Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Any encounters with Detroit city council members?

Hey all,

Just curious....It seems to me that Detroit city council members for the most part don't really interact with their residents too much outside outside of meetings downtown. Anyone know of any outreach efforts in the neighborhoods?

I've encountered most of them. Pugh and Brown came to our neighborhood meeting one time.

Kenyatta shot me an e-mail one time about broken street light issues I was having.

Spivey lives a block away from me. Very nice guy. Pretty involved in the neighborhood, too.

I've met Tate before, he lives by my boss, he's also pretty nice.

Brenda Jones came to a block party in my old neighborhood before.

Met Jenkins while she was campaigning.

I know people like to hate on them, but they're all pretty nice people - people you'd like to have as neighbors or co-workers. Now, are they equipped to handle Detroit's problems? I don't think so. Keep in mind, though, that they're the ones proposing the much more sizable cuts than the mayor.

The only exception I'd take from that group is JoAnn Watson. She's a bully and a race-baiter. She shouts and makes a scene, but what has she ever done that's made the city better? She also paid $64 taxes on her house in Russell Woods for years and left it unreported...real integrity there.

I used to see Charles Pugh,before he was on council, from time to time at the Post Office on Milwalkee[[Blvd&John R).Was always very friendly. A friend I&ran into Joann Watson once in McDonald's drive thru. She was very personable&extremly friendly. She invited us to come to council sometime. I also had occasion to have to call Ms.Watson a few times when I needed help with a few issues.She always pointed me in the right direction&in one instance step in&saw my issue was taken care of. The thing I find about Ms.Watson is she's a tough cookie on the surface but seems to mean well. She can be abbrasive but if you get past that you'll find she's a very nice woman. In the past I've spoken with Ken Cockrel on the phone a few times. He's a very intelligent&thoughtful man.
    I've had more experience with the former council than I do with the current members. I find the former council were more accessible than current council is.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    I used to see Charles Pugh,before he was on council, from time to time at the Post Office on Milwalkee[[Blvd&John R).Was always very friendly. A friend I&ran into Joann Watson once in McDonald's drive thru. She was very personable&extremly friendly. She invited us to come to council sometime. I also had occasion to have to call Ms.Watson a few times when I needed help with a few issues.She always pointed me in the right direction&in one instance step in&saw my issue was taken care of. The thing I find about Ms.Watson is she's a tough cookie on the surface but seems to mean well. She can be abbrasive but if you get past that you'll find she's a very nice woman. In the past I've spoken with Ken Cockrel on the phone a few times. He's a very intelligent&thoughtful man.
    I've had more experience with the former council than I do with the current members. I find the former council were more accessible than current council is.
    I forgot about Kenny Cockrel. Really nice guy. Goes to all the neighborhood stuff. He's my favorite councilperson.

Ken Cockrell is the only current councilperson who has ever shown interest in SW Detroit and he is greatly liked for his work on our behalf.
    I have never seen any others at anything. I did see Joann Watson coming out of the Lafayette Coney Island with a carry-out recently.

I believe Ken Cockrell is one of the only council members who lives in the new District 5 [[although not in SW). The only Council member I ever saw at a community meeting was Gary Brown in Corktown but that was some time ago.

It's good to hear that some have actually had some good experiences with the council members.

Wait until election time. They all make a personal appearance at community meetings. Council Members Kenyatta, Tate, Jones and Spivey do send representatives to community meetings on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I forgot about Kenny Cockrel. Really nice guy. Goes to all the neighborhood stuff. He's my favorite councilperson.
    No matter how old he,or I,gets he'll always be 'Kenny' to me lol. I often heard Maryann Mahaffey call him that.
    I agree with you.He's a very nice, concerned, dedicated man!

Despite all their faults,imo,the previous council members[[Kenny,Sheila,Babs Collins,Kay,etc)seemed to be more accessible&out/about in the community than current council.

Spivey lives in East English Village and attends the community organization's monthly meeting on occasion.

Tonight, Brenda jones was at the Rosedale Park Improvement Association meeting, staying til the end.

James Tate lives in North Rosedale and regularly makes the community meetings, including all the neighborhood safety meetings.

Gary Brown, while not living in my area, is always accessible and regularly emails me info and his take on issues. In addition, he responds to concerns.

I don't care how big a city is, councilpersons should get "out" as much as possible. I probably learn more about the little town I'm a councilman in at the Post Office or the corner grocery than I do at council itself.