Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I am aware of that. I am just a little miffed over Poobert's rather insulting and ignorant description of me
    You don't live in Detroit. You don't live in Metro Detroit. You don't live in the region. You don't even live in the state of Michigan. You haven't contributed anything to the above in over 50 years so tell us again why we should give a shit about what the fuck you have to say on the matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitrobert View Post
    You don't live in Detroit. You don't live in Metro Detroit. You don't live in the region. You don't even live in the state of Michigan. You haven't contributed anything to the above in over 50 years so tell us again why we should give a shit about what the fuck you have to say on the matter?
    Why don't you tell him how you really feel?

Hermod has some good memories of the old days to post, and you can tell he's a heavy reader and, if sometimes infuriatingly stubborn, he is at least thoughtful in his remarks. Frankly, he's no more contrarian that I am.

I grew up in Detroit. I was educated in the Detroit Public Schools. Most of my family still live in an arc from Ann Arbor through Oxford to New Baltimore. I am also quite an afficionado of the Detroit area streetcar and interurban systems. I feel that I have contributed to many of the discussions here regarding the history of public transit and the highway systems of the area.
    Last edited by Hermod; April-17-12 at 04:33 PM.

Because he's one of many forumers who's posted here for a long time and who just happens to live elsewhere... such as the Netherlands, Toronto, Brooklyn, the Carolina's, California, Nevada, Oregon... and all points in between... and all are welcome to post here to give their own unique perspective on what this region is doing wrong... and give other ideas on what it may take to correct the situation...

Its funny when I was in the service I learned more about WW2 sitting on a park bench next to an elderly gentleman in England then I ever learned in school.

Dude, chill out, Hermod is a good guy. Don't take it so seriously.

Stromberg2

"Yes, you're right, but Houston [[and Dallas) remain less dense and less urban than even Detroit."

Look at Table 5. This table refers to metro areas, not the city proper, but considering how truly sprawling the Dallas area is, I thought it was fascinating.

And really, there's 2 separate issues at work here.

Of course Detroit started emptying out in the 50's and 60's, it's called congestion.

Once they fixed that problem, came the riots and crime problems. That was never fixed. Not to mention the tax rate.

I like Detroit.

One thing I don't understand is why Detroiters bash D.C, NewYork, Chicago etc? All GREAT cities! ANYTIME I hear people dissing those citiesI automatically look at it as jealousy or envy. And it makes us look VERYSTUPID!

How can you not give credit where credit is due? And at thesame time, we're ALL happy and excited when Detroit has a new restaurant or anew "this or that." Doesn't that mean we want to have the sameamenities here in Detroit that D.C., Boston, Chicago or New York has? Or Denveror Milwaukee for that matter?

So I am kinda slow at this in the end Are suburbanites really aware of how unattractive living in metro Detroit is to outsiders or outstaters [[new word of the week) or are they not?
    Last edited by Richard; April-19-12 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added extra l to the word really

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So I am kinda slow at this in the end Are suburbanites really aware of how unattractive living in metro Detroit is to outsiders or outstaters [[new word of the week) or are they not?
    That, my friend, is a discussion that apparently threatened a few of our trolls and they have managed to derail all further discussion of the matter. Go a few pages back and you'll find the interesting discussion we WERE having.

townonenorth:Waaaahhh! Why won't anyone play with me? Waaaahhh!
    Name:  child-whining-dave-mosher.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  26.9 KB

Here is the Glamour France cover about Detroit mentioned previously. I have access to the electronic version of the magazine, and will try to post a summary.

Wow. I really didn't expect this thread to turn into this. I wanted to get a general understanding of how the Metro-Detroit suburbs perceive themselves nationally. By reading the comments I think I got my answer. It seems the same mentality I see in Detroit proper is also in the suburbs. smh. I don't know how long this fight has been going on in this region but I realize that there is a battle here between the provincial and cosmopolitan residents. It just sucks because unlike other metropolitan areas we have the potential to be world-class if we can get out of our own way. Hopefully there are citizens [[Gen X and younger) that are willing to take leadership positions in this area. It's pretty obvious from this thread and from what I see day to day that too many people are stuck in the 70s and 80s while our position of relevance sinks lower and lower.

Well, although the series of somewhat insulting pictures was somewhat atypical, it isn't at all surprising that the thread turned into what it did. A lot happened to get Detroit into the position it is now in, and that gives people a lot to pick and choose from in order to create a narrative that suits them. Once people start talking about perceptions, they move to reality and then history.

In my view though, the big problem isn't that people can't agree on the past; it is that they can't agree on the present or future.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6