Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    They likely are not still at that address and may well have moved away. On Google I found a Peter Huis in Holland, MI for instance, and then of course the mother lived in Clearwater, FL at the end of her life, so maybe Peter went down there as he got older too. It is slogging work to track family movement. The census can help but only so far. Google did not yield any Peter Huis in the Detroit metro area, but that does not mean he is not in Detroit.

Women are really difficult since they change their name when they marry. I have not looked for the daughter, Janet or Jeanette.

I also found a Janet Huis in Madison WI in 1947, and a Peter Huis in Milwaukee. Not that they are your relatives, but just to show how difficult it can be. One thought, since both mother and daughter were named Jeanette, and both father and son were named Peter, it could be those were important family names. If so, it might be worthwhile to contact a current Peter or Jeanette to see if they might be descendants. So far, we have no idea whether Peter Jr had children, and what he might have named them if he did.
    Just checking; in the Netherlands if one is moving to another place you have to register at the town/city authorities who [[a family or just one person within a family) is moving from and also where this person is moving to. At the town/city this person moved to you have to register again with the proper address. We call this a personal file/house file and/or family file. So you can look up data for a certain person/house or even history of a family[[on request at the town authorities) Is this done in the USA aswell?

No, it is not done in the US. I am sure there are ways, such as, if you know the original address, for a time you can check at the Post office for forwarding information. They used to keep that longer but now it is only six months. It won't do much good historically.

I did a little poking around on ancestry.com and found the April 8 1944 enlistment of Peter J. Huis Jr. [[born 1923), as well as the 1930 and 1940 censuses.

Also found a Peter J. Huis [[wife Lilla L.) living at 750 S. Clearwater-Largo Rd in Clearwater Florida - in 1958 and 1960 City Directories. I found nothing later.

Find A Grave turned up 13 Huis graves, 8 of which are in Portage MI, but no Peter or Lilla.

CorporationWiki has a Peter A. Huis as Manager of Green Pipes & Insulation Trading LLC in Florida:
    GREEN PIPES & INSULATION TRADING LLC
    150 ALHAMBRA CIRCLE
    SUITE 1150
    CORAL GABLES, FL 33134
    http://www.greenpipes-insulation.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    I did a little poking around on ancestry.com and found the April 8 1944 enlistment of Peter J. Huis Jr. [[born 1923), as well as the 1930 and 1940 censuses.

Also found a Peter J. Huis [[wife Lilla L.) living at 750 S. Clearwater-Largo Rd in Clearwater Florida - in 1958 and 1960 City Directories. I found nothing later.

Find A Grave turned up 13 Huis graves, 8 of which are in Portage MI, but no Peter or Lilla.

CorporationWiki has a Peter A. Huis as Manager of Green Pipes & Insulation Trading LLC in Florida:
    150 ALHAMBRA CIRCLE
    SUITE 1150
    CORAL GABLES, FL 33134
    Peter House or Peter Huis is/was married
    to Jeannette or Janet House [[born van den Berg)
    I guess Lilla is perhaps his sister?

No. I think you may be confusing Peter Huis the father and Peter Huis the son.

Peter J. Huis the father, I'll call him Senior, was born in Holland October 3 1890. He showed up in Detroit City Directories in 1918 and 1919 and in US censuses in 1930 and 1940. His wife and daughter were both named Janet or Jeannette [[poor census taker or language problems between the two). Wife was born in Holland about 1886, daughter was born in the US about 1918. His son was also Peter J. Huis, I'll call him Junior, born April 9 1923.

Senior, wife [[name given as Jeanette) and Junior are also all shown as arriving in NY from Southampton July 17 1936 on the Europa. Perhaps they went back to Holland for a visit and were returning before Hitler's onslaught. They gave their address as 9717 Yellowstone in Detroit.

Senior filled out a WW1 draft registration July 5 1917 [[living at 238 Vancourt in Detroit, working as a Machinist for Ford). Junior enlisted in the Army on April 8 1944 [[residence shown as Wayne county, occupation as tool and die maker, and Junior stated he was married).

As I see it, that leaves two possibilities for the Huis I found in Clearwater Florida in 1958 and 1960, because Lilla was definitely indicated as wife. Given the rarity of the name, I'm assuming a relationship to the ones you seek. First, Senior's wife Jeannette died some time after 1940 and prior to 1958, and he remarried to Lilla. Second, Junior had moved to Florida and that listing is he and his wife Lilla.

I think the first possibility is most likely, because I found a Lilla Huis who was born in Michigan Nov 23 1889 and died in Clearwater in January 1982. Those dates would fit as the wife of a remarried Senior.

I was unable to find any other Peter Huis or any additional information on the ones discussed here.

Whether the Peter A. Huis in Coral Gables Florida is related to the ones you seek I'll leave up to you to discover.

Applause ^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    To call the USA from the Netherlands, dial 00 + 1 + City Area Code + Number.

It is not clear which of the two Florida addresses and phone numbers for Mr. House is the most recent.

For this address, dial 00 1 904 724 8316

For the other address, dial 00 1 904 725 1097
    I called again twice today and I got a result from the 2nd number.

There is a Peter house living there and his father was also a Peter House. However his grandfather was a Gordon House. So no luck. But anyway
    thanks for the info!!

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post

150 ALHAMBRA CIRCLE
    SUITE 1150
    CORAL GABLES, FL 33134
    Did you find a telephone number for the Clearwater-largo road address?

I found no phone numbers. You could also try all the people finder sites.

Try whitepages.com

This is amazing....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2