Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Intelligent urban design means building up to the streetwall. Some of us had thought WSU had come a long way in understanding that you can't just demolish everything in sight and build as if you're building in, say, Troy or Clinton Township. If they absolutely cannot re-use the building [[Were engineers consulted? Was a feasibility study done? What consulting firm was used? Local architects have a lousy record when it comes to using or renovating existing buildings.) why the hell can't the building be on the MAIN STREET IN TOWN? WHY CAN'T THE PARKING BE ADJACENT OR BEHIND?

Chances are the development team has no idea how to use Woodward, much like the mistake they made with University Towers, they intend to set their impressive building back so that all can behold it across the shimmering air over the baking blacktop. And nobody seriously looked at the American Beauty building except a walk-through with muted cries of, "Ewww."

Who says it won't be built to the streeet? The article says "Wayne State also plans to build a 75,000-square-foot addition on the north side of the building, on the site of Dalgleish's former used car lot". I'm no construction expert, but that lot is not that big that addition will probably be built up to the street on the Woodward side.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Who says it won't be built to the streeet? The article says "Wayne State also plans to build a 75,000-square-foot addition on the north side of the building, on the site of Dalgleish's former used car lot". I'm no construction expert, but that lot is not that big that addition will probably be built up to the street on the Woodward side.
    Well, because the focal point will be the former Dalgleish Cadillac, which is on Cass, not Woodward. The addition will go on Cass. The American Beauty building, the last remaining piece of Woodward's original streetwall, will become the parking lot. I don't see how this new facility has any Woodward frontage.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Well, because the focal point will be the former Dalgleish Cadillac, which is on Cass, not Woodward. The addition will go on Cass. The American Beauty building, the last remaining piece of Woodward's original streetwall, will become the parking lot. I don't see how this new facility has any Woodward frontage.
    Dalgleish's old used car lot is at Woodward/Amsterdam. IF the article is correct about the addition is going I don't see how they can built without some Woodward frontage

http://g.co/maps/zp3up

Dalgleish's old used car lot is at Woodward/Amsterdam. IF the article is correct about the addition is going I don't see how they can built without some Woodward frontage

Well, the lot is on Woodward. The building, which the article says is the focal point, is on Cass. Will they build to Woodward? Short of a promise to build on the lot, don't kid yourself. Gilmour is even being cagey, dangling to possibility of something better being built on the American Beauty site. But if the facility they are building right now is a success, where will the people park?

Again, I am not alone in being very doubtful about WSU's savvy in working within the boundaries of tasteful urban planning. And there is good reason, given the past bulldozer-happy behavior of the university.

Anyway, I hope you're right. But I wouldn't trust anything I didn't see in writing.

That's what I was thinking too. That's not a terribly large lot, so it seems that a new building would have to take up most of it. That would mitigate the loss of the American Beauty building, which is not all that much of a Beauty in its current state.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    That's what I was thinking too. That's not a terribly large lot, so it seems that a new building would have to take up most of it. That would mitigate the loss of the American Beauty building, which is not all that much of a Beauty in its current state.

Sure, she's a little beat up, but I don't think many of us who live in the neighborhood would rather see it removed. Buildings have potential, parking lots do not.

I think residents are too often left out of these discussions that affect OUR quality of life.

The Woodward frontage is cool, but the Burroughs frontage is fantastic. If you've ever walked that block, you know what I mean.

Name:  Screen shot 2012-04-17 at 1.05.29 AM.jpg
Views: 2484
Size:  25.3 KB

I bet the new traffic generated by the renovation of Dalglish can share with the GIANT TechTown lot across Amsterdam.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Sure, she's a little beat up, but I don't think many of us who live in the neighborhood would rather see it removed. Buildings have potential, parking lots do not.

I think residents are too often left out of these discussions that affect OUR quality of life.

The Woodward frontage is cool, but the Burroughs frontage is fantastic. If you've ever walked that block, you know what I mean.

Name:  Screen shot 2012-04-17 at 1.05.29 AM.jpg
Views: 2484
Size:  25.3 KB

I bet the new traffic generated by the renovation of Dalglish can share with the GIANT TechTown lot across Amsterdam.
    I had not seen the building from the Burroughs side; its larger than I thought. I can see why someone else thought it would be great for lofts.

I had not seen the building from the Burroughs side; its larger than I thought. I can see why someone else thought it would be great for lofts.
    Clearly, it won't be quite the travesty that the Lafayette Building or the Hudson's demos were, but small[[ish) scale buildings in this neighborhood have a real possibility of reuse.

I can't count how many times buildings were demolished with the promise of something to replace it, and of course, never did. This building, and most others around town, will NEVER be replicated. If the architecture of the new apartments across from Old Main are what we have to look forward to in this town, we're screwed.

To get the scope of just how large and majestic this building is, look at the bird's eye view on bing maps. If you zoom out, you can also see how the Dalglish building has no shortage of surface parking surrounding it.

http://binged.it/HFMlUt