just killer.
    Yes, I love the details in the fireplace, it's boarded up now. I love the common area on each floor, shared by your neighbor across from you [[If they like to use it also). Only 2 apartments per floor, the building is split in 3 different sections and has different layouts. I'm on third level, wish their where elavators lol. Pretty hard carrying furniture up when moving in..

They will be updating the kitchen and bathroom with new appliances and fixture, not sure if its stainless steel or energy effecient? Windows insulation was my issue, glad they're replacing them. Winter bill was pretty high...everything is included but electric.

It seems they are still working on this building. What is the status? And are there units to rent?