Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

To me it seems like many in this thread are off-base. I like WSU's initiative on improving the quality of life, whether it look urban or not. Much better than the polar opposite.

I think the response is a little too much for the event.

They have plans [[solid enough plans to hire an architect) to build on the site so it's not about "parking lots".

It's not an issue of historic preservation because the building isn't architecturally or historically significant.

It's not an issue of urbanism because the building isn't especially urban as it is. It's not anti-urban either, it just sort of in between.

So if I were to pressure anyone I would pressure WSU to build the best new building possible on the site. The street wall on Cass could be completed. The sidewalk on burrough street could be made a few feet wider to accommodate some trees and seating [[or at least enough for two people to walk past each other). You could add a few stories and get more activity on the site. And there's other stuff that a new building could do that could really improve that area.

So yeah I'm less concerned that the building is being demolished and more concerned that the new building won't be to a high standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyenimator View Post
    To me it seems like many in this thread are off-base. I like WSU's initiative on improving the quality of life, whether it look urban or not. Much better than the polar opposite.
    If we're off base... then let me ask you this question....

Does a parking lot look better than this Woodward fronting building?....
    http://www.flickriver.com/photos/712...N00/631739647/
    WSU thought so... and put up a parking lot...

Does a drain look better than this Cass Ave. Building?....
    WSU thought so... but luckily wiser heads ruled... and it's still with us.

So now WSU wants to add another parking lot fronting the main street of Detroit... and yet you still like WSU's initiatives?

Has the term "Historic Preservation" even been in your vocabulary??

WSU's initiatives are for something meant to improve human life through research. That means a lot more than a building.

WSU's initiatives are for something meant to improve human life through research. That means a lot more than a building.
    Nice try... but that is a "Red Herring" debating fallacy....

'A Red Herring is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue. The basic idea is to "win" an argument by leading attention away from the argument and to another topic.'

I should point out that providing parking doesn't improve quality of life for your employees. They should be encouraging people to walk or take public transit. Heck, they don't need to take transit really. Just park in one of their existing lots and walk a block or two.

If people walked a few blocks in each direction everyday...whether its from their office to home, or office to the parking lot it would have measurable positive effects on their health.

The public remains largely ignorant of the benefits of not driving, or at least reduced driving to work. You feel better getting a short walk in before work. It's a great way to unwind the work day. And by either consolidating parking, or reducing it you provide more land for more intensive uses like shops and restaurants.

I signed the petition and I hope more people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I think the response is a little too much for the event.

They have plans [[solid enough plans to hire an architect) to build on the site so it's not about "parking lots".

It's not an issue of historic preservation because the building isn't architecturally or historically significant.

It's not an issue of urbanism because the building isn't especially urban as it is. It's not anti-urban either, it just sort of in between.

So if I were to pressure anyone I would pressure WSU to build the best new building possible on the site. The street wall on Cass could be completed. The sidewalk on burrough street could be made a few feet wider to accommodate some trees and seating [[or at least enough for two people to walk past each other). You could add a few stories and get more activity on the site. And there's other stuff that a new building could do that could really improve that area.

So yeah I'm less concerned that the building is being demolished and more concerned that the new building won't be to a high standard.
    This is called land banking. And it's one of the worst possible forms master planning. Just because they hire an architect doesn't mean anything. They could have 100% design done and the thing may never get built. It's "about parking lots" if they are building a parking lot. I'll bet WSU will tell you any one of their future lots is up for development.

According to President Gilmour yesterday:

1) He is well aware that some people are upset about tearing down the American Beauty building. It is happening anyway.

2) The plans for that site are that a building fronting Woodward will be built after the research building is completed. It will not be a parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Nice try... but that is a "Red Herring" debating fallacy....

'A Red Herring is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue. The basic idea is to "win" an argument by leading attention away from the argument and to another topic.'
    Irrelevant? Increasing their research scope and relevance as a university is irrelevant? WTF is wrong with you?

This is the topic. How they design buildings and use the surrounding area is the byproduct. Sure, it's not optimal in terms of dense-looking urbanity, but if it's a necessary consequence in my hometown university's hope to improve, I'll take it.
    Last edited by Dyenimator; May-10-12 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    2) The plans for that site are that a building fronting Woodward will be built after the research building is completed. It will not be a parking lot.
    So it'll be a parking garage?

You are Naive.
    What are the actual plans for this so called new building? What is the timing?
    Who are the tenants?
    What does it look like?
    These are all what if's.
    There will be an empty lot in place of the American Beaity Building for 15+ years in what is the worst looking part of this "All American Road."

Why is Detroit in a bubble where history repeats mistakes over and over again? Everyother large city in America gets it, UDM Law School gets it.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/u...use050812.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    According to President Gilmour yesterday:

Irrelevant? Increasing their research scope and relevance as a university is irrelevant? WTF is wrong with you?

This is the topic. How they design buildings and use the surrounding area is the byproduct. Sure, it's not optimal in terms of dense-looking urbanity, but if it's a necessary consequence in my hometown university's hope to improve, I'll take it.
    Nothing is wrong with me... you are interjecting an argument [[improve human life thru research) that is not relevant to the discussion of historic preservation. You could say they are building a hospital to save lives... and it would still not be relevant to historic preservation.

The reasons that they are turning this into a parking lot has less to do with its' intended use, and more to do with the fact that they want to house their construction equipment on that site.... and not some noble cause to science and humanity...
    Last edited by Gistok; May-10-12 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Tone down comments...

I don't believe Gilmour for a second. Know why?

Once they knock down American Beauty and create a staging lot to build out the rest of the block ...

... what will they use for a staging area to build on the staging area? :P

And if they can find another staging area to build on the initial staging area, why didn't they USE THAT LOT IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Just a reminder, the petition can be viewed/signed/hated/loved here:

http://www.change.org/petitions/wayn...urface-parking

Also, we tipped the 600 signature mark today.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    And if they can find another staging area to build on the initial staging area, why didn't they USE THAT LOT IN THE FIRST PLACE?
    Staging areas are typically built in public right of way. All cities grant that privilege. They'd knock out a lane of parking on Woodward and close the sidewalk to store materials trailers, and move equipment.

I don't think that anyone is less than thrilled with the WSU's investment of $93 million and the re-use of the Cadillac dealership, since its a beautiful and historic structure. But like many, I just have a hard time thinking that the other building couldn't be saved as well with a bit of creative thinking. Its really difficult to imagine they need that land for "staging". Block the damn street off and use that!

At first I was not that upset over losing the American Beauty building since there will be new construction on the old used car lot. But then when I saw how large that building is, I became more disappointed. Like one of the other posters said, if parking is needed that much [[which seems unlikely) convert the building into a garage. And then perhaps re-use it for something else in the future. WSU needs to think a bit more out of the box.

How attractive would it be to attend Wayne State and live in a historic Kahn building with concrete floors, high ceilings, huge windows, open floor plans with industrial design in an area that has a very high occupancy?

Or is it more attractive to live in the Union apartments or Auburn apartments where the floors and walls are made of cardboard where you hear your neighbors and you feel like you are living in tickey tackey surburbia?

Re: Wayne State reusing American Beauty as a parking garage: The University seems totally opposed to that idea. In 2002, they knocked down a parking garage from 1924 at Cass and York so they could build ... nothing ... a gravel parking lot. Yup, they spent $100,000 to tear down a four-story parking structure.

Given this kind of history, I really don't see them adapting a non-parking structure for reuse as a parking structure.

Curbed says demo has started on the American Beauty building:

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...s-the-dust.php

New rendering that showed up in my inbox this AM.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 8.39.00 AM.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  22.7 KB

kinda boring

That building has all the charm of the Purdy library on the WSU campus... ugliest building around...

That building has all the charm of the Purdy library on the WSU campus... ugliest building around...
    You can't be serious... This building is a beauty. A total manifestation of the modern movement. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mishpo/6176131352/

Wayne's ugliest has to be either the brutalist Science Library or the Undergraduate [[poor adaptation of post modern).

I think it's Purdy......

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast