Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by cpanagio View Post
    This was the first section of a pre-approved 100+ mile metro system and it was linked to surrounding states within a few years of opening. Detroit can barely approve a system with a grand total of 3 miles. I can understand how people believe that this will just be another people mover within 10 years.
    SEMCOG has developed a regional transit plan. Adopt it. Implement it.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I agree with you but there is a big difference between approved and a plan [[which is just proposals and recommendations).

Quote Originally Posted by cpanagio View Post
    I agree with you but there is a big difference between approved and a plan [[which is just proposals and recommendations).
    Unfortunately, there isn't a body in Southeastern Michigan that has teeth to legally adopt a plan.

Unfortunately, there isn't a body in Southeastern Michigan that has teeth to legally adopt a plan.
    It also helped in Washington that Uncle Sugar was picking up the entire bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    It also helped in Washington that Uncle Sugar was picking up the entire bill.
    That's not entirely true, but whatever helps you sleep at night.

Much of the money for Metro construction was obtained by using funds designated for Interstate Highways that the region opted not to build.

Much of the money for Metro construction was obtained by using funds designated for Interstate Highways that the region opted not to build.
    What a concept!

Wonderful. I'm still hoping they find funding to continue the line beyond 8 mile. It would be nice to see it go all the way up to pontiac.

Bailey, I'm curious to know why you think this M1 Rail is destined to fail, when similiar projects in other cities have been wildly successful and spurred billions of dollars in development.

I think I know what you're getting at. Frankly, I would prefer to see the streetcar built with a thicker foundation slab that could support future light rail trains.

As far as transit goes, though, Detroit is starting from Zero. You have to begin somewhere, and this makes about as much sense as anything. Given the current political and fiscal environment, I think this is about the best we can hope for right now.

It's not like construction of a streetcar would preclude further transit development. In fact, by connecting downtown to New Center, it makes the reality of a regional [[commuter) rail system that much more feasible. And maybe it would show Mr. Snyder how absurd his bus rapid transit plan is.

Curious to read your thoughts on the matter.

Bailey, I'm curious to know why you think this M1 Rail is destined to fail, when similiar projects in other cities have been wildly successful and spurred billions of dollars in development.

I think I know what you're getting at. Frankly, I would prefer to see the streetcar built with a thicker foundation slab that could support future light rail trains.

As far as transit goes, though, Detroit is starting from Zero. You have to begin somewhere, and this makes about as much sense as anything. Given the current political and fiscal environment, I think this is about the best we can hope for right now.

It's not like construction of a streetcar would preclude further transit development. In fact, by connecting downtown to New Center, it makes the reality of a regional [[commuter) rail system that much more feasible. And maybe it would show Mr. Snyder how absurd his bus rapid transit plan is.

Curious to read your thoughts on the matter.
    Short answer? Because it's not part of anything resembling an overall regional solution to the massive lack of transit options here...other than it happens to be located on a major thoroughfare.

Its going to be the second downtown circulator mode of transit built in Detroit and [[if past is prologue) we still will have no way to actually feed it for another generation or two

I don't doubt your point that Trolley/downtown circulatory modes of transit pump up investment along the lines, however, that is only if people are riding the transit to begin with.

Look, very few people that aren't already riding the bus are going ride this because it goes from nowhere to nowhere. Yes that's generalizing...but c'mon, not one car is going to come off the Lodge or I75 or I94 or 696 after this is built. No one not immediately on the line will benefit from it's implementation and frankly, if it's going to be the curb running, in traffic, stop as often as a bus line that the Gilbertonians want... it's going to be indistinguishable from a bus.

The problem that isn't being solved...that could be solved if the Gilbertonians REALLY cared about transit and not a vanity project....would be to get the bus system to function and stop it from being an option of absolute last resort.

DDOT and SMART need to be combined. Detroit needs to give up it's "jewel" and the 'burbs need to understand black people are going to ride the bus north of 8 mile.

Here's what I want my region to be able to do- which it will be not one iota closer to being able to do after spending a few hundred million on this line: I want to be able to leave Metro Airport by bus, LRT, BRT...whatever... and get somewhere close to my east side, inner ring home [[a distance of 25 miles) in something approaching a reasonable amount of time. Not 4 hours, five changes, and three different modes of transportation...if they show up or are even running that day.

Further, I'm not asking for door to door service for everywhere I may conceivably need to go. I'm not demanding NYC or Chicago level of service out of the gate. I'm asking that if I use mass transit in this region, I can get reasonably close to my destination in Detroit and at the very least, the inner ring burbs in a reasonable amount of time and reliably. Again, I don't care if it's by bus, LRT or fucking rickshaw as long as IT WORKS.

My biggest problem with this boondoggle is that instead of fixing the problem of BASIC delivery of BASIC service, we look to solutions to problems we don't have. We don't need another downtown circulator, WE NEED A FUNCTIONING REGIONAL SYSTEM.

After we get a reliable and functioning network of buses, LRT or BRT [[or whatever) THEN we can worry about how to move people around downtown.

At the VERY LEAST, have a regional plan. A real one. Not a piecemeal, hodge podge of half way executed portions of plans all in the name of "doing something" or "not letting the perfect get in the way of the good".
    Last edited by bailey; April-30-12 at 10:22 AM.

Semcog's "plan" gets the rail to Birmingham sometime around 2040 and every other artery served by BRT. So, it would seem they ARE implementing it.