I don't ever remember being able to ride horses there but The Detroit Mounted Police Stable were there and they had a exercise merry-go-round they use to hook them up to there.

There was also a great dog taring field there for the Police Dogs that the would allow the public to use when they were not using it. I spent a lot of time there with a Malamute named Kye. Great dog.

All of that was just across the road from the Tobaggon slides and Ice Rink in the winter and where they had the Rock Concerts in the Summer of 69.

My earliest memories of Rouge were of Brennen Pools. In the late fifties the Boys Club on Ferris street in Highland Park would bus us all the way over there to go swimming. I think it cost 10 cents and I would have to collect pop bottles to get the money.

When we lived on Hazelton off Joy road just west of the park we could here th RC planes when they were flying them. We also heard a lot of real planes that used Rough Park to line up to Metro and flew low rite over our house.

My fondness memory of Rouge was when the Cub House from the Golf Course called our house on a Saturday morning and said they were detaining my 10 year old son and 2 of his friends. They asked me to come to pick them up because of vandalism. I was furious on the way there. When I arrived the grounds keeper explained to me they had three groups in a row come in and claim a hole in one on 16. Hole #16 is a par three across the river with a straight op banking about 30 feet high on the other side. The hole is only about 60 yards but you can't see the green at all. The kids were hiding in the bushes near the green and running over to put one of the balls in the hole before the groups to get up the hill to see anything. Apparently it was a older brother of one of the other 2 boys who put them up to it. I cooled down after hearing the crime and had a hard time not to laugh. I did have to give our a punishment but I kept it to a minimum.