I'm not one of these "operate government solely as a business" guys. I only use the words "hand over fist" in stark contrast to the situation we're in right now, which is the opposite of "hand over fist". I want to take care of the poor, too. But are we really taking care of the poor right now? It's arguable that we're not really taking care of anyone right now. You want to take care of the poor? You need money. You want money? You need to attract people who make money.

As to the second point, yes, it is irrelevant if the whole city is gentrified. And when we get to the point where even 75% of the city is gentrified, I think it's important that we continue to explore how we can take care of our poorest residents.

But man...we're talking about a city that is poorer than poor. With costs designed for twice as many average households. And the household that are here earn much less than average. It's a stretch to say that even 20% of our land is sustainable and functional. Maybe, what...3% of our land is gentrified?

We need to be basing our policies on how to bring MORE money in to the city. And despite my general philosophical alignment with social and economic progressivism, Detroit is the case study for where pro-growth and pro-money policies are desperately needed.