Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

St. Aubin Park became the nucleus of the not yet finished Tricentennial State Park, which was since renamed Milliken State Park. The Riverfront Conservancy was working on getting as much waterfront land for the necklace of waterfront access.

St. Aubin Park was little more than a large marina for pleasure craft... something that was little used by most Detroiters anyway. There was virtually no outcry that I can even recall.

The park is still quite a ways from being completed.,, and unlike other State Parks... you don't need a park pass to access the waterfront.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    I don't remember any uproar or controversy whatsoever. I don't think anyone even noticed.

I had a chance to watch a replay of the hearing and public comment was just bizarre and sad. One woman claiming that "people who look like us won't be able to use the island". Another during her comments called Cockerel 'Shrek'. There will be another public comment period on Monday at 2 pm, people who support this and are available should go. As I'm sure the crazies will turn out in force.
    Yeah I watched it live and "bizarre" is a great way to describe it. Im going on Monday to voice, or at least show, my support.

Having recently relocated to Detroit from Cleveland, Ohio, I find it interesting to compare the situation with Belle Isle with the one facing the park's counterpart in C'land, Edgewater Park. Both are waterfront city parks of venerable age, but currently in need of a face lift. Edgewater once belonged to the city, but in the nineties ownership was transferred to the state. Now, as a state park, it has become run down, and there is talk to transferring management to the [[county-run) Metropark system. Ironic, isn't it? Of course, in Ohio, neither the state parks nor the community metropark systems charge admission, so all operating funds are provided from tax levies.

For my part, I agree with those who believe an admission-charging state-run park would be the best future for Belle Isle. And for those who want to avoid the admission charge, well, ride your bike there!

Last public hearing is occurring right now. So much pride and misinformation from opponents. Rudeness and catcalling. No solutions proposed, rather, so many only have delusional suggestions that the People can fix Belle Isle.

Amazingly, several have condemned the Cobo Center transfer to the regional authority as if that has been a failure. So many of the comments are clearly motivated by a racist desire not to see white folks making decisions about Belle Isle after it is transferred to the State.

The problem with afternoon hearings is that many of those with an intelligent opinion to voice are at work.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The problem with afternoon hearings is that many of those with an intelligent opinion to voice are at work.
    I went. But I work right across the street. It was uh...intimidating.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Now the Free Press is saying that they would need 6 votes to override Watson and Kenyatta's stupidity while the News is saying they might just need a majority. We know Brown, Jenkins, Tate, and Spivey support the deal. Pugh and Cockrel will hopefully fall into the favoring category, but if we only need 5 votes to override the committee that would be wonderful. Does anyone know for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by milesdriven View Post
    As an Ohio resident, it will cost me $8/day, or $29/year for a parks passport. That's enough to make me think twice before visiting the island.
    So let me get this straight. You'd drive from Ohio to go to Belle Isle, and spend the gas money to get there, but you won't spend the $8 a day or $29 a year to enter the park. Seriously, think about how stupid that sounds.

Also, you'd go to a park that is free and run down, but you won't spend a few bucks to go to one that is probably going to be very well kept up and will have more things to do. Seriously, again, think about how stupid that sounds.

Just watched the council meeting on TV tonight,, Speechless is a understatement.. There is so much racial input into the issues its really unbelievable at times. , Some residents voiced hostility at "outsiders" coming in, yet they are the same ones complaining they dont have equal access across 8 mile..I guess that means Detroiters should be treated equally anywhere they go yet people living in the burbs dont have the same right. I concluded just scratching my head. I really dont think many of the people have a clue that the Isle cannot continue operating under the Detroit city budget without it becoming a complete slum..I must admit I have never seen anything like it .

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Just watched the council meeting on TV tonight,, Speechless is a understatement.. There is so much racial input into the issues its really unbelievable at times. , Some residents voiced hostility at "outsiders" coming in, yet they are the same ones complaining they dont have equal access across 8 mile..I guess that means Detroiters should be treated equally anywhere they go yet people living in the burbs dont have the same right. I concluded just scratching my head. I really dont think many of the people have a clue that the Isle cannot continue operating under the Detroit city budget without it becoming a complete slum..I must admit I have never seen anything like it .
    It was quite ugly. I will say there was a good turnout of supporters, but the opposition crowd was so disrespectful. They were heckling supporters, in one case a white women and Detroit resident speaking in favor of the lease was told to "go home". I'm surprised I didn't hear an "Uncle Tom" for black supporters of the lease.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Watching many of the commenters, one can almost be overcome with a combination of amazement and sadness. Are these kind of clueless folks really fellow citizens of mine?

It's not really any different than watching videos filmed at 2008 and 2012 Republican campaign events where "real Americans" eagerly tell the camera why our country will go to hell if somebody with a foreign sounding name like Obama gets elected.

It is very evident those people have no manners and have no clue how to behave, A major problem in this town. At least on television a large portion of people not in favor of the proposal, sounded very nasty, many uninformed and highly racist in their comments. Something they themselves would never tolerate if you turned the tables [[ nor should one, I wish for once someone would call them out on this at a meeting) The few who expressed themselves well, I found actually a pleasure to listen to. One always makes time for someone who speaks well and informed and you tend to try to understand the other opinion more. . Everybody has a right to their opinion, you get nowhere by abusing " the other side".
    It seems so ironic that this is the same group that screamed bloody murder , along with the ACLU, that Detroiters were being prejudiced against in Dearborn parks ,some 10-15 years ago. Pretty amazing
    Last edited by DetBill; January-29-13 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Watching many of the commenters, one can almost be overcome with a combination of amazement and sadness. Are these kind of clueless folks really fellow citizens of mine?

It's not really any different than watching videos filmed at 2008 and 2012 Republican campaign events where "real Americans" eagerly tell the camera why our country will go to hell if somebody with a foreign sounding name like Obama gets elected.
    It's not the fact that these type of commentors exist that's depressing. There are always going to be morons and the morons are usually the most strident with their ignorance and seem to have the free time to show up to these things and espouse their stupidity.

The depressing part is that this group seems to hold sway with the decision makers. At least 90% of the comments should have been dismissed out of hand by council...instead they took them as legitimate input and have delayed again on making a decision.
    Last edited by bailey; January-29-13 at 12:05 PM.

This is Detroit, bitch and bitch to leave things the way they are. Whats new.
    Maybe Detroit should be its own state or better yet, its own country

Clowncil strikes again....no vote on it today.....

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Clowncil strikes again....no vote on it today.....
    Now the question becomes; is the end of January a "real" deadline or not? I sort of hope it is. At some point the State should just stop trying.

They definitely should not stop trying. That's part of the reason that Detroit fell into a pit. People gave up and moved out. Stopping gives idiots like Watson exactly what she wants. In fact I'm sure she's hoping that they'll give up. That's why she's being such a pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    They definitely should not stop trying. That's part of the reason that Detroit fell into a pit. People gave up and moved out. Stopping gives idiots like Watson exactly what she wants. In fact I'm sure she's hoping that they'll give up. That's why she's being such a pain in the ass.
    Well, at some point it's just enabling the behavior. You can pour out all the alcohol in the house, but if the drunk can walk to the store to get more and doesn't seem to think it's a problem to do so, the efforts to help the drunk aren't going to do anything.

Per Watson

“The city of Detroit has not just been gifted this island, the city residents pay for it and it is owned by the city. It’s a great public space,” said Councilwoman JoAnn Watson. “It would be a travesty for this council, for this mayor, to dispose of this – it’s not just a local treasure – it’s a national treasure.”

Joann, if you consider Belle Isle a national treasure, then why does it look like it does today? Why hasn't it been treated as such by "your people"? I say this because you and those other racists at the meeting yesterday and today do not consider white folks part of any solution. Why blame white folks for coming in and trying to clean up this island? Why has this become a racial thing? Joann, it's all about control isn't it? Maybe if you paid your taxes in full, there would be some money in the coffers to clean up Belle Isle. You are a hypocrite, plain and simple; as is Puke and Kenyatta.

We have to outlast those morons. It may be costly but it will be worth it in the end. The dividends paid by a healthy and successfull major city will far outweigh the cost IMO.

The newest word heard over the transom, "Rick is pulling all offers."

the BI deal is over. Details to follow.

Could be the motto for the region. "Where parochialism prevents progress."

At some point in the future perhaps both parties will reconsider, but it sounds dead for the present.

Gotta keep playing hardball with the clowncil. That's the only way things will get done. EFM! EFM! EFM! EFM!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The newest word heard over the transom, "Rick is pulling all offers."

the BI deal is over. Details to follow.
    and here it is:

Gov. Rick Snyder’s office said today it will withdraw an offer for the state to lease Belle Isle and manage it as a state park after the Detroit City Council decided not to take a vote on the measure this afternoon.

Only council members James Tate, Saunteel Jenkins and Gary Brown voted to approve taking an up-or-down vote on the lease today, meaning that final approval or rejection of the lease likely wouldn’t have been taken for at least two more weeks. The proposal would have let the state Department of Natural Resources manage Belle Isle as a state park for 30 years, with two optional renewals, in exchange for the state taking on the $6 million in annual operations and maintenance costs, a savings for the cash-strapped city.

Caleb Buhs, a spokesman for Sndyer, said today the council’s decision means “we have to withdraw the offer, and there can’t be another time extension.”

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast