Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Budget cuts could harm Detroit elections.

Very interesting....

"Detroit City Clerk Janice Winfrey says it is not possible to conduct a presidential election for city residents with the money Mayor Dave Bing has proposed in his new budget.

Bing wants to cut overall spending by 25% in the city Department of Elections and slice the budget for the presidential election in half.

"You can't do it. You just can't do it," Winfrey said. "We're mandated by law to do certain things, to have certain things in place, to have a certain number of poll workers. There's no way we can conduct a presidential election."

Full Article

We can all read the newspaper, what are your comments?

Perhaps Ms. Winfrey would have more money if she didn't plaster every wall in the Clerks' Office with her photograph. Talk about an ego trip............

Detroit elections are never a picnic. What else is new?

Thanks for posting, brizee. I don't always take time to read the dailies, and probably would have missed this article.

This is just one more example of how Bing, the businessperson, is ignorant of the political process. I always figured he was a closet Republican anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Thanks for posting, brizee. I don't always take time to read the dailies, and probably would have missed this article.

This is just one more example of how Bing, the businessperson, is ignorant of the political process. I always figured he was a closet Republican anyway.
    No problem. Even if the forum police disapprove.

As to your undercover Republican point...I'm trying very hard to reign in some of pessimistic views on the goings on of the world, and especially this city. But alot of what's going on in this place, what services and projects get cut, what resources get allocated, what arms get twisted and arbitrary carrot and stick policies.

It's all just so...coincidental. Inclination to conspiracy theories runs strong in my blood. Guess I have my dad to thank.

I do wonder though whether or not the city is opening itself to get slapped upside the head by the Feds. I have no clue of the obligations or standards, just seems like dangerous territory.

Of course the way bing/snyder/the legislature has been gun-twirling and then shooting themselves in the foot, they actually may not have even thought it through.