Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

As an Ohio resident, it will cost me $8/day, or $29/year for a parks passport. That's enough to make me think twice before visiting the island.

Quote Originally Posted by milesdriven View Post
    As an Ohio resident [[AKA freeloader), it will cost me $8/day, or $29/year for a parks passport. That's enough to make me think twice before visiting the island.
    Fixed that for you.

In all seriousness, that is a legitimite concern. Would you spend that to get into parks closer to Ohio such as Sterling or Lake Erie Metropark? What if along with the fee the cost of the attractions was sharply reduced? If it included a free visit to the aquarium or conservatory? What if someone arrives by boat and parks at a marina? How do we make sure they are not sneaking in?

A balance needs to be struck to make sure what the region has that attract people still attracts them.

I resisted for years the concept of paid admision to Belle Isle. I love that place and if that's what it takes, I say go for it. I've got my state sticker and if need be I'll load my car with neighbors and kids. Even pay for the extra "freight"

I want canoeing back, horse trails back, bike rentals back, the boat club back and in short clean and open bathrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I resisted for years the concept of paid admision to Belle Isle. I love that place and if that's what it takes, I say go for it. I've got my state sticker and if need be I'll load my car with neighbors and kids. Even pay for the extra "freight"

I want canoeing back, horse trails back, bike rentals back, the boat club back and in short clean and open bathrooms.
    I agree with this comment. I thought the city should have tolled the Belle Isle bridge a long time ago.

I think it should remain free for people who opt to enter on non-motorized modes of transportation, or those who enter by public transit should that service ever be restored to the island.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I think it should remain free for people who opt to enter on non-motorized modes of transportation, or those who enter by public transit should that service ever be restored to the island.

I assume the $10 annual permit is for vehicles only, so pedestrians and those taking the bus should be able to access the park free of charge [[Assuming the state takeover actually happens and a bus once again provides service to the island). I've been to a lot of state parks in Michigan and can not think of any that charge an entry fee for anything other than vehicles.

Admission and State park status sound like a good idea. If Detroit charged enough money and that money was well accounted for, the State need not be involved. $5 per individual, $7.50 per family with children per visit might work with stiff fines for litterers. Money could be plowed back into maintenance, improvements, and security. I don't think $5 would be too much compared with the cost of movies, restaurant meals, or a pack of cigarettes.

Another idea would be to give the State a fifty year lease so, assuming things turn around in Detroit, Belle Isle would revert to Detroit.

Meanwhile, if it were a State park, whose police force would be responsible for security; State Police, Park Police, or Detroit Police?

edited to add:
    A summer boat ride from one of the places the Bob-Lo boat used to dock downtown to Belle-Isle would be a fun option.
    Last edited by oladub; April-09-12 at 09:25 AM.

As an Ohio resident, it will cost me $8/day, or $29/year for a parks passport. That's enough to make me think twice before visiting the island.
    Well, for my money, ANYTHING in Michigan is worth five times of ANYTHING in Ohio. Except for the Ohio River valley, it's the most boring landscape outside of western Nebraska I've ever seen.

any news on this?

So let me get this straight. You'd drive from Ohio to go to Belle Isle, and spend the gas money to get there, but you won't spend the $8 a day or $29 a year to enter the park. Seriously, think about how stupid that sounds.

Also, you'd go to a park that is free and run down, but you won't spend a few bucks to go to one that is probably going to be very well kept up and will have more things to do. Seriously, again, think about how stupid that sounds.