Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Archived DetroitYES Picnic Discussion

Moderator Note: This thread are the posts we remove while dressing up the main Picnic Thread. Since Milliken Park has been determined as the location we decide to remove discussion about site location and other now moot posts here so as to focus on who is coming and planning.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

Picnic, anyone?

The 10th Annual DetroitYES Picnic takes place on Sunday, June 3, 2012.

That's right! This year's picnic will be held one week after the Memorial Day holiday weekend. We hope that will enable more Forumers to join us!!!!

Sooooo......MARK YOUR CALENDAR!!!!

I'll post more information as the date gets closer.

If you have questions, please post or PM me. Thanks!!

Also posted in Connections:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-SAVE-THE-DATE!!!

Kathleen

We better get alot of new people here! Lowell, can you keep this on the main page for awhile?

Stromberg2

Will there be mud wrestling amongst all the shit-talking regulars?

Yes, mud wrestling and Baklava....mmmmmm!

Stromberg2

Isn't this the same day?
    The excitement of world-class auto racing will return to the Motor City next summer for the first time in four years with the Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix, June 1-3, 2012.

Over $6 million in improvements were made to Belle Isle Park as the Grand Prix made its return to Detroit in 2007 and 2008.

On the first weekend in June, the Automotive Capital of the World will once again bristle with excitement as the cars of the IZOD IndyCar Series, the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series, the Pirelli World Challenge Touring Car Series and the Firestone Indy Lights Championship will battle wheel-to-wheel on the temporary street circuit constructed on Belle Isle, the beautiful 982-acre island located on the Detroit River between Windsor, Ontario, Canada and Detroit, Michigan.

Make sure to visit the official web site often [[http://www.detroitgp.com/) for continued updates on the Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix.
    Address 300 Renaissance Center, Suite 2311, Detroit, MI 48243 · Get Directions

^^^ Perfect...I can do both at the same time!

Stromberg2

Thanks, Jcole! Totally forgot that the Grand Prix was being revived this year and moving the date from Labor Day to June.

We'll work something out!! Either a different date or maybe a different location....

Everyone....please share your thoughts on what our next move should be.

It has been pointed out that June 3 is the same day as the Belle Isle Grand Prix this year...

Follow on the Discuss Detroit thread...
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-SAVE-THE-DATE!!!

Comerica Park parking lot? I kid, I kid..

Riverside Park? It has fishing, a boat launch and the famous ballpark. Clark? It too has ball fields and is blessed with a great coffee shop just steps away.

Or ... Maybe inside that new bar that occupies Skippers place on Bagley. LLowell has a separate thread about the place, seemingly it is available for private events.

I'll look into the William Milliken State Park [[formerly Tricentennial State Park) on the riverfront. Not sure if they have installed grills, whether we can put up the picnic canopies, etc.

Everyone....please share your thoughts on what our next move should be.
    I vote for Belle Isle on another date.

It would have to be a few weeks before or after the race, then. The whole island gets busy...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    It would have to be a few weeks before or after the race, then.
    That works for me.

Hey Kathleen, have a suggestion. Check your PM.

Sumas

Bobl: Actually your post did show up....on the same thread over in Discuss Detroit: http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-SAVE-THE-DATE!!!

I posted in both places because some folks never check the Connections page.

Sumas and Roq: Received your PMs. Thank you much!! Will be in touch. I still want to check out a few options and get more feedback from folks.

Pretty confident that the June 3 date will stick...too many other conflicts with June dates to consider moving our picnic date out....so just the location is still to be determined.

Please keep your suggestions and feedback coming!!

If location is in question, we would be willing to open our house and yard. We live in historic Islandview Village near Belle Isle. The yard is large, the house is large. Parking for 30 cars across the street.

Even have a very big dog run in the yard. Room enough for a tent. A horse shoe pit and or Badmitten court.

Rain would be no problem as the house can easily accomodate 50 people or more. Basement rec room is a smoke free zone. Though mostly smokers congregate on the roofed front porch.

Just a thought, if interested you could call us. 313 922-7306. Ron or Sumas.

^^
    Why does that sound like an interesting idea? Belle Isle is so traditional, though. That does sound cool, though...and very generous.

Stromberg2

There always Clark Park, Kemeny Park, Riverside Park, Electric Park [[ On E. Jefferson Ave and E. Grand Blvd.)

Kathleen, what about Balduck? Back in our old hood?

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Kathleen, what about Balduck? Back in our old hood?
    Great for me, only 4 miles down I-94... but there's no "facilities"....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Great for me, only 4 miles down I-94... but there's no "facilities"....
    And all the softball players on the weekend. How about Maheras Memorial, Ford Brush, or Alfred Brush Ford Parks with the exception of AB Ford park they are very underutilized.

Or,how about Riverwalk? Parking, rest rooms,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast