Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Could you just accept the fact that there may be a good reason that would possibly be private? Here are some reasons why foreign-born priests have been repatriated in my memory. Of course these things could apply to any domestic priest - its just that maybe the local Bishop has enough on his hands and doesn't need more trouble:

one was exposed a falling-down drunk
    One seduced a married woman
    One seduced a kid
    One was raising money ostensibly for an orphanage in his home country and it was really going to his illicit wife and children
    One was raising money for a private project in contravention to AoD rules about how/why collections can be taken
    One was actually politically-active in ultra-right wing movement

Maybe the case in discussion was none of these things. Maybe something else. Maybe more nefarious. Maybe less.

But seems like something there.

That's what bothers me most about this: "There's no explanation therefor the priest must have done something wrong". If that's the case it's news to those in the parish who are very close to Fr.

I, too, find the attitude that Father must have done something heinous for the AoD to be letting him go to be a pretty obnoxious one.
    If the poster has some inside knowledge of wrong doing, come out with it; otherwise don't paint the priest as a seductive married child molester with a drinking problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I, too, find the attitude that Father must have done something heinous for the AoD to be letting him go to be a pretty obnoxious one.
    If the poster has some inside knowledge of wrong doing, come out with it; otherwise don't paint the priest as a seductive married child molester with a drinking problem.
    I recognize the type from the previous round of closings I have dealt with in the past. AOD apologists are the worst type of people imaginable. Not only willing to bow and scrape at the feet of the "powers that be" of the Archdiocese, but are flagrantly obnoxious and ignorantly petulant with anyone that has a dissenting opinion.

Of course we'll all go to hell for dissenting with the Arcdiocese, but at least I wouldn't be spending eternity with that type of person.

It's as if the poster keeps reiterating that same thing so it will take the focus off the priest being sent away in a diocese where they are shutting parishes for a 'lack of priests'

People were crying in the pews on Saturday when he made the announcement. If the Father did anything wrong, I don't think the Archdiocese would let him stick around until June 30.

Great point, Eastland. I wonder what the response would be if members of the parish specifically asked the AoD why they were losing their priest. I suspect the response would be a polite [[or not so) "none of your business".

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    I recognize the type from the previous round of closings I have dealt with in the past. AOD apologists are the worst type of people imaginable. Not only willing to bow and scrape at the feet of the "powers that be" of the Archdiocese, but are flagrantly obnoxious and ignorantly petulant with anyone that has a dissenting opinion.

Of course we'll all go to hell for dissenting with the Arcdiocese, but at least I wouldn't be spending eternity with that type of person.
    What a childish response.
    It appears that you're the one that has a problem with anyone that has a dissenting opinion from your own.
    This is a message board, if you can't deal with it go sit in a room with a like minded person and have a ball agreeing with one another.

GUSHI Guest

Ya go fuk urself, I just asked a simple question, by build new if you can move it.
    Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Yeah! Let's move St. Florian to Hall Road. Put it between the Best Buy and the Target. Is there enough parking????
    Where else in the civilized world but Metro Detroit would such a simpleton suggest something so offensive, aesthetically and otherwise?
    And it's mosque, genius.

Change is 'hell'.

I'm going to assume, until otherwise proven, that the AoD and the priest are all working together to do their best for their parish, diocese, and Church.

Let's not be so quick to assume that something 'wrong' is happening. The AoD manages a lot of resources, buildings, people. Everyone will not be happy all the time. If this man is a good priest, he'll continue to do good work. If the diocese is good, they'll continue to do good work in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Change is 'hell'.

I'm going to assume, until otherwise proven, that the AoD and the priest are all working together to do their best for their parish, diocese, and Church.

Let's not be so quick to assume that something 'wrong' is happening. The AoD manages a lot of resources, buildings, people. Everyone will not be happy all the time. If this man is a good priest, he'll continue to do good work. If the diocese is good, they'll continue to do good work in Detroit.
    In general many of us agree with your assumption. This is not a case [[pardon the cliches) of "who moved my cheese" or "bitting the hand that feeds us" The unenvialble task of reallocating finite resources in an organization as large as the AOD of course is met with resistance and overt emotion. This happened on a much larger scale one generation ago under Bishop Szoka with the massive church and school closings. To the AOD's credit the church and school closing procedures have become much more open and involve the parishioners on a broader scale. HOWEVER, there are always cases that perhaps need a closer look. Perhaps the AOD is looking at the bigger picture into the future, or as suggested Fr. Jovita is indeed needed elsewhere outside the AOD. But with the information that was presented it appears that his services COULD have been extended [[as Pastor) and the AOD did not opt for that. Many are just simply asking why. It's a shame that St. Jude [[and surrounding community) will most likely be without a leader.....Again, a beacon of hope just got dimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    What a childish response.
    It appears that you're the one that has a problem with anyone that has a dissenting opinion from your own.
    This is a message board, if you can't deal with it go sit in a room with a like minded person and have a ball agreeing with one another.
    And likewise, I am sure. Imagine the nerve of someone dissenting against the church? Oh wait...

The Vatican has launched a crackdown on the umbrella group that represents most of America's 55,000 Catholic nuns, saying that the group was not speaking out strongly enough against gay marriage, abortion and women's ordination
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/religio...can/54396560/1

townonenorth? Childish?

No more childish than others on the board, Nerdy.

No more childish than others on the board, Nerdy.
    So modest!

And likewise, I am sure. Imagine the nerve of someone dissenting against the church? Oh wait...
    Imagine a priest being relieved of his duties at a parish and someone thinking that it might be something other than the evil doings of the AOD?

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Imagine a priest being relieved of his duties at a parish and someone thinking that it might be something other than the evil doings of the AOD?
    It IS the evil doings of the AOD.

It IS the evil doings of the AOD.
    With such an ax to grind, sounds like somebody was denied admission to a Catholic school for being too stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    With such an ax to grind, sounds like somebody was denied admission to a Catholic school for being too stupid.
    I'd rather be stupid than servicing the AOD on my knees.

And relative to Catholic schools, they would take anyone, as long as you had the cash and your family forked over the envelopes every Sunday. As is evident by your ignorant posts.
    Last edited by townonenorth; April-20-12 at 01:25 PM.

Loathesome

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Loathesome
    And you think that your posts are so wonderful?

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    In general many of us agree with your assumption. This is not a case [[pardon the cliches) of "who moved my cheese" or "bitting the hand that feeds us" The unenvialble task of reallocating finite resources in an organization as large as the AOD of course is met with resistance and overt emotion. This happened on a much larger scale one generation ago under Bishop Szoka with the massive church and school closings. To the AOD's credit the church and school closing procedures have become much more open and involve the parishioners on a broader scale. HOWEVER, there are always cases that perhaps need a closer look. Perhaps the AOD is looking at the bigger picture into the future, or as suggested Fr. Jovita is indeed needed elsewhere outside the AOD. But with the information that was presented it appears that his services COULD have been extended [[as Pastor) and the AOD did not opt for that. Many are just simply asking why. It's a shame that St. Jude [[and surrounding community) will most likely be without a leader.....Again, a beacon of hope just got dimmer.
    You highlight an important point. In today's world, there's an expectation of much more open discussion of the motivation for action. The Church has a long legacy of being a closed organization. God doesn't need to explain. The Church argues they are God's representative.

Today, people expect more tranparency. Simply saying Fr. X is being reassigned doesn't satisfy the congregation. Its a sign of an engaged congregation.

Many posters clearly assume the worst of the AoD.

The AoD might be well-advised to be more open on their motivations and reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Loathesome
    And furthermore, at the very least, calling one stupid isn't loathesome? I dont see you condemning anyone else. Oh, right, he agrees with you. My bad.
    Last edited by townonenorth; April-20-12 at 11:15 AM.

I won't even enter this discussion. This is a message board. Sly digs and sarcasm are acceptable, but don't descend to playground name-calling. It is possible to have a civil disagreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I won't even enter this discussion. This is a message board. Sly digs and sarcasm are acceptable, but don't descend to playground name-calling. It is possible to have a civil disagreement.
    Agreed! It is a shame when frivolous name calling overshadows a meaningful and intelligent discourse.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast