Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Forty years after publication of "The Limits to Growth"

Forty years ago, a team of researchers published The Limits to Growth, a study based on computer modeling. Its conclusions based on a "standard run" indicated a collapse of the global economic system around the middle of this century. 10 years ago, a study found a strong concurrence of the predictions with the reality of the time, and a similar study done recently shows similar results.

Smithsonian Magazine
    http://tinyurl.com/7jcnmof

here is a chart from that :Name:  Futurism-Got-Corn-graph-631-thumb.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  95.9 KB

Great stuff, Rb. Thanks!

It looks like they were conservative with their estimates, but in every way close enough to say they were right!

Some of the things they forcasted have been affected by suble changes in human behavior...I mean, how many even knew what recycling even was forty years ago?! Now, every curb has a bin once a week...some people have more recyclables than trash, I know ours is roughly ten to a hundred times more week-to-week.

Then again, I take bags INTO the grocery store now...

Very curious...

Seeing the slopes of the curves...it appears they are being WAY too generous with the population estimate...

Industrial production crashes fiercely with the end of easy oil...what other non-renewable resources are they talking about?! LOL...code words...
    Last edited by Gannon; April-18-12 at 02:13 PM.

Food has the biggest error between forcasting and actual data, I'm sure they could not have figured in the atrocities created by frankenfoods through those like Monsanto. THAT one will crash harder than they assume, as well!

And the Club of ROme wasn't even considering global climate change and the lack of water. I think their chart needs revising especially regarding food per capita.