Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Is the Book Tower next for residential conversion?

A few months ago I toured the under construction Broderick Tower. While on the tour, the property manager mentioned that once the Broderick is finished Beale would begin work on another downtown gem: the Book Tower. She stated that earlier in the week [[sometime in September) Beale signed preliminary paper work to turn the Book in to 300+ apartments, and that the work would be done [[start to finish) in around 5 years. With that being said; was she just spouting some rumor or is there any truth to her statements? I usually subscribe to the idea where there is smoke, there is fire….but this is Detroit we’re talking about.

Does anyone have insight to add?

first I've heard of this. Rather interesting. I'd like to see business in there instead of apartments, but hey, as long as it's occupied, it's good, right? Kind of surprised it would take 5 years to rehab the place. Considering it's not in bad shape [[especially when compared to Broderick), seems like fixing it up wouldn't take more than a couple years.