Welcome to Detroit !
I'm sure if you've been on this site you are pretty familiar with Detroit .
Corktown and Midtown are great area's but know that it's nothing like Chicago.
Midtown is Great but it's just starting , there are a tons of great options for eating and cultural stuff, Whole Foods is coming soon, I think early 2013?
Detroit can be very cool , just check out the New york times Lifestyle section anytime LOL , they seem to have a love affair with Detroit :-) which is a good thing I guess LOL
It's always cool to have the "blessing" of the "epicenter" of style, taste and culture on your side :-).
It's like having the hottest girl in school take you out to prom :-)
But I digress , LOL just know that you do have to do a little digging to find the "cool" kids, but they are pretty easy to find. Coming form Chicago I'm sure you have your city savy. You will need it here , but in a different way.
AA is cool just a little far, it's a great college town , but you can find those anywhere and you've been to one you've been to them all ? no ?
Living in the city will make a difference for you and for the city, I'm not saying it's always good, but it will be something that will make an impression, It has for me living here 4 years from LA.
Some have the patience for it other not so much , I go back and forth ;-), but I'm an optimisms and I like an underdog . when the city is "popping" [[Opening Day) you see the potential , just building on that is a BITCH !
make it your own ! also quickly I'm not sure when you are moving , but you may want to check out the brodrick [[sp) tower. this may give you that Chicago feel you may be missing . It should be done this fall ?
all the best