Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The Dexter tornado was officially rated an EF-3.

That is the first EF-3 [[or stronger) tornado to hit Metro Detroit [[I'm defining that as Monroe, Lenawee, Washtenaw, Wayne, Livingston, Oakland, Macomb, and St. Clair Counties) since an F3 hit Novi during the early afternoon of September 14, 1990.

In comparison, the tornado many Detroiters recall that hit Hamtramck/Detroit/Highland Park on July 2, 1997 was "only" an F2.

Quite a storm yesterday.
    Last edited by MrNittany; March-16-12 at 05:25 PM.

I thought this was fairly common knowledge:

Tornado watch -- Conditions are conducive to the development of tornadoes in and close to the watch area.
    Tornado warning -- A tornado has been sighted by spotters or indicated on radar and is occurring or imminent in the warning area.

Seems pretty clear to me. A watch more than likely comes first and means to be on the "watch" for. A warning means get ready to duck for cover cause we're not whistling Dixie anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Yes there is and no they don't.

Tornadoes are rated on a scale of 0 to 5. Dozens, if not hundreds of EF0s and EF1s occur every year that do no damage.
    That is if you call poop in your pants no damage!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Okay, those are just reports, not confirmations. I thought maybe the NWS investigators had actually released a statement confirming the tornado damage.
    All 3 reported tornadoes have been confirmed by the NWS.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display...80731&source=0

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    There is no such thing as a MINOR tornado. They ALL produce some level of destruction. It was confirmed, you must not watch the news. People in Dexter even took pictures of it with their cell phones. Looked like a tornado to me.
    I never doubted there were tornadoes, but Chuck Gaidica is not a confirmation. The NWS confirmed the damage as tornado-caused at 3:48 PM today.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    All 3 reported tornadoes have been confirmed by the NWS.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display...80731&source=0
    Damage survey is usually a daytime task, hence the confirmations today.

Its not that tornados like trailer parks, its just that mobile homes are structurally weak.

If a weak tornado hit a stick built structure the damage would likely be minor, but would probably totally destroy a mobile home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2