Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by jefferson78 View Post
    This has happened in every state that has repealed the helmet law.
    If they choose to ride without a cap, so be it. Just make sure you carry loads of extra insurance, you may need it. I refuse to pay for your stupidity.
    You don't have that option. You're paying for it through increase in premiums to us all.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    You don't have that option. You're paying for it through increase in premiums to us all.
    Yeah, I know. Thanks Snyder. Another one of your brainless edicts.

Taking recent history into account...Snyder just might not be as smart as [[self) advertised.

I even drunk the Koolaid.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Taking recent history into account...Snyder just might not be as smart as [[self) advertised.

I even drunk the Koolaid.

I think Snyder signed it without his helmet on.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Dumbest move ever.
    Told ya so!

I didn't read all the posts, but here's my 2 cents worth.

A downright stupid idea. In 1987 [[the same day Steve Reynolds was almost killed when he flipped the U-10 Cellular One in Madison) my wife was knocked off her bike by a large dog. We were moving along at about 15 mph at the time. The fall was not hard, but due to an improperly adjusted chin strap....her fault and she admits it.....her helmet flew off after the first impact with the pavement.

It was the second and third hit that did the damage. 10 days in the hospital, a couple months of rehab, and 6 months off work. Thankfully, we had insurance to cover the medical bills. Alas, the guy who let the dog run loose didn't. So, in my opinion,
    anyone who rides without a helmet should pay every dime if his hospital care resulting from an accident that he's been involved in, if only for being a stupid fool to not take any precaution.

The next spring, she climbed back on a bike, and we rode together until a minor stroke a couple years ago made it unsafe for me to ride. I really miss it.

Last spring I saw guy on a bike. His son [[who had to be less than 10) was haning on the back holding on to his sides. Neither had a helmet when they came off the lodge onto throughh Wyoming.

Most irresponsible damn thing I've ever witnessed. Though I guess technically not illegal!

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    I didn't read all the posts, but here's my 2 cents worth.

A downright stupid idea. In 1987 [[the same day Steve Reynolds was almost killed when he flipped the U-10 Cellular One in Madison) my wife was knocked off her bike by a large dog. We were moving along at about 15 mph at the time. The fall was not hard, but due to an improperly adjusted chin strap....her fault and she admits it.....her helmet flew off after the first impact with the pavement.

It was the second and third hit that did the damage. 10 days in the hospital, a couple months of rehab, and 6 months off work. Thankfully, we had insurance to cover the medical bills. Alas, the guy who let the dog run loose didn't. So, in my opinion,
    anyone who rides without a helmet should pay every dime if his hospital care resulting from an accident that he's been involved in, if only for being a stupid fool to not take any precaution.

The next spring, she climbed back on a bike, and we rode together until a minor stroke a couple years ago made it unsafe for me to ride. I really miss it.
    Good story, good post. I'll back all this "Let those that ride decide" nonsense, if Snyder signs a "Let those who this'll end up costing them decide" bill.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Last spring I saw guy on a bike. His son [[who had to be less than 10) was haning on the back holding on to his sides. Neither had a helmet when they came off the lodge onto throughh Wyoming.

Most irresponsible damn thing I've ever witnessed. Though I guess technically not illegal!
    I thought you had to be 21 or older to ride without a helmet, so that's probably illegal if not child endangerment.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoforlife View Post
    What a stupid law.
    It's looking more and more like Snyder is textbook example of "smart dumb".

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    ...snip...anyone who rides without a helmet should pay every dime if his hospital care resulting from an accident that he's been involved in, if only for being a stupid fool to not take any precaution....snip...
    I've always thought this made a lot of sense. But I wonder if there are any good studies on the effect on insurance costs in states with/without helmet laws.

I have two friends who have been in serious cycle accidents, and then remain fans of no-helmets. Seems odd to me -- but they argue that its safer. Even after being injured themselves.

One of the great things about America is the ability of states to try things. But its only good if we learn from it.

make the motorcycle manf pay for it.
    make them design a motorcycle that needs no helmet.
    some kind of 5 point and special chair i'm guessing.
    a roof? a rollbar? a sidebar?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5