Detroit River Fishing

The Great Detroit Flood of 2014 resulted from the second largest downpour in Detroit history. It closed several expressways and poured into thousands of Metro Detroit basements. The 4.72 inches of rain was the highest daily recorded rainfall since July 31, 1925, when 4.74 inches of rain fell. What went wrong? Could it have been prevented?

READ MORE »


New? Join DetroitYES»

DISCUSSING ALL THINGS DETROIT-WINDSOR SINCE 1999

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 112
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,201

    Default

    Yeah, they seem to take the most risks. I almost always pray when I see them zip thru past me as I am driving - hoping I don't come upon carnage up ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    I've always said, if I see one of these crotch rocket a-holes who blew past me at over 100mph in a crash a few miles ahead I would not stop to help. Even less likely too if they don't have a helmet on.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    They lifted the helmet law down in Flordia a while back. Now you hardly ever see anyone riding with one on down there.
    Well that explains quite a few things then.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,201

    Default

    Especially seeing as how crazy people drive in general! IMO you nee more protection these days here - not less! It's hard enough to be safe driving city and burbs in a CAR. I'd wear a helmet here even if I did not in other states.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    I will personally hand out Darwin awards to people who ride without helmets.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Saw at least a dozen helmet-less riders cruising Woodward this weekend...

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    868

    Default

    My insurance was a lot less expensive when I lived in states without helmet laws. I moved back to Michigan and was shocked at my insurance premiums.

    I've ridden motorcycles since I was 4 years old and I'm now in my 30s. I am a racer and with racing comes crashing. I will never ride without a helmet. With that, I would prefer it if the government did not force people to wear helmets or seatbelts.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    My insurance was a lot less expensive when I lived in states without helmet laws. I moved back to Michigan and was shocked at my insurance premiums.
    Michiganders are forever reinventing the wheel. Other states have been through this - what happened? Wisconsin would be a similar rust belt state to look at, and they dropped helmets in the 70s. Pennsylvania went lid-free in the last few years.

    When I rode, what worried me was being skinned in a lowsider. Or being crushed by a car. Or impaled on a fire hydrant. Again, maybe not statistically the real threats, but motorcycling is so inherently dangerous (unlikley to be legal today if just invented, as others have said) that it really should be left to the organ donor, or banned outright.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Nightmare waiting to happen ! there is a reason we had a helmet law in the first place . I have a friend that is a Doctor and he says when summer increases the motorcycle injuries are horrific with helmets, Just think about without helmets?
    Nothing good can come of this , we shouldn't be forced to pay for the Life long health care that WILL come with this new law.
    These are the same a holes that want to stop a woman's right to choose, but they want the right to ride a motorcycle without a helmet?
    What's the first thing that's going to happen when you fall off a motorcycle without a helmet? you head hits the ground!
    This is a NO BRAINER (pun intended)

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    What's the first thing that's going to happen when you fall off a motorcycle without a helmet? you head hits the ground!
    Not true. The most likely scenario is that the rider will put his or her arms/hands out to break the fall and will incur a lot of road rash on those arms and hands unless he/she is wearing a protective jacket and gloves.

    A common misconception is that the rider always leads with his or her head when being thrown off the bike in a crash. In reality, arms, hands, and legs are usually the first body parts to make road contact.

    Helmets are not all that they're cracked up (excuse the pun) to be. They are heavy (they have been known to cause riders' necks to twist and snap in crashes), and they limit riders' awareness of dangers around them (curtailed peripheral vision, muffled hearing due to ear coverings).

    Moreover, methods of testing helmets' effectiveness on impact have been dubious for decades. Helmets touted as very safe have been shown to have failed. The merit of helmets has always been a bit exaggerated (not that they haven't saved many lives... no arguing that... however, better IMO to be dead with a squished head than to be kept alive on life support due to being "saved" by a helmet). All that said, I will probably continue to wear one much of the time.

    I've always believed that wearing protective gear (long-sleeved jacket, jeans, boots, and gloves) is much more of a must while riding. (What's with the crotch-rocket jockeys and their girlfriends in tank tops, shorts, and sandals? !!!!)

    Experience (started riding 30 years ago) helps too, because over time you learn defensive riding techniques. Motorcycle safety courses are highly recommended for new riders (I've had three of them and may go back again).

    Keeping headlights and running lights on in daylight for visibility does wonders for helping the oblivious, careless auto drivers see you. It goes almost without saying that not riding like an idiot (see previous references to crotch-rocket maniacs) is also a plus.

    The conscientious, careful cyclist is more aware and often ends up becoming a better car driver too.
    Last edited by Fury13; April-16-12 at 01:24 PM.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Not true. The most likely scenario is that the rider will put his or her arms/hands out to break the fall and will incur a lot of road rash on those arms and hands unless he/she is wearing a protective jacket and gloves.

    A common misconception is that the rider always leads with his or her head when being thrown off the bike in a crash. In reality, arms, hands, and legs are usually the first body parts to make road contact.

    Helmets are not all that they're cracked up (excuse the pun) to be. They are heavy (they have been known to cause riders' necks to twist and snap in crashes), and they limit riders' awareness of dangers around them (curtailed peripheral vision, muffled hearing due to ear coverings).

    Moreover, methods of testing helmets' effectiveness on impact have been dubious for decades. Helmets touted as very safe have been shown to have failed. The merit of helmets has always been a bit exaggerated (not that they haven't saved many lives... no arguing that... however, better IMO to be dead with a squished head than to be kept alive on life support due to being "saved" by a helmet). All that said, I will probably continue to wear one much of the time.

    I've always believed that wearing protective gear (long-sleeved jacket, jeans, boots, and gloves) is much more of a must while riding. (What's with the crotch-rocket jockeys and their girlfriends in tank tops, shorts, and sandals? !!!!)

    Experience (started riding 30 years ago) helps too, because over time you learn defensive riding techniques. Motorcycle safety courses are highly recommended for new riders (I've had three of them and may go back again).

    Keeping headlights and running lights on in daylight for visibility does wonders for helping the oblivious, careless auto drivers see you. It goes almost without saying that not riding like an idiot (see previous references to crotch-rocket maniacs) is also a plus.

    The conscientious, careful cyclist is more aware and often ends up becoming a better car driver too.
    I've had two concussions (explains a lot!) while wearing a helmet. I'd be lucky to be alive had I not been wearing the helmet. Most of the misinformation comes from the "experienced" riders themselves, as far as I can tell.

    Though I'm a charter life member, I wish the AMA would take up a real issue instead of a non-issue like the "freedom" to look like an idiot.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    459

    Default

    OK - for starters, I've been riding a motorcycle since I was 18 and am now almost 68. I also spent over 40 years in the insurance business. I still ride 5 - 10,000 miles a year all around the country. 1 crash in 1966 when a driver ran a red light and broadsided me. I left a lot of skin on 8 Mile Rd.

    I, along with a substantial percentage of motorcyclists, am a firm believer in ATTGATT (All The Gear All The Time). That means full face helmet, abrasion-resistant jacket and pants ( not jeans), gloves and boots.

    Is riding a bike dangerous? Sure it is! Then why the hell do I do it? Because I love it. Non- riders will never understand that. (Dogs who ride in cars with their heads out the window do, though.)

    All that said, I could support this law if unhelmeted riders were required to carry $1,000,000 in medical coverage and have no recourse to the Catastrophic Claims Fund. Your rights end when they infringe on the rights of others.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    583

    Default

    I don't believe that this will raise car insurance at all, since they are two different insurances, and if someone wants to ride without one, they are idiots, but it's their right. You are all mad about this because Snyder is a Republican Motorcyclists have been calling for this for years.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Riding without a helmet is stupid, but if you want to kill yourself you should be able to do so. Also, I doubt this will increase insurance rates too much, if at all. I live in Toledo, and pay $90/year for motorcycle insurance, and less that $800/year to insure two cars. This would be much lower if I didn't live in the city, redlining exists south of the state line as well.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    812

    Default

    Good job.

    It might not have killed him.

    Sure as shit didn't save him either.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Good job.

    It might not have killed him.

    Sure as shit didn't save him either.
    I doubt the doctors are going to say a helmet would have saved his life even if they thought it would have. That's probably the last thing the family needed to hear at that time.

    Four teenagers now have to deal with losing a parent. Even if the helmet wouldn't have saved him it doesn't make him any less of an idiot for that decision.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    OK - for starters, I've been riding a motorcycle since I was 18 and am now almost 68. I also spent over 40 years in the insurance business. I still ride 5 - 10,000 miles a year all around the country. 1 crash in 1966 when a driver ran a red light and broadsided me. I left a lot of skin on 8 Mile Rd.

    I, along with a substantial percentage of motorcyclists, am a firm believer in ATTGATT (All The Gear All The Time). That means full face helmet, abrasion-resistant jacket and pants ( not jeans), gloves and boots.

    Is riding a bike dangerous? Sure it is! Then why the hell do I do it? Because I love it. Non- riders will never understand that. (Dogs who ride in cars with their heads out the window do, though.)

    All that said, I could support this law if unhelmeted riders were required to carry $1,000,000 in medical coverage and have no recourse to the Catastrophic Claims Fund. Your rights end when they infringe on the rights of others.
    This is such a simple and obvious thing to do.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,893

    Default

    Is this the first death since the law changed?

    The driver, who wasn't wearing a helmet, struck his forehead against the pavement and slid about 45 feet, state police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

    His passenger, a woman from Georgia, was wearing a helmet, which prevented head injuries, state police said. She was taken to Beaumont Hospital with bruises and abrasions.
    From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz1yuZMbesT

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Just a couple days ago, their was a couple enjoying their motorbike riding on westbound I-696 where the came up the exit ramp to Southfield Rd. in Lathrup Village where they crashed their motorcycle. The Male driver who didn't wear a helmet died from a blood force brain trauma. The female passenger who wore her helmet survived with injuries. This helmet option law is STUPID! Now more people will be killed from motor bike accidents and Insurance companies will have to pay the price. Thanks a lot Gov. Snyder, the Nerd. You have just made a deal with death!

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    385

    Default

    There is one up side to this issue....More organ donors.

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Is this the first death since the law changed?

    Not at all:

    http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...yclists_w.html

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,004

    Default

    Good people we all knew this was going to happen. Trust me its going to keep happening To ride something as powerful as a motorcycle without the proper protection is like playing russian roulette with your life. Eventually the chamber you click will be the one with the bullet in it.

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Just a couple days ago, their was a couple enjoying their motorbike riding on westbound I-696 where the came up the exit ramp to Southfield Rd. in Lathrup Village where they crashed their motorcycle. The Male driver who didn't wear a helmet died from a blood force brain trauma. The female passenger who wore her helmet survived with injuries. This helmet option law is STUPID! Now more people will be killed from motor bike accidents and Insurance companies will have to pay the price. Thanks a lot Gov. Snyder, the Nerd. You have just made a deal with death!
    As well as everyone's rates skyrocketing. Michigan already has one of the highest car insurance rates in the country. I'm praying Snyder is a one term governor. First he taxes senior citizens pensions and now this. He's trying to run Michigan like Gateway Computers and how did that work out?
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-27-12 at 02:10 AM.

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    Brother, can you spare a tax break?

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    511

    Default

    WXYZ) - Michigan is seeing an increase in the number of bikers dying in motorcycle accidents.
    Michigan State Police released statistics showing an 18% increase in motorcycle fatalities from 2011 to 2012. In 2011 there were 109 deaths investigated, and in 2012 there were 129.
    The increase comes after a change in law. In April 2012, Michigan got rid of its mandatory helmet law for bikers.
    Supporters of the law change said that preventing accidents is key to saving lives, not wearing helmets.
    It is not clear yet whether the increase in deaths is due to the change in law. Information on the injuries that caused these deaths and helmet use has not yet been released.
    Michigan State Police however have said that if you don’t wear a helmet you are about 40% more likely to die from a head injury in an accident.

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    WXYZ) - Michigan is seeing an increase in the number of bikers dying in motorcycle accidents.
    Michigan State Police released statistics showing an 18% increase in motorcycle fatalities from 2011 to 2012. In 2011 there were 109 deaths investigated, and in 2012 there were 129.
    The increase comes after a change in law. In April 2012, Michigan got rid of its mandatory helmet law for bikers.
    Supporters of the law change said that preventing accidents is key to saving lives, not wearing helmets.
    It is not clear yet whether the increase in deaths is due to the change in law. Information on the injuries that caused these deaths and helmet use has not yet been released.
    Michigan State Police however have said that if you don’t wear a helmet you are about 40% more likely to die from a head injury in an accident.
    This has happened in every state that has repealed the helmet law.
    If they choose to ride without a cap, so be it. Just make sure you carry loads of extra insurance, you may need it. I refuse to pay for your stupidity.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    127

    Default

    What a stupid law.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •