Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Mom Wants Justice after Fatal BP Gas Station Shooting

See video that details problems that occurred at the hospital between persons that brought Michael Haynes there after shooting. Tuesday Wayne County prosecutor Worthy charged Ibrahim Saleh, the 23-year-old clerk at the BP with felony firearm and first-degree murder. Protestors call for station to be closed. Read/ see more below:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ng-20120313-ms
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-14-12 at 06:50 AM.

I see that the victim just got out of prison on January 6 this year [[home invasion and controlled substances). Poor guy. Only two months of freedom. Little did he know it would be worse outside.

The guys day went from about to get laid to dead, quite a change.
    If he was shot in the shoulder then I assume he bled to death.
    The gas stations in Detroit seem to be a center point of crime. Nobody is safe anymore and something needs to be done. It seems so hopeless.

Yeah, this story has many levels, and layers. It's going to blow up bigger! For one, he was driven [[no need to wait for an ambulance) to the hospital only for there to be an altercation there. Depending on who you listen to he was not admitted to one door of the hospital, then when they got the correct entrance more drama.

Its a shame that so many lives are ruined by this event. That said, the story is a sad, yet thoroughly layered reflection of the challenges facing this city: racial divisions, gun violence, delinquent young men, etc.

I wonder if the victim threatened the clerk in some way, maybe threatening to come back and kill him. That would be very believable, considering the recent murder of a gas station clerk. If the threat was made, maybe the clerk was pretty frightened for his life. You know, just because a guy doesn't show his gun today, doesn't mean he won't come back tomorrow with his friends and an AK47. I think its certain death now if they threaten you.

This story really had me feeling sad that this had to end this way. The clerk should not have shot him. BUT the guy who got shot was probably being a thug and no doubt threatening the clerk. It's sad that these thugs feel like they can intimidate people and that this is THEIR Detroit. NO! It's OUR Detroit. The hard working citizens who obey the law! This guy may have been the last straw to the clerk and he felt pushed to the edge. Who knows? And it's also sad when the family feels the photo that they should provide the media is a photo of him throwing up gang signs.
    Sorry for the rant. I feel better now.

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    This story really had me feeling sad that this had to end this way. The clerk should not have shot him. BUT the guy who got shot was probably being a thug and no doubt threatening the clerk. It's sad that these thugs feel like they can intimidate people and that this is THEIR Detroit. NO! It's OUR Detroit. The hard working citizens who obey the law! This guy may have been the last straw to the clerk and he felt pushed to the edge. Who knows? And it's also sad when the family feels the photo that they should provide the media is a photo of him throwing up gang signs.
    Sorry for the rant. I feel better now.
    Could not have written it any better!!!!

I'm sorry but I dont feel for bad for the family nor do I feel bad for the man that was killed. Granted I don't know the story and none of us will probably ever know but I've seen this story too many times before. I am a 25 year old black man. Graduated from Cass and MSU. Grew up in Rosedale Park my entire life. When I was younger and didnt fear going to the gas station at night I would see patrons test the gas station clerks to the point where i wanted to shoot them. If you can ruin an antire store who knows what your capable of. Why not just call the police and have them settle things.

I hear you, in the past when I frequented gas stations in the city I observed some pretty creepy behavior and non sense. No way would I work at one. Yes, we may never know if the staffer felt threatened. It's a crazy scene out there... all of this animosity going back and forth.

And it is going on in the suburbs as well though to a lesser extent. A gas station I frequent in Dearborn near where I work now has bullet proof - I asked the attendant why and he just said the owner said "it was time" to do so...

Sharpton and or Jackson should be arriving here any day now, NOW that we have a story with the "appropriate" parties and traction to garner their arrival. Black on black crime is ok and continues without a visit, or the same level of outrage.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjones521 View Post
    I'm sorry but I dont feel for bad for the family nor do I feel bad for the man that was killed. Granted I don't know the story and none of us will probably ever know but I've seen this story too many times before. I am a 25 year old black man. Graduated from Cass and MSU. Grew up in Rosedale Park my entire life. When I was younger and didnt fear going to the gas station at night I would see patrons test the gas station clerks to the point where i wanted to shoot them. If you can ruin an antire store who knows what your capable of. Why not just call the police and have them settle things.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-14-12 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I wonder if the victim threatened the clerk in some way, maybe threatening to come back and kill him. That would be very believable, considering the recent murder of a gas station clerk. If the threat was made, maybe the clerk was pretty frightened for his life. You know, just because a guy doesn't show his gun today, doesn't mean he won't come back tomorrow with his friends and an AK47. I think its certain death now if they threaten you.
    Let me get this straight - You think that it is o.k. to shoot someone in the back because you think that they might come back later and confront you? Geez.......................

I did not say that I think its okay to do what he did. I was musing about what might have transpired to make the clerk do something like that.

You know, the people who shot up little Delric's house with an assault weapon came over many hours after the shower where the altercation over a chair supposedly happened [[as if that can be believed) to settle the score.
    The shooting that precipitated the killing of little Ayanna two summers ago happened after a murder on Mack Ave that was precipitated by a "disrespectful" look at someone hours before.

Perhaps something was said that caused the clerk to fear that a return with a weapon was in the forecast. Do you doubt that there was a weapon in the car? Seems likely given the history there.

The shooter is going to prison - I wonder what why he took such drastic action with such drastic consequences.
    Last edited by SWMAP; March-14-12 at 12:40 PM.

I don't know if the clerk felt threatend or not. Frankly I don't much care. It's my understanding the clerk was behind bulletproof glass and locked doors. The customer was leaving the store when the clerk felt the need to shoot him in the back with a shotgun[[?). I don't condone the customer knocking over items in the store.That was wrong&uncalled but to be shot in the back like a wild animal on the range for it by a cold blooded coward is unacceptable&deplorable!

Unless there's more to this story they both sound like a couple of hot heads.
    A hot head with a gun usually isn't going to end well.
    If he needed the gun when he left work at night or had to some out from behind the glass he should have kept the it somewhere that would have prevented him from using it in a moment of anger. There have been news reports that he kept it in his belt.

If stopped using gas stations in the city, but years ago when I did I witnessed all kinds of rude behavior, cursing, and even tossing items around. I could see a person working behind the counter losing his cool, but you need to put yourself in a situation where you limit the trouble you could get into.

Not sure what the real story is with the gas station altercation. But the likelihood that the deceased, Mr. Haynes, was a complete innocent victim is pretty low. He was already a two-strike felon at age 24 with separate penitentiary visits for home invasion and cocaine possession. At 6'4", 260 lbs and with a proven disinclination to lead a law abiding lifestyle, he was probably used to imposing his will on people and situations. Hence, the property destruction at the gas station in response to a disagreement over less than $5. He also clearly had his rehabilitation on the right track given the choirboys he was associating with who transported him to Sinai Grace, where it took them all of a couple of minutes to threaten security with violence and get involved in an altercation. I for one am tired of hospital security constantly going out of their way to assault ER visitors for no reason.

Mr. Haynes didn't deserve a fatal bullet. But his life was on an all too familiar trajectory of hustlin', violence and crime. What are the odds that a 24 yr old two-time felon with anger issues would not generate anymore crime victims of his own over the next decade. Not sure what the appropriate sentiment should be when such a player meets a violent end.

But Mr. Haynes' Mom loved him, just like most felon's Moms do, and now she's going to get paid. This thing is fucked up on lots of levels.

SteveJ Guest

Well I would say it was too bad but it really wasn't. It probably saved one of us from being one of his future victims. Unfortunately, this is Detroit. Where being ghetto and confrontational is the norm and only crazy people would run a gas station there.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Not sure what the real story is with the gas station altercation. But the likelihood that the deceased, Mr. Haynes, was a complete innocent victim is pretty low. He was already a two-strike felon at age 24 with separate penitentiary visits for home invasion and cocaine possession. At 6'4", 260 lbs and with a proven disinclination to lead a law abiding lifestyle, he was probably used to imposing his will on people and situations. Hence, the property destruction at the gas station in response to a disagreement over less than $5. He also clearly had his rehabilitation on the right track given the choirboys he was associating with who transported him to Sinai Grace, where it took them all of a couple of minutes to threaten security with violence and get involved in an altercation. I for one am tired of hospital security constantly going out of their way to assault ER visitors for no reason.

Mr. Haynes didn't deserve a fatal bullet. But his life was on an all too familiar trajectory of hustlin', violence and crime. What are the odds that a 24 yr old two-time felon with anger issues would not generate anymore crime victims of his own over the next decade. Not sure what the appropriate sentiment should be when such a player meets a violent end.

But Mr. Haynes' Mom loved him, just like most felon's Moms do, and now she's going to get paid. This thing is fucked up on lots of levels.
    Well said ! , I couldn't have said it better myself. It's sad that this happens way too often in the city of Detroit .Yet another young black man dead. too much ego, attitude and not enough discipline or patience. this is what you get .

So Mr. Haynes was a convicted home invader. This means he left victims in his wake. Did Mr. Haynes’ mother offer his victims any compensation? Did she go visit them and apologize and offer to pay for any damage that Mr. Haynes may have caused?

If she offered his victims no compensation, I find it hard for her to now think victims deserve compensation.

I don't buy it. This could not be a cold-blooded murder.

Something fishy going on.

So, let me get this straight......

When thugs run free, people clammer for more guns for homeowners and shopkeepers to waste the thugs on sight.

But when a shopkeeper wastes a thug, people want to fry the shopkeeper?

Maybe this wasn't such a bad idea.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/D...z/-/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Well I would say it was too bad but it really wasn't. It probably saved one of us from being one of his future victims. Unfortunately, this is Detroit. Where being ghetto and confrontational is the norm and only crazy people would run a gas station there.
    I think that most of the owners of those stations make a good living. After all, thye have a captive crowd - there's no other place to shop in a lot of neighborhoods. That being said, it's not a job for the squeemish.

Buy American Guest

Young people in Detroit have murdered others for looking at them the wrong way or "dissing" them, so this gas station clerks' actions don't surprise me in the least. He was probably scared out of his mind, couldn't speak English, and maybe this is the way things are settled in his country. Nothing surprises me coming out of Detroit anymore. The wild West has resurrected itself!

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    I don't know if the clerk felt threatend or not. Frankly I don't much care. It's my understanding the clerk was behind bulletproof glass and locked doors. The customer was leaving the store when the clerk felt the need to shoot him in the back with a shotgun[[?). I don't condone the customer knocking over items in the store.That was wrong&uncalled but to be shot in the back like a wild animal on the range for it by a cold blooded coward is unacceptable&deplorable!
    He's black silly.

We're never just victims, we're thugs and deserve it somehow.

I love that the protesters at the gas station want the station closed down forever.

That makes no sense. Just because someone committed a crime there doesn't mean that we should condemn the crime scene.

I also noticed that the protesters were playing the race card, with signs saying "BlACK MALE MURDERED COLDBLOODED HERE". What does race have to do with this? Black people are murdered all across Detroit every single week, usually at the hands of other black people. It just happens that this time the murderer is not black. The majority of the customers at a Detroit gas station are going to be black. It's not like this was out in the suburbs where a clerk got scared of seeing a black man for the first time and shot him.

I find it interesting that the victim just got out of prison for home invasion and drug charges. It doesn't change the fact that his murder was wrong, but it does speak to the man's character, and triggers doubt that perhaps he wasn't being an upstanding human being at the time of his murder.

It's a sad story. The murder just doesn't make sense. A man is dead and will never see his family, or friends ever again. The 23 year old clerk will be spending the prime of his life behind bars, if not his entire life. Two lives ended, all over fifty cents.

Best wishes to the families of everyone involved.
    Last edited by Scottathew; March-14-12 at 10:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast