Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Douglasm... I don't think that CHRYSLER has plans on moving its' headquarters downtown... but potentially FIAT may. They pay very high taxes in Turino Italy, and may be playing the possibility of moving their corporate HQ to Detroit to get their Italian tax burden lowered. The Chrysler folks will be staying in Auburn Hills... but their parent may be moving to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Douglasm... I don't think that CHRYSLER has plans on moving its' headquarters downtown... but potentially FIAT may. They pay very high taxes in Turino Italy, and may be playing the possibility of moving their corporate HQ to Detroit to get their Italian tax burden lowered. The Chrysler folks will be staying in Auburn Hills... but their parent may be moving to Detroit.
    That would be pretty cool.

You really think he would make a statement about the importance of Detroit to Chrysler, the state of Michigan, etc. by screwing over Turino? That would be some serious irony.

Newsflash: Researchers at Beaumont Hospital Cure All Forms of Cancer.

Some DYers reaction: Why can't we cure cancer in Detroit? Will the treatment only be available in the suburbs? If so, will the rest of the world now think of Detroit as a World Class City?

Honestly people, this Chrysler announcement is unmitigated good news. First step in a stampede downtown, slight bump for the neighborhood's Coney Islands, or somewhere in between, only time will tell. Regardless, it is terrific that more people will be working here, at least sometimes spending money here, and occupying a formerly dead building. How do you take a long trip? One step at a time. In reality, the path to a vibrant Detroit might very well be free of GIGANTIC ARENA+MALL+CHEESECAKE FACTORY+VATICAN RELOCATES TO DETROIT announcements, and be made up of unannounced individuals moving to the city, starting small businesses, fixing up a single storefront. Big things are great, but they aren't the be-all and end-all. Growth is growth. I savor every bit of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Clinton Township, 2028: <funny anti-sprawl screed snipped>
    I just finished watching this anti-sprawl documentary: Sprawling from Grace: The Consequences of Suburbanization [[©2008, total duration 82 minutes). It covers most of the anti-sprawl arguments in one neat, well-produced video.

Feel free to copy link to more relevant threads.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...b_1448492.html

This opinion cites chrysler looking for space for 1000. Maybe the bldg name change hinges on a larger future presence.
    Last edited by hybridy; April-30-12 at 08:52 PM.

Chrysler should have moved to the old Dodge Brother building on Beaubien and Lafayette. Just think, nudie bar in the lobby... wow

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...b_1448492.html

This opinion cites chrysler looking for space for 1000. Maybe the bldg name change hinges on a larger future presence.
    That would be something else if Chrysler did move that many employees downtown. There are plenty of buildings that could accomodate 1,000+ employees.

I'll still be calling it the Dime Building. Good news on the move though!

Only in Detroit -- and really, only on DetroitYes -- will the first dozen comments about good news be bitchfests. Yes, because Detroit doesn't have enough bad news, right?

Reactions like this are a major component of why Detroit has such a hard time having and keeping nice things. Have fun disparaging and maligning the region further into its hole.

Well downtown Detroit now has a Ford Building, a GM Building, and now the Chrysler House.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Detroit's corporate heads aren't very forward-thinking, generally.
    Good point.

Gilberttown is really growing. Here comes Delta City!

Next employment flight from the suburbs to Downtown Detroit will the Chrysler WHQ team from Auburn Hills. The Old Auburn Hills Chrylser Building will be tall eyesore, squatter's inn and drug emporium in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I'll still be calling it the Dime Building. Good news on the move though!
    I agree: it's a great move, but the name is so tacky. To me it seems like Sergio Marchionne thought of that name on the spot. The Dime Building in my opinion is a classy name, which is befitting for such a classy building. The presence of a Dime Bank in the building is irrelevant to me and I think the building's name should remain the Dime Building.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitpride313 View Post
    I agree: it's a great move, but the name is so tacky. To me it seems like Sergio Marchionne thought of that name on the spot. The Dime Building in my opinion is a classy name, which is befitting for such a classy building. The presence of a Dime Bank in the building is irrelevant to me and I think the building's name should remain the Dime Building.
    I think that perhaps they went with a classic name, such as NYC famous LEVER HOUSE. Names are just labels... should the Guardian Building go back to the Union Trust Building... or the Broderick back to the Eaton Tower? The Dime Building went thru much of its' life as the Kennedy Square Building... so I put very little sentiment into labels.

You'll win the lottery twice and marry Kate Upton before Chrysler moving its corporate headquarters from Auburn Hills to Detroit. It ain't gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    You'll win the lottery twice and marry Kate Upton before Chrysler moving its corporate headquarters from Auburn Hills to Detroit. It ain't gonna happen.
    Considering that Chrysler leases that corporate HQ in Auburn Hills, it's not that far fetched of an idea.

I think that perhaps they went with a classic name, such as NYC famous LEVER HOUSE. Names are just labels... should the Guardian Building go back to the Union Trust Building... or the Broderick back to the Eaton Tower? The Dime Building went thru much of its' life as the Kennedy Square Building... so I put very little sentiment into labels.
    I agree. But there is also the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building in NYC and Sears Tower and John Hancock Building in Chicago. So sometimes buildings have iconic names that no one would dare change... could even argue this for Fisher Building, Penobscot Building and Renaissance Center. Dime Building was never on that level, and overshadowed by the other skyscrapers in the area. Personally, I find myself confusing it with the Ford Building.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I agree. But there is also the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building in NYC and Sears Tower and John Hancock Building in Chicago. So sometimes buildings have iconic names that no one would dare change... could even argue this for Fisher Building, Penobscot Building and Renaissance Center. Dime Building was never on that level, and overshadowed by the other skyscrapers in the area. Personally, I find myself confusing it with the Ford Building.
    Whoa... just realized Sears Tower is now Willis Tower. I guess I take back everything I said.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    Considering that Chrysler leases that corporate HQ in Auburn Hills, it's not that far fetched of an idea.
    They have 500 acres and over 5,000,000 sq feet. What are you smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    They have 500 acres and over 5,000,000 sq feet. What are you smoking?
    Yes, they do. And they don't own any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    Yes, they do. And they don't own any of it.
    And you are going to replace that in Detroit how?

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post

It's interesting that this discussion is taking place just as our Santa Fe Building, where I work here in Chicago, is potentially about to be renamed the Motorola Building [[which to me seems hardly suiting for a 1904 terra cotta Beaux Arts high rise by Daniel Burnham).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast