Detroit River Fishing

The Great Detroit Flood of 2014 resulted from the second largest downpour in Detroit history. It closed several expressways and poured into thousands of Metro Detroit basements. The 4.72 inches of rain was the highest daily recorded rainfall since July 31, 1925, when 4.74 inches of rain fell. What went wrong? Could it have been prevented?

READ MORE »

New? Join DetroitYES»

DISCUSSING ALL THINGS DETROIT-WINDSOR SINCE 1999

ENJOY DETROITYES?

AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »

Default Selling unused Nautical (Masculine) Dinner Service for 32 (or 2 sets of 16)...

It's called Victoria & Beale "Montana" service... (don't understand the "Montana" name... since it's more nautical in nature).

This Service has 182 pieces of these the coffee saucer, salad plate, soup plate, dinner plate (and accessory vegetable bowl and meat platter) have this design "Compass Rose" design... (click on Salad Plate)...
    http://www.replacements.com/webquote/VBEMON.htm

The coffee cup, creamer, and sugar bowl have a stunning almost Art Deco like design (click on Creamer)....
    http://www.replacements.com/webquote/VBEMON.htm

I have a 5 piece dinner service (dinner plate, salad plate, soup bowl, cup, saucer) for 32. Plus there are 5 Creamers and 3 Sugar Bowls, 4 large Vegetable Bowls, 1 Meat Platter (called a 12" Chop Plate)... and 13 extra salad plates + 4 extra soup bowls tossed in.

A "Full State Service" for 32 with accessories!! Perfect for someone in Indian Village or Boston/Edison or Palmer Woods... so you won't have to pull out the paper plates for a large gathering.

See here for an examples of the "Compass Rose" design thru the centuries...
    http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-ima...pass-rose.html

This china seems to be pretty rare, since there are only 3 listings for "Victoria & Beale Montana" on EBAY...

Less than $3 per item, in unused condition.... total $500 for all 182 pieces.

Would consider breaking it up into 2 sets of 16 for $250 each....
    Last edited by Gistok; April-07-12 at 02:38 PM.

Here's what a State Service for 32 looks like (all 182 pieces). Note: the dinner service looks much better in person... (as the previous post link pictures show)...

P.S. I got these about a dozen years ago at a china shop closing sale. They've been sitting in my basement cupboard ever since.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; April-07-12 at 02:40 PM.

A service for 8 is also a possibility (45 pieces)... for $120.

Well I sold 2 dinner services (place setting for 8) last week on Craig's list... so I'll sell the remaining 2 dinner services for 8 for $80 each ($10 per 5 piece place setting, or $2 per piece). As I said... these are unused.

Can't beat the price for a nautical service!

Argh..... I just found some more of this dinnerware in a basement closet... (that will teach me to visit store closeouts)....

Still have more of this.... selling it all for $1 each item (unusued!)... still have lots of high quality porcellain china pieces....

Here's 5 of the images... the Soup bowl looks like a dinner/salad bowl, and the Serving Piece Vegetable Bowl ($2) looks like a deep soup bowl...
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Gistok; August-01-12 at 07:25 PM.