Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Florida 'stand your ground' law yields some shocking outcomes depending on how law is applied

Seven years since it was passed, Florida's "stand your ground" law is being invoked with unexpected frequency, in ways no one imagined, to free killers and violent attackers whose self-defense claims seem questionable at best.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...cle1233133.ece

Comprehensive Database of Florida's SYG

http://tampabay.com/stand-your-ground-law/

How about posting this part of the article as well.

"The Times analysis found no obvious bias in how black defendants have been treated:

• Whites who invoked the law were charged at the same rate as blacks.
    • Whites who went to trial were convicted at the same rate as blacks.
    • In mixed-race cases involving fatalities, the outcomes were similar. Four of the five blacks who killed a white went free; five of the six whites who killed a black went free.
    • Overall, black defendants went free 66 percent of the time in fatal cases compared to 61 percent for white defendants — a difference explained, in part, by the fact blacks were more likely to kill another black.
    "Let's be clear,'' said Alfreda Coward, a black Fort Lauderdale lawyer whose clients are mostly black men. "This law was not designed for the protection of young black males, but it's benefiting them in certain cases.'' "

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    How about posting this part of the article as well.

"The Times analysis found no obvious bias in how black defendants have been treated:

• Whites who invoked the law were charged at the same rate as blacks.
    • Whites who went to trial were convicted at the same rate as blacks.
    • In mixed-race cases involving fatalities, the outcomes were similar. Four of the five blacks who killed a white went free; five of the six whites who killed a black went free.
    • Overall, black defendants went free 66 percent of the time in fatal cases compared to 61 percent for white defendants — a difference explained, in part, by the fact blacks were more likely to kill another black.
    "Let's be clear,'' said Alfreda Coward, a black Fort Lauderdale lawyer whose clients are mostly black men. "This law was not designed for the protection of young black males, but it's benefiting them in certain cases.'' "

Aside from all your madness do these crime scene and police photos look like Zimmerman was in a fight for his life? Keep in mind these were taken the night of the incident. See any blood on him since he was on his back getting his bashed in causing him to shoot? And take a look at all that blood from his broken nose!

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/new...s1339701293857

There are some claims Treyvon was trying to break into houses [[ I heard this from a Florida Detective ). Even if so, Zimmerman should not have engaged him. He [[Zimmerman) wanted to be a hero, instead of doing what a Neighborhood watchman should have done - and that is to observe and report.

Well, Treyvon went down with a fight. Zimmerman put himself into the position he had to use deadly force to defend himself. That's the whole key. Treyvon probably was whipping Zimmerman's ass for running him down and confronting him. A lot of people who are chased down and confronted would probably fight or fight back. Especially if some Neighborhood Watch dork was trying to act all badass and confrontational toward you.

I guess we will find out all the details in the courtroom. No one knows for sure, we, the media, and everyone else are all speculating what happened. We could all talk about it until we are blue in the face and make this thread 50 pages long. Let the court do it's job. Then we can discuss FACTS.

I think both the Left and the Right made a mistake aligning themselves with this story.
    The Left jumped on this, [[Reverend Al and Jessie Jackson the race baiting hate mongers) screaming white on black crime from the get-go. Funny how it turned out Zimmerman is a Hispanic American. The NAACP has a LOT of Hispanic American members. If Zimmeran is deemed innocent by the court, the NAACP may have bit the hand that feeds them.
    I think the Right should not have jumped into this mess, and waited for the answers to be given in the courtroom. No one really knows Zimmeran's credibility. No one knows what happened that night except for Zimmerman and what few witnesses there are. This guy is not a champion of gun laws. This guy is not a beacon of Conservatism. He is a Neighborhood watchman that should have stayed in his car and let Police handle it.

It's supposed to be "Neighborhood Watch"
    He shoulda watched.
    Last edited by Papasito; June-19-12 at 09:30 AM.

Another day. Another Zimmerman lie. Another arrest.

Maybe she can give birth to a kid in jail and go for the trifecta.

Has this guy issued even one statement of remorse?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Has this guy issued even one statement of remorse?
    wow, way to keep up with the facts....

George Zimmerman, the neighbourhood watch volunteer charged with the murder of Trayvon Martin, unexpectedly took the stand at a bail hearing on Friday and apologised to the teenager's family.
    "I wanted to say I am sorry for the loss of their son. I did not know how old he was – I thought he was a little bit younger than I am. And I did not know if he was armed or not," Zimmerman said.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post

Well, Treyvon went down with a fight. Zimmerman put himself into the position he had to use deadly force to defend himself. That's the whole key. Treyvon probably was whipping Zimmerman's ass for running him down and confronting him. A lot of people who are chased down and confronted would probably fight or fight back. Especially if some Neighborhood Watch dork was trying to act all badass and confrontational toward you.

really, kicking some ass is what you think appropriate for someone/anyone "tracking you down"... how about explaining yourself?? how about just leaving the area???

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    really, kicking some ass is what you think appropriate for someone/anyone "tracking you down"... how about explaining yourself?? how about just leaving the area???
    Explain yourself to WHO? > Other citizens don't have any right to demand anything from another citizen.

Leave the area? > Dude was on his way back to the home where his father was. Again, what gives another citizen the right to tell you where you should and should not be?

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Explain yourself to WHO? > Other citizens don't have any right to demand anything from another citizen.

Leave the area? > Dude was on his way back to the home where his father was. Again, what gives another citizen the right to tell you where you should and should not be?
    Trayvon had no right to stand his ground. It was his duty to flee and just take a bullet in the back. When you're questioned by someone of Zimmerman's rank you shut up and answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Trayvon had no right to stand his ground. It was his duty to flee and just take a bullet in the back. When you're questioned by someone of Zimmerman's rank you shut up and answer.

really, bullet in the back, where did you get that info?

and since when did people tresspassing, cutting through other peoples yards, suddenly have the right not to have their presesnce questioned by someone put in charge of watching the neighborhood....

so when I see some thug in my yard i should cower in my basement and hope he goes away???

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    and since when did people tresspassing, cutting through other peoples yards, suddenly have the right not to have their presesnce questioned by someone put in charge of watching the neighborhood....

so when I see some thug in my yard i should cower in my basement and hope he goes away???
    Goose, the subdivision where this occurred has community sidewalks in between and behind the buildings. Trayvon did not live there, but he was a guest of his father's girlfriend who lived in the complex, so he was not trespassing.

As for being questioned by another resident, there is no law preventing Mr. Zimmerman from asking Trayvon where he was going or what he was doing in the neighborhood, but of course Trayvon was not obligated to answer.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; June-20-12 at 10:52 PM.

Goose, the subdivision where this occurred has community sidewalks in between and behind the buildings. Trayvon did not live there, but he was a guest of his father's girlfriend who lived in the complex, so he was not trespassing.

As for being questioned by another resident, there is no law preventing Mr. Zimmerman from asking Trayvon where he was going or what he was doing in the neighborhood, but of course Trayvon was not obligated to answer.
    Trayvon was a thug and had no business in that neighborhood. Zimmerman simply questioned this young worthless hoodlum and instead of this hoodlum submitting to superior authority, he had the audacity to fight. For that alone he deserved to be shot. Thugs have no right to question authority!!

Four months after Trayvon Martin shooting, Sanford police chief fired

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/20/12325019-four-months-after-trayvon-martin-shooting-sanford-police-chief-fired?lite

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Four months after Trayvon Martin shooting, Sanford police chief fired

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...ief-fired?lite
    Fired??? He should have been given a medal for outstanding work. This country has really gone to pot. Now we make marters out of worthless lowlife thugs. DISGUSTING!!!

by someone put in charge of watching the neighborhood....
    Zimmerman was self appointed so that equals zero authority to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Trayvon was a thug and had no business in that neighborhood. Zimmerman simply questioned this young worthless hoodlum and instead of this hoodlum submitting to superior authority, he had the audacity to fight. For that alone he deserved to be shot. Thugs have no right to question authority!!
    Congratulations! You've been added to my ignore list..

Congratulations! You've been added to my ignore list..
    C-P is being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    C-P is being sarcastic.
    Yeah, I am well aware of that.

Since he can't participate in a discussion without mocking those with an opposing view, I really see no point in reading his posts.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; June-21-12 at 09:10 AM.

it's amazing in that video that Zimmerman is so smart to be able to string together such a puzzle of lies and fabrication that completly on the surface appears to make sense and seems possible and is similar to what witnesses have said and the phone calls, but knowing that he only shot him in the back because Trayvon is black makes me think that if Zimmerman is not evil incarnate, than there is no devil...........

Who said anything about 'shot in the back'? All I've seen is 'abdomen'.

But if you think about it objectively, it might add credence to Z's case. If someone is on top of you during an attack and you draw a weapon and fire, isn't it reasonable that your arm would be around and behind them to some degree?

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast