Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Gov. Rick Snyder’s office said today it will withdraw an offer for the state to lease Belle Isle and manage it as a state park after the Detroit City Council decided not to take a vote on the measure this afternoon.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013012...-s-office-says

Now let's see how quickly Council decides on one of their many alternatives.

Maybe Council finds it more valuable to sell it to the Ayn Randians.

I am thoroughly discussed with JoAnn Watson and Mr. Kenyatta - The meeting yesterday was awful, I haven't tuned in today yet, but it's hard to imagine that any of these protesters have a working brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Maybe Council finds it more valuable to sell it to the Ayn Randians.
    Good Call.

Quote Originally Posted by rutlev View Post
    I am thoroughly discussed ....
    Does that mean you're all talked out and have said everything there is to be said??

Or did you mean 'disgusted' ?

Now the offer to clean up Belle Isle is gone...for how long, no one knows. Belle Isle will continue down on the spiral like the rest of Detroit has done and is still doing. The island got no help from clowncil, no help from Bing, even though these people think they are huge advocates for Detroit and its "jeww wells" and "national treasure". I hope that all those racist people who came to the clowncil put on their work gloves, bring some trash bags, paint cans, brushes and rakes and get the island spruced up like the State was going to do, otherwise, it will remain the same...a dirty unsafe place to go unless it's freezing outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Does that mean you're all talked out and have said everything there is to be said??

Or did you mean 'disgusted' ?
    Since Snyder pulled the offer, I would say the former.

I can't Believe they let these bullies win. So does this mean we have 40 more years of Belle Isle looking the way it does now?
    Also what great plans does the city council have to keeping the isle up ?
    Also now that the plan is off the table all the money they could have used for other parts of the city are gone , so JoAnn Watson and Mr. Kenyatta and the bullies that showed up what are your plans ?... you got what you wanted a dirty ,dangerous place ,that families don't want to visit ,I hope your happy ?
    I'm dying to hear anyone's plans now ?????, bueller, bueller, bueller , that's what I thought .
    NOW I believe there needs to be a EM
    Detroit and this region will NEVER move ahead with "leadership" like this .
    The people of Detroit will NEVER get the city they deserve with "leadership" like this , we will FOREVER be stuck in the 60's with this them vs US thinking .
    Other cities have to be looking at the Detroit "leadership" and say WTF?
    Regional leadership is the key ,did they learn ANYTHING from Cobo, DIA and the regional transit , not to mention the science center ? some people in this city will NEVER get it . They like things just the way there are .
    Last edited by Detroitdave; January-29-13 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Now the offer to clean up Belle Isle is gone...for how long, no one knows. Belle Isle will continue down on the spiral like the rest of Detroit has done and is still doing. The island got no help from clowncil, no help from Bing, even though these people think they are huge advocates for Detroit and its "jeww wells" and "national treasure". I hope that all those racist people who came to the clowncil put on their work gloves, bring some trash bags, paint cans, brushes and rakes and get the island spruced up like the State was going to do, otherwise, it will remain the same...a dirty unsafe place to go unless it's freezing outside.
    No offense, but being a regular on the island, I find it's condition just a bit short of your embellished description.

I am not from Detroit, but if i was running the joint the FIRST and MOST important thing to do is lower crime, that's where u need to invest $$$, if people don't feel safe nobody is going to come there

Get police out from the offices and desks and back on the street and back on the beat, visible to the public, that's what we did in Melbourne 30 years ago.

My $0.02 cents [incs.tax] worth

Belle Isd. will keep, leave it alone for now, not going anywhere

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    No offense, but being a regular on the island, I find it's condition just a bit short of your embellished description.
    Agreed. I'll still go to Belle Isle with nary a concern for my own safety.

That said....man. Belle Isle could have gone from "just another city park" to a world-class location.

I'm angry and frustrated, but not the least bit surprised. 2013 elections, come quickly.

The offer has been on the table since last April and the City "management" still hasn't given a Yes/No as of yesterday. The offer should have been withdrawn months ago. The Council has obviously strung it out because they wants the money [[not a lease) so they can spend it on something of their own choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE View Post
    I am not from Detroit, but if i was running the joint the FIRST and MOST important thing to do is lower crime, that's where u need to invest $$$, if people don't feel safe nobody is going to come there

Get police out from the offices and desks and back on the street and back on the beat, visible to the public, that's what we did in Melbourne 30 years ago.

My $0.02 cents [incs.tax] worth

Belle Isd. will keep, leave it alone for now, not going anywhere

Cheers
    Allowing the state to take over Belle Isle would have freed up between 6-8 million dollars of the city's money. That could have gone elsewhere, like police. The city just turned down a 1.2 million dollar proposal for new technology that would help officers do their menial tasks quicker and allow them to get back on the street faster. The city turned it down not because it wasn't a worthwhile program, but because they couldn't afford the 1.2 million. But god forbid we free up some money slated for cleaning up Belle Isle.

Shollin Guest

The money would not have gone elsewhere. The city needs to cut spending. This would've allowed them to cut 6 million without effecting services of other departments. It's not like they would have those funds to allocate elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    This would've allowed them to cut 6 million without effecting services of other departments.
    I'll take that too.

I'm totally in support of the State Parks taking over operations of the island, but in a way I'm glad that Snyder pulled the offer. The state ended up conceding a lot more than they should have [[Mainly the dramatically shortened lease terms) and that would have hindered their ability to make substantial improvements. In the not so distant future Detroit will be left with the option of either closing the park, or letting someone else take it over so it's going to happen either way.

...hopefully the clowncil will scamper into the woods of the crown jewel when the EM takes over plotting a new battle of bloody run to fend off the big bad Guv...

I don't blame the "clownsil" they are merely doing what the people of the fair city of Detroit elected them to do.

Untill the voters change, nothing will change.

Hmm, maybe one day she'll move out.. would not surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    They definitely should not stop trying. That's part of the reason that Detroit fell into a pit. People gave up and moved out. Stopping gives idiots like Watson exactly what she wants. In fact I'm sure she's hoping that they'll give up. That's why she's being such a pain in the ass.

d?
    Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    2013 elections, come quickly.
    And? Same as it ever was........

I thought the circus got voted out and the Clowncil was being reorganized. Or did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I thought the circus got voted out and the Clowncil was being reorganized. Or did I miss something?
    Without an election, how did that happen? Yes, it's being reorganized, but that doesn't mean the same people won't be reelected. Though, with the new redistricting, the chances are slimmer.

This is no surprise for all of the old-time Detroiter's who have been around for decades, whether you're black or white. There's a reason that Detroit's population has declined unlike any other American city. Most have been around for decades and have witnessed what was supposed to be the next Detroit renaissance over and over again. Only not to happen. Why do you think so many people post comments on these internationally written articles about Detroit? Ex-Detroiter's now living in New York, Paris, Germany, Chicago, Florida, California, Las Vegas, Arizona, Boston, Washington D.C., Atlanta, North Carolina and every place but Detroit. Most people have decided to enjoy life in cities that are progressive and where leadership is all about moving forward. You only live once and people want to make the most of this short journey.

There's nothing wrong with fighting for a city to comeback but when the city leaders want to keep things from improving , then what's the use? It's no secret that Detroit should be on the same level as Atlanta, Boston, Philly, Chicago, D.C. and New York. But there's a reason that we're not. It's the leadership and racial polarization. You tell me why a city with the size of Detroit's population doesn't have major world-class retail? Detroit is black-balled. And unfortunately, even though Dan Gilbert and a few other billionaires are investing in the city, most others are still not interested in seeing or investing in a Detroit comeback. Most importantly banks. Each time the city council does what they do... they're sending a very clear message to Venture Capitalist. Stay out! And the people with money hear that loud and clear.

Like I always say, I love Detroit and It's my favorite city, however, you gotta love it for what it is. It offers soul, architectural beauty, great creativity and a never die spirit. But most people choose to enjoy Detroit from a distance and descend on the city as often as possible, to get the "Detroit fix." And then they're back to their new home city where they can shop in world class stores, live in vibrant communities, live amongst the educated masses, walk in their nice parks and do all the things that progressive cities offer. Things that are hard to come by in the city of Detroit.

Detroit is what it is.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast