Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Titanic Exhibit and Survivor Buried in Detroit

I decided since the Titanic exhibit is finally in town to visit the grave of a Titanic survivor buried in Detroit. You can read about it here:

http://www.motorgay.net/2012/03/detr...s-titanic.html

awesome...thanks for sharing

There was Frank Goldsmith too-he lived in Cotktown & would cry whenever somebody hit a home run, because he said it was the same sound the passengers made when the ship sank: http://www.titanic1.org/articles/tit...ndpresent4.asp

Titanic Survivor Michael "Ty" Joseph is buried in Resurrection Cemetery, Clinton Township.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Titanic Survivor Michael "Ty" Joseph is buried in Resurrection Cemetery, Clinton Township.
    Damn, that's some grave stone!

Both men have entries on the Findagrave site.

You mean the Titanic exhibit is buried with the survivor?? Doesn't make sense....

Kidding

Somewhat off topic is a link I found in the same blog posted in the first message above. It's a collage of photos which were taken in East Germany just after the fall of the Berlin Wall. Those buildings pictures made some amazing transformations and "Motorgay" asks himself if this is not possible for Detroit. There are some interesting parallels there.

Here's the link.

I think this building really takes the cake! This is what the building looked like in 1990. Nothing was done to it after the bombardments of WWII. The upper portion was gone.

And now look at what they've done! I'm sure some library pictures were used to reconstruct this building but the transformation is staggering!!!

Unbelievable!
    Last edited by Whitehouse; April-01-12 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    You mean the Titanic exhibit is buried with the survivor?? Doesn't make sense....
    Maybe it's a time capsule buried a hundred years too late?

Sort of on the subject of Woodmere, I don't know if scrappers did this, this crypt is missing one of it's heavy doors. The door has a green color, maybe copper? Also, in the second photo, vandalism? Although, I did see some of these crypts that have large marble slabs, some of them, the slabs are "bowed" I don't know what would cause a solid marble slab to bow.

Name:  Woodmere Cemetery 018.jpg
Views: 2498
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  Woodmere Cemetery 024.jpg
Views: 2373
Size:  45.1 KB

Looks a little creepy with the slabs moved like that. Almost like grave-robbers were trying to get in there

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitgayhistoryguy View Post
    Sort of on the subject of Woodmere, I don't know if scrappers did this, this crypt is missing one of it's heavy doors. The door has a green color, maybe copper? Also, in the second photo, vandalism? Although, I did see some of these crypts that have large marble slabs, some of them, the slabs are "bowed" I don't know what would cause a solid marble slab to bow.

Name:  Woodmere Cemetery 018.jpg
Views: 2498
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  Woodmere Cemetery 024.jpg
Views: 2373
Size:  45.1 KB

i took pics of those mausoleums...couldn't believe someone could be so disrespectful. and the one with the missing marble really creeped me out. quite a few of the tombs at that cemetery were in similar shape [[missing doors, broken windows, etc.).

I went to the Titanic exhibit yesterday. There is a nice write-up of David Vartanian on the wall in the room that shows the names of the passengers [[and whether they survived or not).

Quote Originally Posted by dawn26 View Post
    i took pics of those mausoleums...couldn't believe someone could be so disrespectful. and the one with the missing marble really creeped me out. quite a few of the tombs at that cemetery were in similar shape [[missing doors, broken windows, etc.).
    I think it is a combination of scrapping and vandalism. I think we need some much harsher laws against it [[scrapping). It makes me so mad.

A considerable number of Titanic surivors ended up living in the Detroit area. The second-to-last living American female survivor was Winifred Quick Van Tongerloo who lived in Detroit many years and passed away in Lansing in 2002 age 98, at which point only one American survivor remained, a woman named Lilian Asplund in Massachusetts .

Also, I believe Ty Joseph may have been the last American male survivor to pass away. Encyclopedia titanica web site is down currently, I tried to search the site for info on Mr. Joseph.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-05-21/news/mn-2124_1_joseph-titanic-michael
    Last edited by kryptonite; April-11-12 at 01:21 PM.

I've been planning to go to this exhibit. I went to the 2004 exhibit at the Detroit Science Center and was very impressed with how it was presented. I've been wondering if this is essentially the same exhibit with a few more or less artifacts. Has anyone been to both?

I'm assuming it's going to be particularly crowded this weekend since Sunday is the centenary anniversary of the sinking.

Quote Originally Posted by KarmicCurse View Post
    I've been planning to go to this exhibit. I went to the 2004 exhibit at the Detroit Science Center and was very impressed with how it was presented. I've been wondering if this is essentially the same exhibit with a few more or less artifacts. Has anyone been to both?
    Since 1997, I've seen this exhibit in Memphis, Chicago, Detroit, and Long Beach, but have not yet seen this new exhibit. My understanding is that there about 250 artifacts that have never been displayed previously in Michigan.

This article has a list of the 60-ish Michigan-bound Titanic passengers and their survivor/casualty status following the sinking.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...|img|FRONTPAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    I just noticed -- and maybe the pic isn't big enough -- but it sure looks like the ship on that tombstone is the Olympic, not the Titanic.

Olympic was the older sister ship her gave her name to that class of ocean liner.

You can tell the difference between the ships because the forward end of Titanic's promenade deck was enclosed. Olympic's was not. More original images exist of Olympic from that time because it was the highly touted first ship of that class and, obviously, it didn't sink.

Images of Olympic are very commonly confused with Titanic. I was a Titanic buff as a kid, before Bob Ballard discovered the wreck in 1985, and I still remember a lot of nerdy stuff like that.