Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 2012 NHL Playoffs

Although I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the Wings quick exit, I am really enjoying the games. Ratings are up and all the games are on TV. Good to see former Wing Mike Knubble work his way back into the Caps lineup and make a difference. I like the Kings and Flyers for the final with the Kings finally getting the crown.

Cant figure the Kings out, seems fishy to me. However, I agree, the playoffs have been great. Last nights Rangers/Caps game was a beauty

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Cant figure the Kings out, seems fishy to me. However, I agree, the playoffs have been great. Last nights Rangers/Caps game was a beauty
    The Kings seem to play as a unit. They're fast, aggressive on the fore check and have a goalie that's playing out of his mind at the moment.

I'd love to see Marty Brodeur hoist the Cup one more time but against that LA team, they're going to be hard pressed. The Kings are just peaking at the right time. For a series featuring a sixth and eighth seed, I'm hoping it's going to be good solid hockey.

I don't have a team in my city but the Blue Jackets are close, lol. The playoffs are playoffs to me. I couldn't imagine the majority of the residents in hockeytown usa really caring about what happens from here on out...

Quote Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
    I don't have a team in my city but the Blue Jackets are close, lol. The playoffs are playoffs to me. I couldn't imagine the majority of the residents in hockeytown usa really caring about what happens from here on out...
    I've enjoyed these playoffs immensely. Even though the Wings were out of it in the 1st rd. the hockey has been competitive and I will take the NHL over the NBA anyday. The Kings looked like they could be dangerous early on and I'm confident they will not blow it against the Devils.
    Scoring in the finals has been down but it is still exciting. There is no doubt in my mind that the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy in professional sports to win. The season is a grind and then the postseason is a grind in and of itself.
    Here's hoping the Wings return to a long post season run next year.

Congrats to the Kings. As much as I wanted to pull for 40 year old Marty Brodeur to hoist the Cup overhead one more time, the Kings were just too sound defensively and Jonathan Quick was just a brick wall back there. It was nice to see Luc Robitaille [[in a suit now) beaming as he hoisted the Cup again too.

Looking back at it, the Kings did some pretty impressive work dispatching the likes of the Canucks [[first seed, deserved or not), the Blues [[second seed) and the Coyotes before meeting up with the Devils.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Congrats to the Kings. As much as I wanted to pull for 40 year old Marty Brodeur to hoist the Cup overhead one more time, the Kings were just too sound defensively and Jonathan Quick was just a brick wall back there. It was nice to see Luc Robitaille [[in a suit now) beaming as he hoisted the Cup again too.

Looking back at it, the Kings did some pretty impressive work dispatching the likes of the Canucks [[first seed, deserved or not), the Blues [[second seed) and the Coyotes before meeting up with the Devils.
    Agreed. I wonder if teams will now try and mimic the defensive stylings of a team like LA? I prefer more of an offensive game yet it was still very entertaining.
    It's too bad that the game was really decided during that 5 minute major. The refs had no choice but to call it like it is.
    Congrats to the Kings and Jonathon Quick, who was outstanding.

The game ended so quickly, it was a real letdown.
    That was a real bad decision by the Devils player.
    As far as trying to mimic the D, you have to remember the Kings barely made the playoffs.
    Still have bad memories of Brodeur against us when we were swept. THat was a long time ago.

Glad to see the Kings win it. After the Wings they are my adopted second favorite team. I spent a brief time living in LA and went to games at the Fabulous Forum. Good core group of fans. As someone who came up through the junior ranks back in the days when NHL teams wouldn't give an American player a serious look unless your last name was Howe, its very gratifying to see an American win the Conn Smythe and an American captain receive the Cup.