Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hybrid View

Default Tiger stadium not forgotten

check out today's Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...1205729.column

In a way I can relate yo you. As a football fan [[or soccer as yuou persistently tend to call it...), I also mourned the loss of a great venue. This was our beloved stadium until the 1994 season.

I had a season ticket for the northwest corner of the stadium [[in this picture it's the bottom left). There was an electricity box underneath the light tower on which I climbed to have a grandstand view of the field. A few years before closing some temporary stands were created. From there I made this panorama picture.

The stadium came down to make space for an expansion for the local hospital. A few years back I tried to find the pitch lines back with the help of old aereal pictures. Here's what the grid looked like. I was able to pinpoint three of the four corner flag in the present situation with the GPS [[I'm a serveyer so I have the resources). This mark on the ground I placed [[Illegally )was the south west corner of the pitch. And here in the grass is the south east corner.

The new stadium is in fact closer to the city center, something in common with Comerica Stadium. This is what it looked in 1997, three years after opening. Already the first reconstruction is taking place in the northwest corner of the mainstand.

It took me years to get over the loss of the old stadium but now, after several explansions, the stadium is now housing about 26000 spectators. This summer another expansion will start which will take the mark up to 30000.

Hardly recognizable but after 18 years the stadium now looks like this. The core of the stadium is the same as the picture above.

Say what you will about Ilitch and Comerica Park. Tom Monahan would have moved the Tigers out of the city if Ilitch didn't buy the team. And it's questionable the Tigers could have survived the past decade with the limited revenue Tiger Stadium provided [[no suites, no parking, challenged concession opportunities).

Does anyone have any news on the status of the sequel for the "Stranded at the Corner" documentary on Tiger stadium? I believe it was tentatively titled "Force Out" and was highlighted in one of the "Preserve Tiger Stadium" websites.

Quote Originally Posted by mb1 View Post
    Does anyone have any news on the status of the sequel for the "Stranded at the Corner" documentary on Tiger stadium? I believe it was tentatively titled "Force Out" and was highlighted in one of the "Preserve Tiger Stadium" websites.
    Im working on that. We had a 10 minute trailer at Tiger Stadium appreciation night last Friday.

Should have it up on You tube in a few weeks.

I figure we are a month away.

Claude G.

Thanks for the update and looking forward to the release. A special thanks to all of dedicated individuals who continue to keep the Corner alive. Your spirit, dedication, and perseverance is an inspiration!!!

mb1

Yeah, the Ilitch organization couldn't have made money without skyboxes. Skyboxes. Remember, we had to have a special tax to pay for ... skyboxes.

As for raising ANY tax for that light rail ... <eyeroll>

The "Corner" will forever be the only Detroit ball yard for me. I envy Boston and Chicago and their commitment to the historical purity of "America's National Pasttime" by keeping, restoring, updating and treasuring the Historical National Landmarks in which they "Play Ball". I rarely missed a home game at Tiger Stadium, even without season tickets, but have maybe been to 3 at the Copa. Personal preference, goes without saying, but when i can, I spend my bball $ on a yearly trip to Boston now, just to see a game in a real ballpark and soak in the sights and sounds and Baseball!

The Tigers can play on a blacktop surface of broken glass and I'd still come just to watch the game but then again, I'm a baseball fan. I'm a notalgic purist and all and I hate that the flagpole is not in play right now but jesus christ on a pogo stick, get over it and enjoy the game. Except for Occurence, I hope he just stays away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2