Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Two things,you have a city auditor general who is doing their job and a newspaper putting it out in public for all to see.

Transparency , the details are kinda irreverent. Hopefully others will get the message and in the future decide that it is probably not such a good idea to be screwing their fellow citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Don't know if I should laugh or cry since that statement is so true.
    I meant to put "SOME" in that statement. But lets not pretend that government is the only entity that wastes money. Corporations and private citizens do it too.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    I meant to put "SOME" in that statement. But lets not pretend that government is the only entity that wastes money. Corporations and private citizens do it too.
    That money is theirs to waste.....governments waste the taxpayers money.

Quote Originally Posted by winstonst View Post
    That money is theirs to waste.....governments waste the taxpayers money.
    Aren't governments made up of taxpayers? It is all the same.

What a horrible article. It's only purpose was to invoke a negative response from ignorant people. I can't believe how many people on the Detroit News website were ranting about $27,000 suits.

Pretty much.

Remember, this is the suburban Detroit news media, and their target audience is the Frank Rizzos from Sterling Heights, West Bloomfield and Livonia. The Frank Rizzos will eat that crap up [[given their vitriol hate for Detroit), which is the ultimate intention of the sensationalized article.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-07-12 at 05:31 PM.

Govt isn't supposed to create anything. It's purpose is to serve citizens and businesses.
    No, the government's purpose is to serve THE PEOPLE that elected it, NOT businesses [[or business entities). BUSINESSES can't register to vote for representatives, PEOPLE can.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-07-12 at 05:30 PM.

Businesses are still part of our country and they also depend on governments. We can't build our own cars, fly our own trains, etc.

Businesses are still part of our country and they also depend on governments. We can't build our own cars, fly our own trains, etc.
    Well I didn't say they weren't a part of our country.

However, it's the people that run them who depend on government, not the business itself. A government's purpose is to protect a PERSON'S right to own and operate a business for profit, but a government's purpose is to also protect PEOPLE'S rights and freedoms from people who own and operate these businesses.

For example, a business entity that can't vote for a politician shouldn't be able to donate millions of dollar to support a certain representative and make the democratic process unfair. Also, a business entity shouldn't be allowed to pollute our waters and the air we breathe and put OTHER PEOPLE'S health in danger to manufacture a good for profit.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Pretty much.

Remember, this is the suburban Detroit news media, and their target audience is the Frank Rizzos from Sterling Heights, West Bloomfield and Livonia. The Frank Rizzos will eat that crap up [[given their vitriol hate for Detroit), which is the ultimate intention of the sensationalized article.
    Suburban news media, Frank Rizzo, vitriol hate for Detroit, you lumped us all in one neat package haven't you? Personally, I don't hate Detroit, I hate what it has become [[big difference)...from the corruption, the crime, and the deterioration of a once great City.

Many of us have some wonderful memories of Detroit, where we were born, where we lived, how we lived among each other and with each other. The Detroit that everyone reads about today isn't the same place at all, and by your username "313" you probably live in Detroit and YOU should hate what it has become as well. I guess I should feel sorry for you for not being able to share those wonderful memories of the city and for not being able to be proud of where you live. Place the blame where it really is, not on suburbanites or the codespeak "Frank Rizzo's". I find it so hard to understand why some Detroiters want to blame everyone else except the people who are responsible for its' demise, from the mayor's office on down.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Suburban news media, Frank Rizzo, vitriol hate for Detroit, you lumped us all in one neat package haven't you? Personally, I don't hate Detroit, I hate what it has become [[big difference)...from the corruption, the crime, and the deterioration of a once great City.

Many of us have some wonderful memories of Detroit, where we were born, where we lived, how we lived among each other and with each other. The Detroit that everyone reads about today isn't the same place at all, and by your username "313" you probably live in Detroit and YOU should hate what it has become as well. I guess I should feel sorry for you for not being able to share those wonderful memories of the city and for not being able to be proud of where you live. Place the blame where it really is, not on suburbanites or the codespeak "Frank Rizzo's". I find it so hard to understand why some Detroiters want to blame everyone else except the people who are responsible for its' demise, from the mayor's office on down.
    Actually, I do hate what Detroit [[as in region) has become.

I'm sick of all the animosity between the city and the suburbs and how we've allowed it to hold back any real progress relative to other regions that are/were of our caliber. The sad part, as that article proves, it that it's still well and alive in 2012 after over 50 years. This is instead of the majority of people around here realizing that we're all one in the same, and we each need one another to thrive.

I mean, we're in the 2010s and we still can't even run a measely bus line from one place to another correctly without mudslinging or nitpicking. If that what some people define as "a good thing", then have at it.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at heading at greener patures myself. Of course, I will voice my frustration about the problems we face in the meantime, because Detroit is my home and I hate to see it in the position it's in [[and continue to be in the position it's in). The thing is Detroit's problem are structural, and it will take a lot more than me doing right [[thus those "what are you doing to change things" responses) to change those structural problems.

Aren't governments made up of taxpayers? It is all the same.
    No. Its very different. Your payments to GM are your decision. Your tax payments to your city are mandatory.

Therefore, governments have a higher responsibility to use tax money wisely.

Certainly a lack of controls which needs to be addressed including firing those responsible. That said, the article is lacking in detail. It appears [[from what I infer) that the $11 million was for multiple functions[[ Choice Pantry, the boutique in question and a call center operation that had capacity to help 60,000 families in need).

I'd like the news to show how much moey was lost on this bs operation and how much of the 11MM was spent on functions that did provide service.

We need to root out corruption and fire/charge all those responsible but it appears the news isn't being honest in the implication that $11MM was earmarked for clothing 400 job seekers [[since that would be an allocation of $27,500 per person.

Seems to me the news is going for sensationalism to make this waste of money seem even worse. The city can't manage their money and the news can't manage their facts.
    Surprise, surprise. The media sensationalizing an already pitiful story just to make it seem worse? Oh, go on! [[rolling my eyes)

I wonder who requested that audit? Was it the the department? No. Was it the Mayor? No. Was it the state? No. It was the City Council. What?! You mean the City Council actually does something besides twiddle their thumbs?! Get outta here!

Aww man. Don't be so pessimistic. The $148,000 was definitely stolen, but the rest may have been wasted by incompetence.

Not true. The AG report says the vendor returned it.

Many of us have some wonderful memories of Detroit, where we were born, where we lived, how we lived among each other and with each other. The Detroit that everyone reads about today isn't the same place at all,
    Buy American, you just inadvertantly made the point that I make regularly nowadays. I try to remind you and others who do more ”reading” about Detroit than ”experiencing” Detroit that if you only read about Detroit, you are very often getting sensationalized partial versions of the story. I bet when you lived here there were plenty of negative stories in the media. Government corruption, greed, fraud, etc. are not new phenomena. But your perception of Detroit was tempered with your own positive experiences. Stop believing just what you see in the papers and on the news, PLEASE! [[That last sentence wasn't just for you. It was for everyone who insists on judging Detroit EXCLUSIVELY based on sensationalized media trash -- not journalism.)
    Last edited by mam2009; March-08-12 at 10:57 PM.

The Detroit News repeats the claim that $11 million was spent for 2 people.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    Buy American, you just inadvertantly made the point that I make regularly nowadays. I try to remind you and others who do more ”reading” about Detroit than ”experiencing” Detroit that if you only read about Detroit, you are very often getting sensationalized partial versions of the story. I bet when you lived here there were plenty of negative stories in the media. Government corruption, greed, fraud, etc. are not new phenomena. But your perception of Detroit was tempered with your own positive experiences. Stop believing just what you see in the papers and on the news, PLEASE! [[That last sentence wasn't just for you. It was for everyone who insists on judging Detroit EXCLUSIVELY based on sensationalized media trash -- not journalism.)
    Mam, I appreciate what you are saying; however, many of the decisions that I make about Detroit and whether or not I will partake in activity in Detroit is based on what I hear on the news and read in the papers. As much as I would love to experience Detroit. I have to take into consideration what I read or hear about crime before I make decisions to put myself or my family in harms way by coming into Detroit.

As far as corruption, greed and fraud is concerned...yes, I'm sure it was going on during the many many years I lived in Detroit, but not as much and certainly not as blatant as it is today. I don't believe everything I read in newspapers, I am not that naive. I don't think that the corruption that is reported by the news media is "sensationalized media trash" either. When I see that indictments are being handed down just about every time someone is accused or written about, I have to believe that the reporting is true. Whether you think so or not, with all due respect, the news media performs a service to the people of Detroit and the State of Michigan to keep them informed. Unfortunately, the information we are all gleaning is about greed, corruption and fraud, there is no denying it.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    It is needlessly inflammatory and highly deceptive, no matter what qualifications buried in the article may state.
    Lowell, Detroit News headline and first two article words say carefully: "PART of"
    The headline here on your site by the OP is the erroneous and inflammatory one because it carefully leaves out the important qualifier the the DN used.
    Good point. Thread title changed. I still think that the title by inserting the "$11 million" is inflammatory. The actual loss may be 'only' in the thousands. Outrageous is any case, particularly in that people in search of jobs are not being aided.

Buy American Guest

The article says only "2" residents benefitted from this grant of $11million. Even if they were wrong by 20 residents, that's still a load of cash that has disappeared and someone has a very nice car, very nice furniture, nice clothes for themselves, nice vacation pictures, or paid off charges.

Bottom line, I left out the words "PART OF" on the heading of this thread, but that's small potatoes in the big picture....and, as I said above, all a person has to do is click on the link and can read the article themselves.

What a horrible article. It's only purpose was to invoke a negative response from ignorant people. I can't believe how many people on the Detroit News website were ranting about $27,000 suits.

The only clear thing was that $148k was advanced by a contractor to without any kind of oversight by anyone that would be overseeing this project.
    I think you're missing the point, big time. The funding is there to help people and it's not being utilized. And that's entirely on Bing's administration. It has nothing to do with the economy, shrinking population, union concessions or any other excuse that Bing always falls back on. The money was wasted due to a lack of work provided by people that were put in place by Bing. Opportunity wasted, money wasted. Which is what the article was pointing out.

The article says only "2" residents benefitted from this grant of $11million. Even if they were wrong by 20 residents, that's still a load of cash that has disappeared and someone has a very nice car, very nice furniture, nice clothes for themselves, nice vacation pictures, or paid off charges.

Bottom line, I left out the words "PART OF" on the heading of this thread, but that's small potatoes in the big picture....and, as I said above, all a person has to do is click on the link and can read the article themselves.
    Incorrect again. The $11MM grant was for multiple services/functions, one of which was for supplying clothing for 400 job seekers. The article doesn't indicate what part of the $11MM was allocated or spent on this service.

You keep inferring that $11MM was allocated for the one service. You are incorrect in that inference.

What would be critical pieces of information is [[a) what amount of the $11MM grant went to this service [[b) what amount of money has been spent by people overseeing [[a). Until the media is clear in those two items people like yourself will keep stating that there was an $11MM grant to clothe 400 people. Even if they allocated $1000/person there would only be $400K of the grant going to this one function.

Repeating something enough doesn't make it reality. The sad reality is that the media is getting the reaction and incorrect inferences from you and other readers even though they properly used the term "part of"

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    Surprise, surprise. The media sensationalizing an already pitiful story just to make it seem worse? Oh, go on! [[rolling my eyes)

I wonder who requested that audit? Was it the the department? No. Was it the Mayor? No. Was it the state? No. It was the City Council. What?! You mean the City Council actually does something besides twiddle their thumbs?! Get outta here!
    I have not watched any council sessions lately. Do you know what course of action[[s) council has taken since receiving the audit?

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    I think you're missing the point, big time. The funding is there to help people and it's not being utilized. And that's entirely on Bing's administration. It has nothing to do with the economy, shrinking population, union concessions or any other excuse that Bing always falls back on. The money was wasted due to a lack of work provided by people that were put in place by Bing. Opportunity wasted, money wasted. Which is what the article was pointing out.
    Agreed - More and more is coming out about the $$ the city has to help people [[weatherization grants, razing homes, this, etc) that is either not being spent or being spent ineffectively or criminally.

Let's bring back the previous city auditor [[I can't remember his name) and actually have Bing and CC listen to him [[since KK and the last council wouldn't)

Buy American Guest

Incorrect again. The $11MM grant was for multiple services/functions, one of which was for supplying clothing for 400 job seekers. The article doesn't indicate what part of the $11MM was allocated or spent on this service.

You keep inferring that $11MM was allocated for the one service. You are incorrect in that inference.

What would be critical pieces of information is [[a) what amount of the $11MM grant went to this service [[b) what amount of money has been spent by people overseeing [[a). Until the media is clear in those two items people like yourself will keep stating that there was an $11MM grant to clothe 400 people. Even if they allocated $1000/person there would only be $400K of the grant going to this one function.

Repeating something enough doesn't make it reality. The sad reality is that the media is getting the reaction and incorrect inferences from you and other readers even though they properly used the term "part of"
    Was there any place in the article where it said that only 2 people benefitted from this grant? Was there any place in this article where it said that 400 low-income people should have benefitted?

Let's cut the crap and face the facts that the money was mis-managed because $11 Million dollars surely did not go for what it was intended for. Why is it so hard to just accept that the City can't handle it's own finances and that there are many corrupt individuals working there who are pocketing funds.
    You just want to shoot the messenger.

Yeah the devil is in the details along with the missing funds. Mismanagement of funds/ moneys is so ingrained locally and justified! And then defended, and then justified some more!
    Was there any place in the article where it said that only 2 people benefitted from this grant? Was there any place in this article where it said that 400 low-income people should have benefitted?

Let's cut the crap and face the facts that the money was mis-managed because $11 Million dollars surely did not go for what it was intended for. Why is it so hard to just accept that the City can't handle it's own finances and that there are many corrupt individuals working there who are pocketing funds.

I’m starting to believe that you are either the most dense person around or just ignoring the points to keep yourself entertained. So to answer your questions/respond to your statements:
    1. Was there any place in the article where it said that only 2 people benefitted from this grant? [[My response)The article stated only two people have benefited from this one function. It also lists other functions that operate under this grant [[including a call center intended to assist up to 60,000 poor people or families)
    2. Was there any place in this article where it said that 400 low-income people should have benefitted? [[My response)Yes, the article stated this function was intended to help 400 people. The article stated this was one function of the $11MM grant. Maybe it needs to be stated more explicity so it will sink in for you. By stating, or believing, that the $11MM grant was intended to help clothe 400 people implies that you are dense enough to believe that the grant was to allocate $27,500 per person for clothing. Surely you’re not that naive.
    3. Let's cut the crap and face the facts that the money was mis-managed because $11 Million dollars surely did not go for what it was intended for. [[My response)This is the gist of my argument – what was the $11MM intended to do, what amount was allocated to clothe 400 people and what amount was wasted to only clothe 2 people. Pretty simple questions. The entire $11MM may have been wasted but I assure you it was not wasted on clothing only 2 people.
    4. Why is it so hard to just accept that the City can't handle it's own finances and that there are many corrupt individuals working there who are pocketing funds? [[My response)I have stated in damn near every post that the city is at fault, can’t manage their money and people should be fired and/or charged with crimes. Why is it so hard for you to read those statements?
    5. You just want to shoot the messenger. [[My response)Nope. I want to shoot [[or publicly flog) the officials that are mismanaging the money through theft, corruption or incompetence. I just want to messenger to have some integrity in their reporting.
    Hopefully, after reading this you are clear on two very critical things:
    1. I am upset about the city’s mismanagement and want anyone associated with waste in the city fired or, if possible, criminally charged. I have stated this in almost every post here.
    2. The entire $11MM grant went to multiple functions. Clothing 400 people was likely a small part of it. The news is being inflammatory by putting out articles that lead people like you to believe that $11MM was actually given to clothe 400 people.
    Last edited by jt1; March-09-12 at 01:39 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast