Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    George Zimmerman is the one that had the preconceived notions. The article that Johnny5 posted above, cements that.

George Zimmerman admitted that TM was running away. Listen to the tape.

TM was running AWAY from GZ but somehow a bullet from GZ's gun ended up in TM chest.

We all have the fight or flee instinct in us, if we feel menaced or threatened.

TM ran first, clearly that didn't work, because GZ didn't let up.

If there was physical contact on TM's part, I would see that as the natural progression of a human instinct.

TM had as much a right to defend himself as did Zimmerman...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    TM had as much a right to defend himself as did Zimmerman...

That is what is so puzzling about this case. I have read comments on several news sites, blogs, and mostly from people identifying themselves as White, they conclude that Trayvon should have just answered George Zimmerman's questions without apprehension. But this is a child regardless of his size and a human with the fight or flight instinct who was approach by a cocky stranger. Who in their right mind would not try to get away from that type of danger? Better yet, if that stranger seemed hell-bent on following you without answering your question [[Trayvon did ask him why is he following him) a normal human being would freak out. I know I would and I would definitely fight to save my life. Trayvon has that right. I think the biggest shock for me and a lot of Black Americans is the fact that many many many of us had no idea about SYG. All we saw was a child killed and no arrest and we just do not understand how this shoot-first-maybe-ask-questions-later mentality translated into becoming an actual law. It is as if White males received a memo that the rest of America did not receive and it has left us puzzled and we cannot make sense of this unjust law without it being played out for us in a court of law. That is why so many Americans and those in the international community are crying foul...because this law is foul and mostly favors White males. I just don't get how anyone cannot see the INJUSTICE in this case...forget race because this could be ANYBODY'S CHILD!

Quote Originally Posted by Peppermint Patty View Post
    That is what is so puzzling about this case. I have read comments on several news sites, blogs, and .....
    But apparently, you haven't read any of the facts.

The issue I was commenting on is the SYG law. It blindsided a lot of people who did not know such a lawless law actually existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Peppermint Patty View Post
    The issue I was commenting on is the SYG law. It blindsided a lot of people who did not know such a lawless law actually existed.
    Thats why its important to stay informed on what policies these right-wing groups like the NRA are pushing in your state and in Washington. They count on flying under the radar when they push these laws in the various states

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    ... They count on flying under the radar when they push these laws in the various states
    Which raises the question of why they feel so comfortable using deceptive tactics against their own potential voters in the first place.

Dishonest politicians don't need any more support than they already have.

Don't support them.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-17-12 at 10:49 PM.

One of the outworkings of the Travon Martin case [[however you feel about the guilt or innocence of Zimmerman) is the discussion of repealing the 'Stand Your Ground' laws which are in many states including Michigan:

'Stand Your Ground' Law Repeal Proposed

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ed-20120517-ms

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Thats why its important to stay informed on what policies these right-wing groups like the NRA are pushing in your state and in Washington. They count on flying under the radar when they push these laws in the various states

These laws did anything but "fly under the radar" when they were passed in Florida and in Michigan. I lived in Florida when this law was passed and had returned to Michigan by the time similar legislation was approved here. In both states the law received overwhelming support from the general public and passed through the legislature with support from both parties.

One incident does not make these types of laws a failure. They were written to protect law abiding citizens from the acts of criminals, and that's exactly what they do.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/01/st...-records-show/
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-18-12 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    These laws did anything but "fly under the radar" when they were passed in Florida and in Michigan. I lived in Florida when this law was passed and had returned to Michigan by the time similar legislation was approved here. In both states the law received overwhelming support from the general public and passed through the legislature with support from both parties.

One incident does not make these types of laws a failure. They were written to protect law abiding citizens from the acts of criminals, and that's exactly what they do.

Zimmerman was not a law-abiding citizen. He was a menace to society...also known as a thug. Plus, he was mentally unstable and had poor decision-making and socialization skills.

Thank you... I am curious about the larger agenda here... Ala the baby is going out with the bath water on this if we are not careful to a. not get allergic to these policies because of the Trayvon Martin case, b. find them distasteful soley due to their conservative origins or associations. Recall, Granholm signed in thees laws at one point. Now were are talking of repealing them?

Again I ask: Have Detroiter's benefited from this law over the last year as crime has continued to escalate such as home invasions, car jackings and the like? Do Detroiter's, many of whom are democrats, really care or endorse NRA or the Koch Brothers et al in their use of or access as an 'option', this law? Will Detroiter's and Michigan at large benefit by having this or the "Castle Law" repealed?

Last edited by Zacha341; May-18-12 at 12:58 PM.

The problem with this kind of law is bought out in a National District Attorney's symposium back in 2007, numerous concerns were voiced that the law could increase crime. This included criminals using the law as a defense for their crimes, more people carrying guns, and that people would not feel safe if they felt that anyone could use deadly force in a conflict. The report also noticed that the misinterpretation of clues could result in use of deadly force when there was, in fact, no danger. The report specifically notes that racial and ethnic minorities would be at greater risk because of negative stereotypes.

I spoke earlier of a situation in Florida were two people were arguing on a playground basketball court over a basketball game. The arguing got heated and both parties got in each others faces. One of the men felt threatened and threw a punch as a preemptive strike. The one punch killed the man. Because the guy claimed SYG he was not charged. Now if you understand basketball arguments you know they get loud and profane but rarely advances beyond that.

You shouldn't have a law thats left open to interpetation to the extent like SYG. Its too easy to have your sterotypes and fears of people come into play and affect your judgement. Because when that happens, it opens the door to unintended consequences
    Last edited by firstandten; May-18-12 at 10:58 PM.