Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The RIghteous Mind

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/bo...pagewanted=all

I disagree with his conclusion that two minutes study of a good argument will change most people's minds. How can this be true if reason is the slave to our emotions?

I think what he's trying to say is that we need to take time for contemplation and since studies have shown that two minutes of a good argument will change people's minds, if we do that, then that should overrule emotions and reason will then take hold.

Very interesting article.

This recent article fits here too:

Why Is the Conservative Brain More Fearful? The Alternate Reality Right-Wingers Inhabit Is Terrifying
    Consider for a moment just how terrifying it must be to live life as a true believer on the right. Reality is scary enough, but the alternative reality inhabited by people who watch Glenn Beck, listen to Rush Limbaugh, or think Michele Bachmann isn't a joke must be nothing less than horrifying.

From the article, "In reality, Americans are safer and more secure today than at any point in human history."

Prove it. Through the 1950's there were no Russian missiles aimed at us. That alone provides a measure of danger. How can anyone prove that no former Soviet backpack nukes found their way into the US? I don't know that they have but did see the World Towers crash. I wouldn't have guessed that would happen either. Perhaps evolution needs both pollyanna types [['forward' lemmings) and worriers for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Through the 1950's there were no Russian missiles aimed at us. That alone provides a measure of danger.
    America was quite fearful in the 50s, not necessarily from missiles but from long-range bombers, although they had ICBMs by 1957. We were terrified by the Russians back then, leading to the Red Scare, blacklisting, the duck and cover movie [[1950) and adopting "in God We Trust" as a national motto

I really don't think there is that much difference between conservatives and liberals. I just think conservatives tend to fixate on what they don't like and liberals tend to fixate on what they do like. Conservatives are usually more pessimistic and liberals are usually more optimistic.

Both have pretty much the same end goals but look at different angles of an issue and attack it from different perspectives. For example, a conservative would generally complain about how they hate rainy days. You would almost never know they like sunny days as they would almost never bring that up. A liberal would only gush about their love for sunny days. You'd guess that liberals don't understand that it ever rains. However, if a conservative had their way they'd eliminate those dreaded rainy days and if liberals had their way everyday would be sunny. Uhhh, then in the end they'd both end up with pretty much the exact same thing.

Yin yang, the chicken or the egg, How to Win Friends and Influence People.

In an unflattering manner, the reviewer employs condescension regarding conservatives. While the author likely appreciate$ making the NYT Sunday Book Review, more importantly, does he fully agree with the review itself.

Per the review, terms are loosely applied. Innate and intuitive are not synonymous, and innate is difficult to prove on a comprehensive level. Gimmicks or tricks aside, people disabuse themselves of feelings when they believe it is in their own best interest.

Other authors who address this subject might provide more.