Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Google Maps: Detroit Zoo View!

Yes, you can tour the zoo on Google Maps "Street" view!

The coolest thing I have seen on street view yet: http://g.co/maps/gm3es

oh man, this would have been so neat at the Belle Isle aquarium.

monkey at the zoo

Julius was born in Africa in 1950 or 1951, and came to the Detroit Zoo in November 1953. He was soon a star of the show

<span style="color: black; font-family: Calibri;">

"Many chimps were exploited for human entertainment, especially in some zoos in the 1940s-1980s, and then dumped into research after their "retirement." It is time to get chimpanzees out of labs and into sanctuaries.

Most of the old photos in this video are from the private collection of my father, who was a chimp trainer at the Detroit Zoo from 1948 to 1964, or were publicity shots from the zoo. Most of the modern photos are of chimpanzees who are now in sanctuary at the Center for Great Apes. For more information:" http://chimptrainersdaughter.blogspot.com.

I noticed that the Detroit Zoo "Street" View images were taken in July 2011! Here's some highlights from the views:

Here's a funny image taken just before the polar bear tunnel.

This view looks towards the new LA Fitness building over on Woodward from the zoo gates. If you place the cursor closer to the building, you will teleport to the southbound lanes of Woodward and travel back to August 2009, where that building hasn't even begun!

Here's a bonus one: You can even tour the Oakland University campus on Street View! The OU views were also taken in July 2011.

The Google car managed to sneak into this view in the OU parking lot.

And here's another bonus: The parking lots of a few shopping centers in the metro area are also on Street View, such as this one near Southland Center in Taylor. The parking lot views were all taken in October of 2010.

I hope this is an indicator that more of the metro region will be in HD on Street View. Especially the Boynton and Oakwood Heights neighborhoods of the city and the Downriver suburbs [[the former is mostly old low-res 2007 images except on I-75 and the latter is the same case except for the linked shopping center parking lot and some parts of Zug Island and Melvindale on the Detroit border).
    Last edited by mtburb; April-25-12 at 02:00 PM.