Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Precisely! They're not going to exclude themselves from the silver plates, or other privileges associated with power and wealth.
    Quote Originally Posted by justanotherboy View Post
    What's wrong with liberal elitists eating off silver plates?

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    You gotta admit, the guy is squeaky clean so his detractors have to either make stuff up [[he's a Muslim who wasn't born here, or whatever) or try to trump up non-existent claims.
    Well, he killed a couple American citizens, and claims he doesn't need to provide any evidence that they were guilty of anything. The New York Times is suing over the matter.

http://lewrockwell.com/roberts/roberts328.html

Too bad folks don't get nearly as worked up about the fact that there are 50 million Americans with no health care. With all that's going on, whining about pizza parties. Really?

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeabilly View Post
    ...... the fact that there are 50 million Americans with no health care......
    Do you have a source for that "fact"?

It is a widely-accepted fact tht there are about 50 million Americans without health insurance, but that does not equate to "no health care". About 57% [[28 million) of them are "involuntarily uninsured", yet they still have access to health care. It's estimated that the involuntarily uninsured receive about 40 percent of the amount of health resources received by those with health insurance. [source]

Solving that inequity by increasing the health resources received by those 28 million is what the government should be addressing, instead of producing 2,700 pages of legislation to restructure the health care insurance industry.

Every American should get the same level of health care that Mikeg receives. Fair enough for you?

i dont care that obama is a guest at a 1% fundraiser. its bad that any elected government person does fundraising while working for the american people.i do care that obama is furthering the war on drugs, the war in afghanistan, guantanimo is still open, drones bombing innocent people in other countries, breaking due process wrt killing americans for secret reasons and not prosecuting torturers and war criminals.anyone going to protest his human rights violations when he comes into town?

Drats Compn! It IS so annoying when dems behave as repubs and the great wall of designated 'policies' and 'politics' comes tumbling down! I need my world perfectly aligned where one party does only good and the other only bad!

I'm just thankful he has a use for Detroit now... he was scarce during the first campaign. Course there was the Kwame factor which would have kept anyone away ---- !
    Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    i dont care that obama is a guest at a 1% fundraiser. its bad that any elected government person does fundraising while working for the american people.i do care that obama is furthering the war on drugs, the war in afghanistan, guantanimo is still open, drones bombing innocent people in other countries, breaking due process wrt killing americans for secret reasons and not prosecuting torturers and war criminals.anyone going to protest his human rights violations when he comes into town?
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-11-12 at 10:28 AM.

Any DY members eating off silver plates today with Obama? Do we have any 1%ers on this forum?

I find it ironic that the the union members protesting the 1% at the $65 a plate dinner last night for Gov. Walker. How many will be showing up at Ilitch's house for the Obama $40000 a plate dinner? I guess a progressive is exempt from the 1% test.
    Last edited by noggin; April-18-12 at 09:45 AM. Reason: grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Are you still having trouble coming to terms that there is a black guy in the White House?

I'm still having trouble with everyone who says there is a black guy in the White House. He's mixed race, half black half white. You could just as easily say there is a white guy in the White House.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I'm still having trouble with everyone who says there is a black guy in the White House. He's mixed race, half black half white. You could just as easily say there is a white guy in the White House.
    I always laugh when people say that he is mixed race. I'm not sure about the percentage, but in my opinion 90%+ of the Blacks in America are mixed, with mostly European origins due to 4 centuries of mixing. So we might as well say that there is no Black people in America at all, everyone is mixed, therefore everyone is White! Many Blacks still have very European features, obtained from generations prior, in which they are unable to identify or trace.

Also in America, since when did a person having visible Black features exclude them from being classified as simply BLACK? In a post racial America that would be ideal, but in the current version of America, if you look Black, you are Black. I know Black people that look far more European than our President, but guess what, when people see them, without any knowlegde of their ancestry, they see a Black person.

So if we go by your reasoning, the only true Blacks in America are the African, Haitians, and Jamaicans that immigrated here by their own will, and have not been mixed with any other race since their origins in Africa. Good luck finding many of those pure bloods, that descended from the American Slaves.
    Last edited by De'troiter; April-18-12 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    If there was a white guy in the White House, nobody would be calling him a "food stamp president" or a "Kenyan anticolonialist," or drawing oh-so-hilarious cartoons of African witch doctors and watermelons on the White House lawn. That's the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    I find it ironic that the the union members protesting the 1% at the $65 a plate dinner last night for Gov. Walker. How many will be showing up at Ilitch's house for the Obama $40000 a plate dinner? I guess a progressive is exempt from the 1% test.
    The problem with many conservatives is that the word "systemic" has no meaning to them whatsoever. They analyze everything on an individual basis. Liberals are "protesting the 1%?" That must mean they hate every individual rich person, and therefore, if any of them happen to be rich themselves, they must hate themselves! It can't possibly mean that they have a problem with how public policy in this country is geared toward serving the interests of the 1% at any cost, that wouldn't make sense! Who thinks about policy issues in those terms? No, it must just be that they hate all rich people individually.

I don't agree with all of the presidents policies and politics but I have to agree here.
    Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    If there was a white guy in the White House, nobody would be calling him a "food stamp president" or a "Kenyan anticolonialist," or drawing oh-so-hilarious cartoons of African witch doctors and watermelons on the White House lawn. That's the difference.

Umm, no. You're only useful if you are well, 'use'ful. Whatever the party is...
    Quote Originally Posted by justanotherboy View Post
    Any DY members eating off silver plates today with Obama? Do we have any 1%ers on this forum?

The problem with many conservatives is that ......
    It's always the conservatives who are the problem, isn't it?

The "progressives" revel in playing identity politics and class warfare so they can be seen as the champion of the aggrieved groups and expand their political base. As a result, they have to portray conservatives as being the problem because of the way they cling to that hoary notion prominently displayed on the Great Seal of the United States that proclaims "E pluribus unum" - we are a nation that is "Out of many, one".

After a year of listening to the progressive left pillory "the top 1%" and also hearing both the President and his Vice President offer their support for the OWS and the 99%, it stands to reason that the spectacle of rich attendees at a Bingham Farms fundraiser paying up to $40,000 to have dinner on silver plates with President Obama might appear to be hypocritical and at odds with his previous comments. But for simply pointing out that one should watch what President Obama does, not what he says, that gets you labeled as a problematic conservative or worst yet, a racist who is still having trouble coming to terms with the fact that there is a black man in the White House.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    It's always the conservatives who are the problem, isn't it?
    I didn't say conservatives were the problem, I said that the specific problem with understanding and analyzing certain kinds of political issues that I discussed in my post is one that's common to many conservatives. In fact, here's an excellent example:
    The "progressives" revel in playing identity politics and class warfare so they can be seen as the champion of the aggrieved groups and expand their political base.
    If you think the 1% stuff is about "identity politics and class warfare," you're seriously misunderstanding what's going on there. It's not about "identifying" with one group or the other, it's about promoting policies that will work to the benefit of the whole country instead of concentrating ever more wealth at the top and allowing Wall Street to crash the economy without repercussions every few years in perpetuity. If you disagree with those objectives, or think those issues are best addressed by other means, then fair enough, but your analysis of their motivations is just wrong.
    Last edited by antongast; April-18-12 at 02:01 PM.

I didn't say conservatives were the problem, I said that the specific problem with understanding and analyzing certain kinds of political issues that I discussed in my post is one that's common to many conservatives......
    To which I would respond that your comment is nothing but a distinction without a difference. Ah, but naturellement, you will respond that being blind to the nuances and complexities involved with certain kinds of political issues is a common problem with conservatives and that progressives are the only ones with the intellectual curiosity and ability to see things in shades of gray, blah, blah, blah.......

If you think the 1% stuff is about "identity politics and class warfare," you're seriously misunderstanding what's going on there. It's not about "identifying" with one group or the other, it's about promoting policies that will work to the benefit of the whole country instead of concentrating ever more wealth at the top and allowing Wall Street to crash the economy without repercussions every few years in perpetuity. If you disagree with those objectives, or think those issues are best addressed by other means, then fair enough, but your analysis of their motivations is just wrong.
    You're the one who is doing the serious misunderstanding. I wasn't questioning the motivations or hypocrisy of the OWS mobs but rather those of the President. You think President Obama really gives a shit about "what's going on there" when his actions clearly indicate otherwise.

To which I would respond that your comment is nothing but a distinction without a difference. Ah, but naturellement, you will respond that being blind to the nuances and complexities involved with certain kinds of political issues is a common problem with conservatives and that progressives are the only ones with the intellectual curiosity and ability to see things in shades of gray, blah, blah, blah.......

You're the one who is doing the serious misunderstanding. I wasn't questioning the motivations or hypocrisy of the OWS mobs but rather those of the President. You think President Obama really gives a shit about "what's going on there" when his actions clearly indicate otherwise.

Name:  obama_eats_dog_meme.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  47.1 KB

Let's get this back on topic instead of venturing off into Romney's travels. President Obama came to dinner here last night and fortunately for Fido, Bacco Ristorante did the catering.

From the WSJ:

• "So, Mr. President, where shall we go to eat?" "I know a great Spot."
    • Obama's favorite fast-food joint? Checkers
    • I wouldn't vote for that guy for dogcatcher.

You know this "Obama bites dog" counter-meme has just about run its course and is ready to flame out once the "Hitler finds out......" parody arrives:

Attachment 13102

Thanks for posting this Mikeg. I was unaware what a rag the Wall Street Journal had turned into.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Thanks for posting this Mikeg. I was unaware what a rag the Wall Street Journal had turned into.
    Right you are downtownguy... that wasn't even a fluff piece... sounded more like a pathetic "grasping at straws"... and the Buffett story about him having Prostate cancer and Obama wanting him to pay more in taxes? This comment was very juvenile... and almost insulting for anyone who's ever lost a loved one to cancer...

This thread deserves to go to Non-Detroit Issues... since besides those silver plates... there's very little on this thread related to Detroit... just political posturing and lame analogies...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    This thread deserves to go to Non-Detroit Issues... since besides those silver plates... there's very little on this thread related to Detroit... just political posturing and lame analogies...
    A more accurate description of why it ought to be moved would acknowledge the unsupported accusation of racism that was dropped into this thread like a turd in the punchbowl.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast