Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    ...They put too much emphasis on attracting residents/patrons/visitors from the suburbs as the panacea to save the city. Sure, the city could use residents and money from almost any source, but the suburbs will not save the city. Again, THE SUBURBS WILL NOT SAVE THE CITY. The suburbs will never be a large source of future residents for the city.....
    In 2000 or 1990 I would have certainly agreed with that viewpoint but currently we have a new suburban population that doesn't have an irrational hatred of Detroit or the silly racial hatreds of the past. In fact most of these people were relatively happy being in Detroit in the 1990's and early 2000's. Then the bottom dropped out.

The beginnings of any comeback that Detroit has involves some of these people being drawn back by improvements made to city finances and services. The long term does depend on drawing people to the region for both jobs and quality of life but first we have to pick the low hanging fruit.

And really, there's 2 separate issues at work here.

Of course Detroit started emptying out in the 50's and 60's, it's called congestion.

Once they fixed that problem, came the riots and crime problems. That was never fixed. Not to mention the tax rate.

I like Detroit.

One thing I don't understand is why Detroiters bash D.C, NewYork, Chicago etc? All GREAT cities! ANYTIME I hear people dissing those citiesI automatically look at it as jealousy or envy. And it makes us look VERYSTUPID!

How can you not give credit where credit is due? And at thesame time, we're ALL happy and excited when Detroit has a new restaurant or anew "this or that." Doesn't that mean we want to have the sameamenities here in Detroit that D.C., Boston, Chicago or New York has? Or Denveror Milwaukee for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    The flight from the city accelerated in the postwar period, 1945-1965. This was when Detroit was considered a model city. Was "crime" the major reason for people moving out of Detroit to the suburbs during this time? Not really. There were lots of inducements for people, mostly white people, to move out: GI Bill, freeway construction, etc. This is a compelling story well told in Thomas Sugrue's book The Origins of the Urban Crisis.
    There was also the fact that by 1952, there was very little vacant land in the city. From 1946 to 1952, there was a building boom on any vacant lots in the city as intense as that going on in Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by internet_pseudopod View Post
    In 2000 or 1990 I would have certainly agreed with that viewpoint but currently we have a new suburban population that doesn't have an irrational hatred of Detroit or the silly racial hatreds of the past. In fact most of these people were relatively happy being in Detroit in the 1990's and early 2000's. Then the bottom dropped out.

The beginnings of any comeback that Detroit has involves some of these people being drawn back by improvements made to city finances and services. The long term does depend on drawing people to the region for both jobs and quality of life but first we have to pick the low hanging fruit.
    Well, when I say that Detroit will not be saved by the suburbs I'm speaking more of the nature of cities in general. NYC, for example, has a net negative migration of native residents but manages stabilization/growth by attracting out-of-region migrants to offset the losses. This is how cities have always worked. Detroit once worked like this too.

I'm from Detroit so I shouldn't really be the person Detroit is targeting, as I said in my post.
    But you don't live there. Neither do I. I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    And I still don't get Point B. If the parents had higher taxes to support culture, then their kids wouldn't move to urban areas, and would join them in the exurbs?
    To belatedly respond, the irony in the parents' clueless opposition to supporting regional taxes for things like transit and cultural assets lies in the fact that those are the kind of things that attract their college educated children to other urban cities. They consign themselves to complaining about the government trying get them to pay for things they won't use, and about the cost of airfare to San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    But you don't live there. Neither do I. I wonder why?
    Crime isn't the reason I don't live in Detroit.

Crime isn't the reason I don't live in Detroit.
    Really? Come back and live at McNichols and Gratiot and prove it?

Really? Come back and live at McNichols and Gratiot and prove it?
    Putting a smiley on a silly comment doesn't make it more valuable.

I suppose that one person writing a book has all the insights in the world. But nothing like living the history of personal experience to drive the truth.
    Well, Thomas Sugrue was born in Detroit in 1962. He grew up in Detroit, just as all these changes were happening. So I think he knows a thing or two first-hand about Detroit in the 1960s and 1970s. Then he spent years studying Detroit, researching Detroit, looking at actual facts and trying to get past the mythology that is built up about "we left Detroit because of the riots" or "we left Detroit because of the crime." It turns out that it's a lot more complicated than the stories people who moved out tell.

Would you like to read it? Expand your mind a bit? Learn what people other than your parents have to say? Shouldn't be a problem if you really are an intelligent and open-minded person. Sounds like he's one of your peers.

Crime drove my parents, and I, out of Detroit. If it weren't for that, there would be a shitload more people paying taxes in the city. But keep believing your Pied Piper, DN. Believe it or not, the city empied out from the core outward due to crime. The police did nothing to help matters.
    I didn't deny that, by the late 1970s, there was a great deal of crime in Detroit. But you claim crime was the only thing driving people out of the city, from the core outward. You know, that's really not borne out by the facts -- and facts are not some mythical pied piper. [[I'm not even sure what that means.) People moved out of Detroit because of a variety of factors, many of them inducements: automobiles freeing up people to live away from transit lines, GI Bill-subsidized home loans, freeways to carry them farther away, lower taxes. And when people of means leave a city, they leave the people who cannot leave: the poor, the uneducated, the poorly socialized.

Then there's also the matter of white-black relations, and how conservative white Detroiters' faith in the city collapsed with the reform of the Detroit Police Department.

See, there's a lot of history there, if you would only examine it. It might force you to re-examine what you think you know already, though. In which case I imagine you'll likely want to stick to your simple, almost mythological view of what happened rather than look more closely at the history.

Explain to me how Hamtramck didn't suffer the same fate as other areas in the city, up till recently. Was it better civic governance? Better people? Or a functioning police force?
    Traditionally, Polish people have been an outlier in Detroit. Unlike a lot of the Southerners who moved north for work, or the later immigrants who showed up to make money in the plants, Poles were super-invested in their communities. When you pour money into building a cathedral, community centers, social halls, parochial schools, veterans' halls, fraternal organizations, etc., you are less likely to pull up stakes and go when times get tough. In fact, behind blacks and Latinos, Poles are still a distant third ethnicity in the city of Detroit. When good people don't leave, everybody gets the benefit of their stewardship, and bad guys get watched by grandmas from behind their curtains. Neighborhood cohesion is easier. Frankly, all this makes it easier for the police to do their job.

Also, Hamtramck has been a great place to go through the immigrant experience because the Poles paved the way for new immigrants. Hamtramck has Bangladeshi people, Yemeni people, Catholic Albanian people, Bosnian people, etc. And more arrive all the time, replacing the ones who move out to Warren and Sterling Heights when they gather enough capital.

And it doesn't just end at the city line. The areas around Hamtramck in Detroit tend to be more populated, more diverse and denser. And I would say it has a lot to do with how the Poles, unlike the rest of Detroit, didn't pull up stakes and leave Hamtramck to the poor and uneducated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    There was also the fact that by 1952, there was very little vacant land in the city. From 1946 to 1952, there was a building boom on any vacant lots in the city as intense as that going on in Warren.
    Yes, but when you go through a city directory of the time, you really notice vacancies in the back of the book, where you look through the addresses, in the older parts of the city. Starting in 1946, you start to see "vacant" ... "vacant" ... "card not returned" ... "vacant" ... "vacant" ... "vacant" ...

Just because Detroit was built out doesn't mean people of means at the time wanted to live in a rooming house in Brush Park that had been abused by the Depression and four years of housing war workers ...

Warren really expanded in the 1960s, once Detroit was all built out. And I'd argue that a lot of the movement in or out of the city after 1952 had to do with political battles, federal rulings, blockbusting real estate agents, bussing schemes, etc., right up to the early 1970s. According to my latest research, when the police department was reformed in 1974, that was the last straw for a lot of conservative white Detroiters.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Putting a smiley on a silly comment doesn't make it more valuable.
    Tell that to Detroit nerd, will ya?

Tell that to Detroit nerd, will ya?
    I usually think my comments are stimulating or funny, not silly. The smileys are really more of an adornment.

Well, Thomas Sugrue was born in Detroit in 1962. He grew up in Detroit, just as all these changes were happening. So I think he knows a thing or two first-hand about Detroit in the 1960s and 1970s. Then he spent years studying Detroit, researching Detroit, looking at actual facts and trying to get past the mythology that is built up about "we left Detroit because of the riots" or "we left Detroit because of the crime." It turns out that it's a lot more complicated than the stories people who moved out tell.
    Really? So where in Detroit did he live? Lots of people were born in Detroit, and lived elsewhere in the region. Clarify his experience?

Would you like to read it? Expand your mind a bit? Learn what people other than your parents have to say? Shouldn't be a problem if you really are an intelligent and open-minded person. Sounds like he's one of your peers.
    TL;WR.
    Bottom line is, Detroit, was born, grew, got fat, and died from lack of attention. Oh yeah, and racism too. Sugrue sure was a genius, huh?

I didn't deny that, by the late 1970s, there was a great deal of crime in Detroit. But you claim crime was the only thing driving people out of the city, from the core outward. You know, that's really not borne out by the facts -- and facts are not some mythical pied piper. [[I'm not even sure what that means.) People moved out of Detroit because of a variety of factors, many of them inducements: automobiles freeing up people to live away from transit lines, GI Bill-subsidized home loans, freeways to carry them farther away, lower taxes. And when people of means leave a city, they leave the people who cannot leave: the poor, the uneducated, the poorly socialized.
    Once again, the freeways? I expected that.

Then there's also the matter of white-black relations, and how conservative white Detroiters' faith in the city collapsed with the reform of the Detroit Police Department.
    See, there's a lot of history there, if you would only examine it. It might force you to re-examine what you think you know already, though. In which case I imagine you'll likely want to stick to your simple, almost mythological view of what happened rather than look more closely at the history.
    Already have examined it, close up. No need to go back there and endlessly piss about what has been done by others, as you do daily. Set about to fixing what is wrong? Nah, you can't complain about yourself, can you?

Traditionally, Polish people have been an outlier in Detroit. Unlike a lot of the Southerners who moved north for work, or the later immigrants who showed up to make money in the plants, Poles were super-invested in their communities. When you pour money into building a cathedral, community centers, social halls, parochial schools, veterans' halls, fraternal organizations, etc., you are less likely to pull up stakes and go when times get tough. In fact, behind blacks and Latinos, Poles are still a distant third ethnicity in the city of Detroit. When good people don't leave, everybody gets the benefit of their stewardship, and bad guys get watched by grandmas from behind their curtains. Neighborhood cohesion is easier. Frankly, all this makes it easier for the police to do their job.
    They have some great neighborhoods in Sterling Heights and Warren from what I heard.

Also, Hamtramck has been a great place to go through the immigrant experience because the Poles paved the way for new immigrants. Hamtramck has Bangladeshi people, Yemeni people, Catholic Albanian people, Bosnian people, etc. And more arrive all the time, replacing the ones who move out to Warren and Sterling Heights when they gather enough capital.
    And follow the ones that left out Joseph Campau and I-75 when they get enough money and sense to leave.

And it doesn't just end at the city line. The areas around Hamtramck in Detroit tend to be more populated, more diverse and denser. And I would say it has a lot to do with how the Poles, unlike the rest of Detroit, didn't pull up stakes and leave Hamtramck to the poor and uneducated.
    Right. Like Chene street?

Really? So where in Detroit did he live? Lots of people were born in Detroit, and lived elsewhere in the region. Clarify his experience?
    He was born in the city and grew up in the city. Why don't you read his book?

TL;WR.
    I must say, I don't understand. You have no desire to read up on the history of the city, yet you categorically seem to believe you understand the history of the city. This is willful ignorance, isn't it? Why should anybody take you seriously?

Bottom line is, Detroit, was born, grew, got fat, and died from lack of attention. Oh yeah, and racism too. Sugrue sure was a genius, huh?
    This is your analysis of a book you haven't read. A book you have said you will not read. That's a fail, friend.

Once again, the freeways? I expected that.
    That's just one factor. Are you not reading? After all, I've gone to the trouble to respond to your questions. The least you could do is read and make intelligent comments ...

Already have examined it, close up. No need to go back there and endlessly piss about what has been done by others, as you do daily. Set about to fixing what is wrong? Nah, you can't complain about yourself, can you?
    This is not about blaming anybody. This is about understanding what has happened and why. Because if you don't understand the complex forces that created what we have today, you will overly simplify what happened, or arrive at conclusions that are wrong. Unless you're unconcerned with that, and are willing to repeat the mistakes of the past. I won't blame ignorance, but willful ignorance is a crime.

They have some great neighborhoods in Sterling Heights and Warren from what I heard.
    I take the time to answer your questions, and this is the kind of glib response you offer? That's not dialogue, friend. That's trolling. Pure and simple.

And follow the ones that left out Joseph Campau and I-75 when they get enough money and sense to leave.
    First of all, Joseph Campau doesn't intersect I-75. And, even though Hamtramck was more than 80 percent Polish in the 1980s, yes, quite a few of them have died off and some have even migrated north. It's interesting how new ethnic groups are following the same path of Poles who have left. That friendliness to immigration has helped Hamtramck a lot, making it the most diverse city in the state, if not the country.

As for having enough money or sense to leave, I think you miss the point. The reason Hamtramck has done so well is that so many Poles stayed, enriching local institutions, not splitting and taking their resources with them. You can either stay and defend your investment or you can take your marbles and leave. Luckily, Hamtramckans decided for the most part to stay and protect their considerable investments.

Right. Like Chene street?
    Poles in Detroit had their own "northern migration" starting around 1900. In 1903, the Packard Plant opened on East Grand Boulevard, which was then the outskirts of town. Poles started moving northward, to live closer to the factory. When Dodge Main opened in 1914, the movement was in full swing and what is now Hamtramck started filling in. By the 1970s, the neighborhood around Dodge Main was more integrated than Hamtramck. Thanks to General Motors, which could have located its plant elsewhere but chose to have Poletown demolished by the city, a barrier was erected between the old neighborhood and Hamtramck. And Poles did live down around there south of the freeway. Several lived there until they died. I had the pleasure of seeing a photo documentary of the residents of that neighborhood, and it was a good mix until even 20 years ago. Unfortunately, those old folks don't live forever.

There is a block of really cool people that live on Farnsworth Street down there, just west of Moran.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=chene,...307.88,,0,1.31

Take a look. These are people who've bought up the whole street, more or less, and know each other, watch the street, behave like a cohesive neighborhood, much like the Poles of the neighborhood's heyday. They're not leaving. They're not taking their resources and splitting. And, as a result, the street looks great. And that's with crime, spotty police service, etc.

That's my point, really. What makes a neighborhood good? When good people stay there and defend it. What makes a neighborhood bad? When good people leave and take away their resources. It's a rule of thumb, and there are some variables at play, but that's why Hamtramck and that block of Farnsworth Street survive.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    To belatedly respond, the irony in the parents' clueless opposition to supporting regional taxes for things like transit and cultural assets lies in the fact that those are the kind of things that attract their college educated children to other urban cities.
    I don't think that's true at all. Regionalism isn't a necessary reciepe for success. Nor is public support for high culture.

Successful cities are often less regonalized than those in Michigan. NYC has a metro area that spans four states, and there's no degree of cooperation whatsoever. There are no suburban dollars going to the MET or MOMA. A typical suburbanite in CT or PA would laugh if you asked to raise their local taxes to fund an expansion of the MET.

SF, DC, Boston, etc. all seem to be, if anything, less regionalized than SE Michigan. DC spans three states. the Bay Area is a giant patchwork of competing cities, and Boston is a tiny island in a sea of centuries-old established towns and villages.

Postcollegiate types don't move to Brooklyn or San Francisco because of regionalism or high culture.

They move primary because of jobs, and secondarily, because of the urban environment [[appeals of urbanism itself, massive concentration of dating partners, following their college friends, cities are trendy, etc.).

But, first, they need a job. So, for example, New Orleans is cool and has an interesting urban environment, but without a strong professional market, it doesn't attract many outsiders.

He was born in the city and grew up in the city. Why don't you read his book?
    Anybody that you worship as devotedly as that must be not worth the read.

I must say, I don't understand. You have no desire to read up on the history of the city, yet you categorically seem to believe you understand the history of the city. This is willful ignorance, isn't it? Why should anybody take you seriously?

I never asked you to take me seriously. I don't take you seriously at all, so we are even, I guess.

This is your analysis of a book you haven't read. A book you have said you will not read. That's a fail, friend.
    I read the Cliff Notes.
    Once America's "arsenal of democracy," Detroit over the last fifty years has become the symbol of the American urban crisis. In this reappraisal of racial and economic inequality in modern America, Thomas Sugrue explains how Detroit and many other once prosperous industrial cities have become the sites of persistent racialized poverty. He challenges the conventional wisdom that urban decline is the product of the social programs and racial fissures of the 1960s. Probing beneath the veneer of 1950s prosperity and social consensus, Sugrue traces the rise of a new ghetto, solidified by changes in the urban economy and labor market and by racial and class segregation.
    In this provocative revision of postwar American history, Sugrue finds cities already fiercely divided by race and devastated by the exodus of industries. He focuses on urban neighborhoods, where white working-class homeowners mobilized to prevent integration as blacks tried to move out of the crumbling and overcrowded inner city. Weaving together the history of workplaces, unions, civil rights groups, political organizations, and real estate agencies, Sugrue finds the roots of today's urban poverty in a hidden history of racial violence, discrimination, and deindustrialization that reshaped the American urban landscape after World War II.
    In other words, the same blah blah blah you have been running here for years. Your point?

That's just one factor. Are you not reading? After all, I've gone to the trouble to respond to your questions. The least you could do is read and make intelligent comments ...
    Don't be so put off. You could be actually working, instead of trolling a message board.

This is not about blaming anybody. This is about understanding what has happened and why. Because if you don't understand the complex forces that created what we have today, you will overly simplify what happened, or arrive at conclusions that are wrong. Unless you're unconcerned with that, and are willing to repeat the mistakes of the past. I won't blame ignorance, but willful ignorance is a crime.
    Why aren't you in jail then? Like I said, the past is done. Move on?

I take the time to answer your questions, and this is the kind of glib response you offer? That's not dialogue, friend. That's trolling. Pure and simple.
    Thank you!

First of all, Joseph Campau doesn't intersect I-75. And, even though Hamtramck was more than 80 percent Polish in the 1980s, yes, quite a few of them have died off and some have even migrated north. It's interesting how new ethnic groups are following the same path of Poles who have left. That friendliness to immigration has helped Hamtramck a lot, making it the most diverse city in the state, if not the country.
    I never said I did say they intersected. Exit routes. One surface street, just to make you happy.

As for having enough money or sense to leave, I think you miss the point. The reason Hamtramck has done so well is that so many Poles stayed, enriching local institutions, not splitting and taking their resources with them. You can either stay and defend your investment or you can take your marbles and leave. Luckily, Hamtramckans decided for the most part to stay and protect their considerable investments.
    Good thing they had a police force to back them up.
    Sonn enough that will change though, unfortunately.

Poles in Detroit had their own "northern migration" starting around 1900. In 1903, the Packard Plant opened on East Grand Boulevard, which was then the outskirts of town. Poles started moving northward, to live closer to the factory. When Dodge Main opened in 1914, the movement was in full swing and what is now Hamtramck started filling in. By the 1970s, the neighborhood around Dodge Main was more integrated than Hamtramck. Thanks to General Motors, which could have located its plant elsewhere but chose to have Poletown demolished by the city, a barrier was erected between the old neighborhood and Hamtramck. And Poles did live down around there south of the freeway. Several lived there until they died. I had the pleasure of seeing a photo documentary of the residents of that neighborhood, and it was a good mix until even 20 years ago. Unfortunately, those old folks don't live forever.
    Their kids had choices. They chose not to live next to the oncinerator, or the stockyards, or the rendering plant, or the hulk of the Packard.

There is a block of really cool people that live on Farnsworth Street down there, just west of Moran.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=chene,...307.88,,0,1.31

Take a look. These are people who've bought up the whole street, more or less, and know each other, watch the street, behave like a cohesive neighborhood, much like the Poles of the neighborhood's heyday. They're not leaving. They're not taking their resources and splitting. And, as a result, the street looks great. And that's with crime, spotty police service, etc.

That's my point, really. What makes a neighborhood good? When good people stay there and defend it. What makes a neighborhood bad? When good people leave and take away their resources. It's a rule of thumb, and there are some variables at play, but that's why Hamtramck and that block of Farnsworth Street survive

Been there. Wait till the church closes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I like to go sailing in the summer months with some friends that's one of the nice things about the Nautical Mile in SCS.
    I noticed that you've mentioned the Nautical Mile twice so far on this thread. Maybe it's going back to my childhood days when my friends and I would ride our bikes and try to go fishing and be kicked out every time in Grosse Pointe and St. Clair Shores. I personally think places like the Nautical Mile are part of the problem with the area. There's an attitude throughout the area that says, "This is OUR water and you're not welcome here unless you own a boat or a canal home. Oh sure you can look but don't come too close" Hell, if a person from another place went driving down Jefferson in St. Clair Shores, the only way he could tell that there was a lake there was to see all the stores selling boats and boat- related stuff. You can't even see the lake!

Anybody that you worship as devotedly as that must be not worth the read.
    Haha. Worship? No, I think it's good scholarship. So do a lot of people studying cities. You know, the serious ones willing to look at something instead of rattle off a bunch of inherited prejudices...

I never asked you to take me seriously. I don't take you seriously at all, so we are even, I guess.
    Well, it seems to me that deciding to participate in a discussion and ask questions implies a willingness to offer intelligent commentary and take replies seriously. Otherwise, you're just trolling, right? And you wouldn't happen to be a troll. We all know that.

I read the Cliff Notes.
    How glib.

In other words, the same blah blah blah you have been running here for years. Your point?
    No, the book is much more nuanced. I think you'd really benefit from reading it. Unfortunately, since it's pretty obvious you're neither interested in intelligent discussion nor expanding your mind, I believe you will not.

Don't be so put off. You could be actually working, instead of trolling a message board.
    Projection is a sophisticated psychological concept, so I won't get into it. But it fits that remark perfectly.

Why aren't you in jail then? Like I said, the past is done. Move on?
    As you charge forward repeating the mistakes of your ancestors, I wish you well.

On being a troll:
    Thank you!
    You're welcome.

I never said I did say they intersected. Exit routes. One surface street, just to make you happy.
    I am happy.

Good thing they had a police force to back them up.
    Sonn enough that will change though, unfortunately.
    Well, Hamtramck marks 100 years in 2022. So far, so good. All my friends who live in Hamtramck seem pretty happy. Sorry if that frustrates you.

Their kids had choices. They chose not to live next to the oncinerator, or the stockyards, or the rendering plant, or the hulk of the Packard.
    Yes, those choices. Stay and contribute to a neighborhood that's diverse and interesting, defending your investment against blight and crime. Or running away and taking your money with you, and then blaming the crime for what your neighborhood becomes.

Frankly, I begin to understand your rationalization of the choices your family made.

Been there. Wait till the church closes.
    They don't go to church, so I don't know what that means.

Thank you for being a persistent troll. That was fun and rewarding! I got to make a lot of good points, clarify what I think and feel, and you got to ignore all of them.

And you even had the courage to admit that you're trolling! I'm proud of you!

Have a nice day, Townone!

So I am kinda slow at this in the end Are suburbanites really aware of how unattractive living in metro Detroit is to outsiders or outstaters [[new word of the week) or are they not?
    Last edited by Richard; April-19-12 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added extra l to the word really

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So I am kinda slow at this in the end Are suburbanites really aware of how unattractive living in metro Detroit is to outsiders or outstaters [[new word of the week) or are they not?
    That, my friend, is a discussion that apparently threatened a few of our trolls and they have managed to derail all further discussion of the matter. Go a few pages back and you'll find the interesting discussion we WERE having.

Haha. Worship? No, I think it's good scholarship. So do a lot of people studying cities. You know, the serious ones willing to look at something instead of rattle off a bunch of inherited prejudices...
    See, that's the whole point. Racism as explanation isn't a logical concept when the alleged targets of racism are fleeing Detroit in alarming rates. Tell me why these people are leaving?

Well, it seems to me that deciding to participate in a discussion and ask questions implies a willingness to offer intelligent commentary and take replies seriously. Otherwise, you're just trolling, right? And you wouldn't happen to be a troll. We all know that.
    And then I suppose that you are just an innocent bystander in all this? I have listened to your points of view for a while, and can see that you have no intention of ever changing your point of view, no matter what anyone says. So why does it matter? For all I know, you are trolling everyone just as hard as I may be.

How glib.
    No, it's how now, brown cow.

No, the book is much more nuanced. I think you'd really benefit from reading it. Unfortunately, since it's pretty obvious you're neither interested in intelligent discussion nor expanding your mind, I believe you will not.

Much more nuanced, huh? That's good. I'm glad that he doesn't come off as a one trick pony. Still not interested in the racism angle.

Projection is a sophisticated psychological concept, so I won't get into it. But it fits that remark perfectly.
    How so? Please expound on your street-savvy psychological assessment. Can you wear a silly hat to make your point more believable?

As you charge forward repeating the mistakes of your ancestors, I wish you well.
    Not going to happen, but thanks for the sentiments. You seem to be making the same mistakes though, I wish you well.
    On being a troll:

You're welcome.
    Don't mention it.

I am happy.
    Said the troll.

Well, Hamtramck marks 100 years in 2022. So far, so good. All my friends who live in Hamtramck seem pretty happy. Sorry if that frustrates you.
    wait.. you actually have FRIENDS?

Yes, those choices. Stay and contribute to a neighborhood that's diverse and interesting, defending your investment against blight and crime. Or running away and taking your money with you, and then blaming the crime for what your neighborhood becomes.
    Doing that now. I don't have time to piss about and worry about YOUR problems.

Frankly, I begin to understand your rationalization of the choices your family made.
    Not really likely. I'll wait until you get your ass beat a few times in another 10 years or so and robbed. I bet then you may discover what I am talking about. Maybe not having to wait that long, probably.

They don't go to church, so I don't know what that means.
    I guess you don't understand what stabilization means then, either.

Thank you for being a persistent troll. That was fun and rewarding! I got to make a lot of good points, clarify what I think and feel, and you got to ignore all of them.
    Not all, just some.

See, that's the whole point. Racism as explanation isn't a logical concept when the alleged targets of racism are fleeing Detroit in alarming rates. Tell me why these people are leaving?
    I could. Maybe someday I might. To somebody I thought was going to listen. But since you aren't going to, I'll do something more rewarding with my time.

Have a nice day!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast