Quote Originally Posted by Detroitrobert View Post
That's great. He's got stories from those couple of years of his adult life that he lived in the area. I'm sure those stories are absolutely fascinating. Maybe he can write a book titled, "Detroit: Those handful of years that I lived there in the late 50's". Better yet, start a fucking thread on his enthralling tales and he and Tponetom can duke it out over who has the better yarns. I'll tell you what he SHOULDN'T do...he shouldn't go around telling the people that live here, work here, pay taxes here, invest here and try to improve things here that they are a bunch of Sim City players. A guy whose sole contribution to the state in the last 50 years has been filling up his gas tank on the way through shouldn't be criticising the people that actually do contribute, even if it's from Hamtramck Heights.
I hear what you're saying, but I also think it's dangerous to de-legitimize what someone is saying just because they "don't live here". That just breeds insularity which is the gist of what the o/p was complaining about in the first place. I disagree with Hermod a lot but he does add perspective, particularly since he's one of the few people here who actually lived in 2 million resident Detroit.

This thread jumped the shark though, especially when one of the resident trolls [[with such an accurate user name) jumped in and started throwing out personal attacks to disrupt the discussion.