Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I agree. But there is also the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building in NYC and Sears Tower and John Hancock Building in Chicago.
    So you weren't privy to the whole Sears Tower thing [[whatever, it's still the Sears Tower) but what do all these building names have in common? They don't contain "house". I'll get flamed all to hell with this again but c'mon, Chrysler House? Lame. I live in a house and it doesn't look anything like the Dime Building

Funny how a "house" became the pattern for all the modern skyscrapers of the world...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever_House

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    So you weren't privy to the whole Sears Tower thing [[whatever, it's still the Sears Tower) but what do all these building names have in common? They don't contain "house". I'll get flamed all to hell with this again but c'mon, Chrysler House? Lame. I live in a house and it doesn't look anything like the Dime Building
    It's a European thing. I can think of several in London such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_Mex_House

Good point Leland_Palmer... the LEVER HOUSE is owned by Unilever Corp. a British/Dutch multinational corporation [[just like Shell).

"House is also used in theatre and opera house jargon. They have "house lights"... and parts of their interior are known as "house left" and "house right".... and in theatre jargon... being an instant hit on stage is known as "bringing down the house".

So the term house has a much broader connotation that merely being a domicile...

Is there a Doctor in the house?

Or "House" can mean a family lineage or estate, including ancestors and descendants: the great houses of France; the House of Hapsburg; House Harkonnen from Dune.

"Chrysler House" just sounds stupid.

Person 1: Where do you work?

Person 2: Chrysler House.

Person 1: Where?

Person 2: You know. The Dime Building.

Person 1: Oh. Yeah. So you work for Chrysler?

Person 2: No. They only have two floors. I'm with the firm of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe on the 5th floor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3