Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Thanks for confirming gthomas. It does have that "urban-chic" feel, which it should, it's their downtown local so they should "show off" a little :-)
    I saw them interviewing folks the other day so they should be open very soon .

Yes, can't wait..GREAT addition to Lower Woodward. Keep feeling up the lower Woodward storefronts!!

I'll walk over and take some pics of the inside this weekend and post...

I noticed their address is 1040 Woodward. I wonder if they plan to open April 15?

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    I'll walk over and take some pics of the inside this weekend and post...
    Cool please do , I'm looking forward to seeing what they do .

I'll post some of the interior pics when I get home tonight...

Here is one from the outside - as of last night. They now have the outside seating area sectioned-off.

Name:  456254_3305820577114_1616011685_2762041_50096682_o.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  46.3 KB

Can the Hudson's Cafe survive with Olga's across the street?

I personally think that Hudson Cafe will be fine, they provide an excellent breakfast which it doesn't appear that Olga's has.

Wait--how is this even possible? I thought food trucks were going to be the death knell of all restaurants in Detroit.

Name:  3_26 152.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  30.5 KBName:  3_26 148.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  33.8 KBName:  3_26 149.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  34.8 KBName:  3_26 150.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  27.1 KBName:  3_26 151.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  27.9 KB

Sorry about the poor quality

OMG!!! I Love it! Great to see this addition..

Name:  3_26 152.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  30.5 KBName:  3_26 148.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  33.8 KBName:  3_26 149.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  34.8 KBName:  3_26 150.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  27.1 KBName:  3_26 151.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  27.9 KB

Sorry about the poor quality
    WOW thanks AGinthe313 ! I walked by and peaked inside too and was impressed. This is going to be a GREAT addition to downtown and it's a Michigan company ! I don't think Hudson has much to worry about , Olga'a will get a lot of the business from Quickens/ Compuware , I think there are plenty of workers in the area, now checkers ! they should be worried , they need to step their game up !
    If they were complaining about a food truck they must be going ape shit over this !, the writings on the wall for checkers !
    Last edited by Detroitdave; March-28-12 at 09:33 AM. Reason: edit

When are they going to be open?

April 15, they will be open! I'm friends with the head chef working there at that location.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    April 15, they will be open! I'm friends with the head chef working there at that location.

Olga's has a chef? Did he major in Hot Dogs?

LOL! I was thinking that. I mean I don't consider Olgas as high cuisine, it is sorta homogenized gyros - ala Mediterranean 'lite', but I did love that orange float drink and the sorta sweet pitas are my on my craving list sometimes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post

GUSHI Guest

ROFL, gyros

That's what they called themselves...I didn't make that up. lol

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Ha! I was joking in my earlier thread, but seeing that they're located at 1040 Woodward, Tax Day seems appropriate. I wonder if they planned it, or was it just coincidence? gthomas, ask the "chef". Maybe he's a CPA also.

Edit: Seeing that April 15 is a Sunday, I'm beginning to doubt the chef's word. And you say he's the "head" chef? Does that mean they have more than one?
    Last edited by downtownguy; April-01-12 at 07:30 PM.

Occurrence Guest

You people here are pretty fired up about this restaurant. Is this going to be listed in AAA's tourist attractions? I bet people fly in from all around the world just to eat and experience this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    You people here are pretty fired up about this restaurant. Is this going to be listed in AAA's tourist attractions? I bet people fly in from all around the world just to eat and experience this place.
    It’s not about Olga’s per se, or any other restaurant that moves in – think of the bigger picture - another piece of the puzzle. One of the great things about Detroit is that people actually do get fired-up when a business opens in the city. If Olga’s opened in NYC – nobody would care, but in Detroit it matters, and it matters for a reason!

Occurrence Guest

That's kind of depressing. It's a mediocre chain restaurant. I don't get my people are so fired up over this.

That's kind of depressing. It's a mediocre chain restaurant. I don't get my people are so fired up over this.
    It still beats a mediocre empty space.

People are excited to see people wanting in on the opportunity that is Detroit.

Today I took my daughter for a walk and we peeked in the window, I rather liked what I saw. I plan on trying it out shortly after it opens.

It still beats a mediocre empty space.
    Well said ! anyone with any knowledge of the history of Detroit and lower Woodward would see the importance of a mediocre chain restaurant taking a chance and opening in Downtown Detroit. BTW I consider Hard Rock Cafe a mediocre chain restaurant, and they are pretty much in EVERY American city, but in Detroit it matters , sad but true.
    Detroit has to over come a HUGE image problem , and any nation/or local chain that takes a chance on Detroit , right now we need . This also sends a signal to others questioning , "Wow downtown has an olga's? , Hey there's one in my area too" it send a sense of comfort to Folks from and burbs and tourist .
    It's not Macy's, Saks,Nordstroms, Bloomingdales or Neiman Marcus, hell it's not even Target , but like someone said earlier it's another piece of a VERY big puzzle , with A LOT of pieces missing . If any of the above mention stores open in my lifetime on Lower Woodward I'd do back flips up and down the middle of Woodward !

With Olga's we now have 5 restaurants in close proximity around CMART. It would be nice to have a second dining area besides Greektown with some foot traffic. I would like to see a good Chinese restaurant in the area. It would be able to draw from both the lunch and dinner clientele.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast