Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

don't mind the Purdy.

don't hate the sci & eng library

Good God, man!

Can people stop posting pictures of modernists structures? I don't want to throw up anymore today!

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Good God, man!

Can people stop posting pictures of modernists structures? I don't want to throw up anymore today!

lol
    i am in agreement...

that last one was brutalist, not modernist

It is interesting how people like Dan Gilbert and institutions like Wayne State are all over stuff like the M-1 Rail, but then lead the charge for parking garages and ill-placed surface lots. It seems like the community leaders need to get together and decide what they really want: a more urban Detroit, or a more suburban Detroit. Because with the new M-1 Rail, you'd think you'd want as new developments facing Woodward whenever possible. People are moving into these neighborhoods because they want an urban experience, but developers seem to drag their feet on meeting the change in market demand because their neighbor Joe in Bevery Hills is worried about where he'll park.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    It is interesting how people like Dan Gilbert and institutions like Wayne State are all over stuff like the M-1 Rail, but then lead the charge for parking garages and ill-placed surface lots. It seems like the community leaders need to get together and decide what they really want: a more urban Detroit, or a more suburban Detroit. Because with the new M-1 Rail, you'd think you'd want as new developments facing Woodward whenever possible. People are moving into these neighborhoods because they want an urban experience, but developers seem to drag their feet on meeting the change in market demand because their neighbor Joe in Bevery Hills is worried about where he'll park.
    Well, you get the kind of design talent that you fund. Governments and businesses exclusively fund buildings with curb cuts and parking in front, and that's the design mentality you get.

And when contractors work out in greenfields, they can't even figure out how to shoehorn a construction site into a block. They'll ask you to rip down a building for a mere "staging area."

When governments do things to change the skill set, that is when the skill set changes. It can be passive, like making rules on historic districts, so smaller companies get bids for refurbishing and renovating and prosper and grow. Or it can be active, like subsidizing major projects to grow that particular set of skills.

We subsidize demolition and new, suburban-style construction almost exclusively. And that's what we get.

You can't blame somebody who builds parking lots and big boxes on greenfields for not knowing any other way to approach a project. They don't know it and haven't seen it and nobody funds it.

I know, but it's kind of sad that the something as cool as the Skillman Branch of the Detroit Public Library will be facing a giant parking garage. And that's all Gilbert right there. He lives in the suburbs and probably doesn't quite understand urban planning, and yet he's practically in charge of development in downtown Detroit [[along with Illitch). I do think he has and will continue do much more good than harm - I just hope it will be lasting. If Detroit is redeveloped correctly, it won't matter if Quicken Loans is bought out or disappears one day. Otherwise...?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    That building has all the charm of the Purdy library on the WSU campus... ugliest building around...
    When I walk around WSU, I see a lot of ugly buildings. Purdy never stands out as one of the ugliest.

The interior could use some work, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    New rendering that showed up in my inbox this AM.

Attachment 18131
    Wow that is boring. Nothing to see here folks...move along.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5