Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Gov. Snyder just signed the optional motorcycle helmet bill into law this morning

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Dumbest move ever.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Dumbest move ever.
    100% agree.

Dumbest move ever.
    Told ya so!

I don't much give a care, but anyone who rides a motorcycle without a helmet doesn't have much in the way of brains to protect anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I don't much give a care, but anyone who rides a motorcycle without a helmet doesn't have much in the way of brains to protect anyway.
    I care because this will mean increases in insurance costs. This governor is speaking out of both sides of his mouth. Civil servants were forced to take a big hit January 1 in order to decrease the cost of medical insurance, now this will increase it. Expect it to get even more harder and more expensive to get car insurance.

This will increase vehicle insurance for all, and increase medical costs for all. Will lead to more injuries and deaths.

Idiotic law, and I voted for Snyder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    This will increase vehicle insurance for all, and increase medical costs for all. Will lead to more injuries and deaths.
    Agreed. I already envision the scenario -- one of these riders will end up severely injured requiring long term care and a lawyer will sue the insurance company regardless of any limits or waivers previously agreed to and the costs will be passed on to everyone.

I care because this will mean increases in insurance costs. This governor is speaking out of both sides of his mouth. Civil servants were forced to take a big hit January 1 in order to decrease the cost of medical insurance, now this will increase it. Expect it to get even more harder and more expensive to get car insurance.
    This, unfortunately this is going to effect us all despite the idea of it "protecting individual rights." Idiotic move.

Good point. And what about the crotch rocket [[speed bike) operators and riders...? I find them to be far more dangerous and risk taking than the traditional leather and loud-pipes motorcyclists. I've been driving the freeways sometimes have had them come up in twos, threes, and more BETWEEN the lanes doing over 90 mph! Weaving in and out of lanes!

It's pretty scary and I was told by an high powered bike owner that if you see those bikes come up fast between the lanes or cutting lanes "DON'T change lanes, just let them thru" as they usually come in a group! Already sometimes they're not properly dressed for protection in an accident: women in shorts, tank tops riding these things... now no helmet?
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-15-12 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    How true !!

With all the problems in our state why was this a priority?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    My thought as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I don't agree with that thinking. Our lawmakers are capable of doing more than one thing at a time.

Yes, this may raise our rates, however, to me it makes sense. We shouldn't be mandating people's decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Our lawmakers are capable of doing more than one thing at a time.
    What? No, we're talking about the Michigan Legislature here. I think you're confusing them with some other lawmaking body.

what about minors? hopefully minors will still be forced to have headwear [[and hopefully a jacket of some kind)..

Driving is a privilege is the first thing you learned in drivers Ed. It is not a right. My biggest concern is having all these new wards of the state especially if the unlimited medical coverage is reduced like some bills in the legislature are trying to do.

Does anyone believe that if motorcycles were invented today, with all the laws governing automobiles, they would have any chance of being legalized? Yet, the gov't says it's okay to fly off these things head first into the pavement without protection. Very bizarre.

I guess if you're over 18 pass the required tests and have an additional $20,000 in medical insurance [[important requirement) and you want to take the risk when studies have shown that helmets give you a better chance of survival in an accident then have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I guess if you're over 18 pass the required tests and have an additional $20,000 in medical insurance [[important requirement) and you want to take the risk when studies have shown that helmets give you a better chance of survival in an accident then have at it.
    Between medical expenses and living expenses, $20k is a drop in the bucket for a brain injured person.

Unsafe at any speed.

Live to ride, ride to die.
    I'll keep my 4000 pound safety cage.

When does it go into effect?

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    Unsafe at any speed.

Live to ride, ride to die.
    I'll keep my 4000 pound safety cage.
    I wish everyone could ride a motorcycle at some point in their life to understand what drivers of automobiles take for granted everyday. Riding a motorcycle makes you realize how unsafe we all are on the road [[and it's not the motorcycle, scooter [[including disability scooters), bicycle, or the pedestrian endangering our lives). It is more dangerous than ever with the amount of drivers texting and web surfing at drivers fingertips while operating 4000 pounds of lethal inertia.

He is a nerd and an idiot. I am a Republican and I supported him. In the past now

Quote Originally Posted by Strathcona View Post
    I wish everyone could ride a motorcycle at some point in their life to understand what drivers of automobiles take for granted everyday. Riding a motorcycle makes you realize how unsafe we all are on the road [[and it's not the motorcycle, scooter [[including disability scooters), bicycle, or the pedestrian endangering our lives). It is more dangerous than ever with the amount of drivers texting and web surfing at drivers fingertips while operating 4000 pounds of lethal inertia.
    I used to ride, and there seems to be a fair amount of animosity against motorcycle riders out there -- I was run off the road twice, and the manner in which it happened signified intent. On the other hand, there are a fair amount of knuckleheads [[not the old Harley engines) on bikes and a-h's running open headers. If I were an insurance company, I would charge a hefty premium on a helmetless rider.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast