Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DeLaSalle Shame

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Most Catholic school kids nationally don't pay full tuition. Many pay almost nothing.
    Please tell where these schools are!

I'm a 1993 DeLaSalle alum --- this is NOT THE FIRST TIME my school has made the front page of the sports section for idiocy.

I can't recall the details, but in either 1991 or 1992 we played Detroit DePorres in the Catholic League Final down at Calihan Hall. DePorres was better, they beat us by a bunch. BUT, during the game, the students [[I was in the student section for this game, but not chanting), started chanting "PROP 48" at DePorres star player. I can't recall said player's name, but [[1) he was black, and [[2) he was going to a high-profile college the next year to play b-ball. Proposition 48 is an NCAA regulation that says an incoming freshman must have a minimum GPA and SAT scores in order to be eligible for athletic competiton his first year.

Classless chant. Even MORE classless, considering the player wasn't even close to being a Proposition 48 case. DLS got trashed by Mick McCabe on the front page of the next day's Free Press Sports section, and deservedly so. I'd look up the details in the old papers at a library, but I'm not in Metro Detroit these days. But this DEFINITELY happened.

Anyway, this 2012 event, frankly, is 0% surprising to me. The chants fit the culture of entitlement and thinly veiled racism that I remember being pervasive among the student body in my days. Bummer from a Catholic school and what should be a leader in our community.

Wow, rich Catholic School kids are arrogant? I'm shocked. I'm going to go push this camel through this needle now. Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    Please tell where these schools are!
    Pretty much everywhere. Catholic schools were generally established to educate working class Catholic ethnics, often of immigrant stock.

Even today, they largely educate a similar demographic, though many of the schools have shifted to immigrants of Latino descent.

Catholic schools were always known for educating working class kids,...
    How about Brother Rice and the old Austin, which was filled with Grosse Pointe kids?

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    How about Brother Rice and the old Austin, which was filled with Grosse Pointe kids?
    Granted, parochial schools will, to some extent, mirror the demographics of their surroundings.

I don't know about Austin, but Brother Rice certainly doesn't serve a working class demographic.

That said, I bet you Brother Rice serves a lower-income demographic than the surrounding school districts [[Bloomfield & Birmingham). In this part of town, the parochial schools are less affluent than the public schools, though the nonsecretarian private schools are more affluent than the publics.

Granted, parochial schools will, to some extent, mirror the demographics of their surroundings.

I don't know about Austin, but Brother Rice certainly doesn't serve a working class demographic.

That said, I bet you Brother Rice serves a lower-income demographic than the surrounding school districts [[Bloomfield & Birmingham). In this part of town, the parochial schools are less affluent than the public schools, though the nonsecretarian private schools are more affluent than the publics.
    In looking at the high schools in the AOD, the average tuition is $9200. The most expensive being Academy of the Sacred Heart in Bloomfield Hills with it's cost of $21,270. The least expensive is Loyola in Detroit at $4,100 per year.
    Austin Academy is $6,750. Brother Rice is $10,350. I think the demographics of the school location do reflect the area. The more affluent schools are in the more affluent areas. Brother Rice, Marian, Mercy, Everest Collegiate, OLSM, NDP are all over $10K/yr. The less expensive schools are in more so working class areas. These are Loyola, Cabrini, Gabriel Richard, Divine Child, WOLL are all under $6500/yr. The rest all range from $6500-$10K/yr. For the most part, it seems that the tuition reflects the area with the exceptions, IMO, of DeLaSalle, NDP, & U-D Jesuit.

I didn't include Christo Rey because their tuition is based on a sliding scale of household income. A big part of their funding comes from corporate partnerships.

Also, even though Loyola only charges $4100/yr, their cost is actually $14,400/student. They also seem to get sponsorships for students to defray their costs. If you take Loyola out of the picture, the least expensive becomes Cabrini in Allen Park at $4790/yr.

Most Catholic school kids nationally don't pay full tuition. Many pay almost nothing.
    Please cite your reference for this because I along with all the parents at my child's school would love to know how we can do this too. Or is this just a supposition?

Who cares? I went to Catholic Central and when we got scored on we would chant "It's alright, it's okay, you will work for me some day!" And it would go back and forth from each side. Why is race always brought up? Everyone's so bloody sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Who cares? I went to Catholic Central and when we got scored on we would chant "It's alright, it's okay, you will work for me some day!" And it would go back and forth from each side. Why is race always brought up? Everyone's so bloody sensitive.

Context is everything. It's not oversensitivity to expect high school students to understand the context of this situation. Would it be okay for the fans of a suburban school playing Cesar Chavez Academy to chant "Trim my bushes" or "Pick my tomatoes" just because there's no consequence to making that chant during a game with the local rival down the street?

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    This was a class-based assault, not race-based.

Anyway, why would someone say, "Flip our burgers. And you are stupid." That's not even syntactically correct. I think they were misquoted.
    Why do people look for anything throw the race card out?

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Okay, DLS is a good private school but it isn't the Grosse Pointe Academy or Roeper School. It's a junky old working class Catholic school in a junky old working class suburb, to be frank. I think their air of superiority is a bit misplaced.
    Agreed, and not just in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Why do people look for anything throw the race card out?
    Why do so many white people look for any excuse to ignore obvious instances of racism?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    Why do so many white people look for any excuse to ignore obvious instances of racism?

I think Swingline got it right. The "you'll be working for us some day" is nothing new. The problem here is the context. Of course, these are kids and insensitivity is nothing new with kids.

But, from your apparent perspective, this is especially true of white kids, whose racist parents have raised them to be racists themselves, and to display their proud racism at sporting events with racist chants cloaked as classist, insensitive chants. Because that's how it is with white folks.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    But, from your apparent perspective, this is especially true of white kids, whose racist parents have raised them to be racists themselves, and to display their proud racism at sporting events with racist chants cloaked as classist, insensitive chants. Because that's how it is with white folks.
    How did you ever get all of that from what he said?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    How did you ever get all of that from what he said?
    Why are 90% of your posts to me questions?

and, I read other posts.

Why are 90% of your posts to me questions?
    Maybe you should ask that of yourself.

Whatever gave you that idea? I was talking about the posters in this thread, not the DLS kids.

And I don't think the kids [[or the posters) are necessarily "proud" of their racism, or even aware of it, and I have no idea how their parents raised them. What I do think is that being raised in a white man's world gives white men [[and I'm certainly not exempt here) a certain distorted perspective about how the world works that makes it difficult to view other people as people, along with a stubborn unwillingness to acknowledge that fact when it's pointed out.

Or, as Coleman Young [[who certainly made some perceptive observations in his time, whatever one thinks of his tenure as mayor) put it, "Racism is something like high blood pressure -- the person who has it doesn't know he has it until he drops over with a goddamned stroke. There are no symptoms of racism. The victim of racism is in a much better position to tell you whether or not you're a racist than you are."

just happen to see this:

"The latest incident of fan stupidity came Thursday in an East Region matchup between the University of Southern Mississippi and Kansas State. When K-State's Angel Rodriguez, who is from Puerto Rico, stepped to the free throw line in the first half, some members of the Southern Miss pep band began to chant, "Where's your green card?"
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_16...en-card-chant/

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Maybe you should ask that of yourself.
    Nah, my take on most rhetoric is that it is...nevermind.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    Whatever gave you that idea? I was talking about the posters in this thread, not the DLS kids.

And I don't think the kids [[or the posters) are necessarily "proud" of their racism, or even aware of it, and I have no idea how their parents raised them. What I do think is that being raised in a white man's world gives white men [[and I'm certainly not exempt here) a certain distorted perspective about how the world works that makes it difficult to view other people as people, along with a stubborn unwillingness to acknowledge that fact when it's pointed out.

Or, as Coleman Young [[who certainly made some perceptive observations in his time, whatever one thinks of his tenure as mayor) put it, "Racism is something like high blood pressure -- the person who has it doesn't know he has it until he drops over with a goddamned stroke. There are no symptoms of racism. The victim of racism is in a much better position to tell you whether or not you're a racist than you are."

I was referring to the "obvious instance of racism" thing. Classist and insensitive, yes. "Racism", no. You and I perhaps differ on our definitions. And yes, I'm white, but not sure that my perception of the world is any more or less distorted than the next person, of any color.

One interesting historic footnote is that Coleman Young was admitted to DeLaSalle. However, when he arrived in person to enroll he was turned away due to his race. The legend is that one of the Brothers [[I.e. The Christian Brothers) asked him if he was Hawaiian.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGall View Post
    One interesting historic footnote is that Coleman Young was admitted to DeLaSalle. However, when he arrived in person to enroll he was turned away due to his race. The legend is that one of the Brothers [[I.e. The Christian Brothers) asked him if he was Hawaiian.
    I can picture the response. "What, Im not Goddamed Hawaiian"

I was referring to the "obvious instance of racism" thing. Classist and insensitive, yes. "Racism", no. You and I perhaps differ on our definitions. And yes, I'm white, but not sure that my perception of the world is any more or less distorted than the next person, of any color.
    You and most other folks in this thread. Which brings me back to my original point.

And yes, I'm white, but not sure that my perception of the world is any more or less distorted than the next person, of any color.
    Well you don't have much of a perception of what racism is to a non-white person if you have never spent a single second of your life as a non-white person. Men have little perception of sexism from a woman's vantage point. Rich people, who have never been poor, have little perception of classism from a poor person's vantage point. And a white person, who has never lived as a person of color, has little perception of racism from a POC's vantage point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast