While doing research recently I came across an interesting conflict with a famous local legend. I had always heard, and multiple sources mention, that the Majestic Building was so named as a result of the death of C.R. Mabley prior to the completion of the building, and the developers who assumed control of the project didn't want the added expense of removing the letter "M" which was used throughout. Another version has Mabley & Co. going out of business prior to the building's completion resulting in the same situation. However, it seems that none of this fits as Mabley died in 1885 a full decade before construction began and the company was in existence until 1978. Could it be that this bit of local lore is bunk? I suppose it is entirely possible that Joseph Carew [[who became sole owner after Mabley's death) commissioned the building as a Mabley & Co. store and then pulled out at some point leaving the M's behind. I have been unable to locate any iron clad resources that mention the story in either form and was wondering if any here might have any clarifying answers.