Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

It would be nice to have a "mini zoo" again, but realistically I don't see where the money to run it would come from. While it was open, I always thought it was very underrated and a gem on the cities biggest jewel.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Spot on? Why should the poor be denied access to Belle Isle because of their poverty? What's the point of public parks if they are only available to those who can afford to pay an entrance fee? Having fees for facilities like a water park or something similar is reasonable. But it's unreasonable to ask people to pay for simply coming to the island to enjoy the water or the natural areas on the island.

This,imo,hits the nail on the head.

I would welcome the change to a State Park. Whatever happens, those who use the Island need to learn how to pick up their litter and dispose of it [[or take it home for disposal) when they leave. Does this make me the cranky old man of the DYes neighborhood?
    Last edited by Bobl; July-12-12 at 04:28 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    ......Whatever happens, those who use the Island need to learn how to pick up their litter and dispose of it [[or take it home for disposal) when they leave. Does this make me the cranky old man of the DYes neighborhood?
    Another firm hit on the head of the nail!

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    From the Consent Agreement:

" Belle Isle – Create park funding for Belle Isle while ensuring continued City ownership by designating Belle Isle as a part of a cooperative relationship with Milliken State Park. This would include a long-term lease that would accrue the cost of the park’s maintenance and improvements out of the Park Endowment Fund. We will partner with Belle Isle Conservancy and the City to implement a master plan for the Island."
    This needs to start right away.

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    From the Consent Agreement:

" Belle Isle – Create park funding for Belle Isle while ensuring continued City ownership by designating Belle Isle as a part of a cooperative relationship with Milliken State Park. This would include a long-term lease that would accrue the cost of the park’s maintenance and improvements out of the Park Endowment Fund. We will partner with Belle Isle Conservancy and the City to implement a master plan for the Island."
    So, can anyone tell me what "designating Belle Isle as a part of a cooperative relationship with Milliken State Park" really means?
    I don't see it as "becomes a State Park"...

I would venture to say it means that it becomes just like a state park, but the city can retain ownership - and, more importantly for many city leaders, the pride of knowing that they kept Belle Isle under the city's ownership.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3