Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Titanic at same latitude as Detroit when it hit iceberg...

Titantic was just below 42 degrees latitude when it struck an iceberg 100 years ago. I thought it would have been much more north. Downtown Detroit is, what, just above 42 degrees latitude?

I was surprised by that also. I fly across the North Atlantic a couple dozen times per year and I've never seen ice below 45° N, any time of year.

http://ice-glaces.ec.gc.ca/prods/NAI...0006390501.gif

http://ice-glaces.ec.gc.ca/prods/WIS...0006390068.gif

I always thought it was off Newfoundland. It really does seem to be a freak of nature that it was that far south

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I was surprised by that also. I fly across the North Atlantic a couple dozen times per year and I've never seen ice below 45° N, any time of year.
    From a New York Times report dated May 5, 1912:
    An unprecedentedly warm Winter in the entire arctic is believed to be the cause of the vast number of icebergs adrift in the North Atlantic Ocean during the present season and for the low latitudes which many of them have reached. Navigators and scientists of the Hydrographic Office and the Revenue Cutter Service in Washington have theories tending to prove that an unusually heavy snowfall in Greenland, where all icebergs are formed, in the Winter of 1910-11 was followed by an unusually hot Summer, and by a very mild Winter in 1911-12, these conditions resulting in the creation of an enormously large crop of icebergs from the West Greenland glaciers, and of floe, or field ice. Unusual northerly and northwesterly winds have blown these bergs far to the southward.

Maybe the Nain Rouge had something to do with it?

I know this'll make at least MikeM's blood warmer...but y'all are feeding into the grand Conspiracy Theory over this disaster.

There is some report that the Captain was given Last Rites before the ship left the dock. That it was 'switched' in drydock with a sister ship which had been damaged by a collision with one of the Queen's vessels.

That it was sunk to take out all of the people of means who were opposed to the creation of the Federal Reserve Bank. One of the top moneyfolk of the world cancelled his trip at the last minute...forget which one. Probably a Rothschild.

I'm serious about this...never really gave any of it credence, until this discussion. Darnitall.

Cheers!
    John

Not to mention the hole in the side, when they finally became able to make a video survey down in its watery grave. It is pretty clear it shows an internal explosion...

Gannon
    You have a natural ability to make a smile come over ones face..I dig it
    Cheers

Thanks, yus' doin' my yob, meng.

People have this incorrect assumption that I willingly accept every postulate unto theory which crosses my perception...but I don't. Not even close!

But when the data supports 'em, I cannot avoid adding it up...no matter how uncomfortable or worse it makes me feel. Some of the wackiest ones I have to shelve and walk away from...because they can make my noggin ache.

This is one of those...

Sincerely,
    John

John... you do make folks smile.....

But I think there was a 2nd iceberg involved... it may have been hidden behind the grassy knole...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    That it was sunk to take out all of the people of means who were opposed to the creation of the Federal Reserve Bank. One of the top moneyfolk of the world cancelled his trip at the last minute...forget which one. Probably a Rothschild.
    There were several big money types that cancelled or missed the ship.

http://www.historybyzim.com/2011/07/...rms-titanic-2/

Wow, just one more uncanny link between the Titanic and Detroit. And here I've been calling Detroit the Titanic for years.

Titanic hit the iceberg at +41.46 [[North) .. -50.14 [[West).. At least that is what they reported upon hitting it. It sank some 13.5 miles southeast of that point.

If you draw a line on the same latitude, due west, to +41.46, -83.28.9, you are on I-75, just south of Summit St [[US-24alt), about 2.4 miles north of the Ohio Border. Titanic was found 13.5 miles southeast of her impact location, which is close to accurate due to strong currents.. so most people probably went into the water, in the equivalent of Northern Ohio.

The two are very different, and the great lakes heat faster than oceans, but it's my guess that you wouldn't survive very long in Lake Erie in Mid April either.