Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    People still want to shop at these malls, they are not going anywhere any time soon, just like going to the movies, going to the mall is a experience, it give people something to do. How much fun is it to never leave your home and just buy shit on-line, people need to get out. No wonder all these kids are so over weight, they trade playing basketball outside to playing basketball on ps3.
    Wow. You know there are things to do outside the house besides buy things?

That mess aside, I don't know why any of you seem to think there is going to be some thousand year Macomb Township Reich and that these malls "aren't going anywhere." Correct, they're not going away tomorrow, or five years from now, or ten years from now. The pattern of migration and abandonment in Metro Detroit is about 50 years. Neighborhoods in Detroit that were annexed as farmland within 50 years had not only been completely developed but were already emptied out from white flight.

Now look at the inner ring burbs [[and their malls.) Lord knows 50 years ago south Warren and Eastland Malls were the Macomb Townships and Partridge Creeks of their days. What shitholes they are now! While the inner ring burbs are certainly not as divested as Detroit [[or likely ever will be) they're looking pretty shitty these days, and their malls especially [[the ones that are still open). Could you even imagine what the area around Hall Road will look like in 50 years? Again, I'm not saying it's going to be Brightmooresque, but you have the additional problem of everything being a big box or the mall. You can't repurpose it for anything but another big box [[so it sits empty) and you're left with a closed mall. With all that shoddy construction, I doubt those houses or that mall can even be PHYSICALLY sustained that long. When are we going to think in the long term here? And I said transit one damn time so get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    That mess aside, I don't know why any of you seem to think there is going to be some thousand year Macomb Township Reich and that these malls "aren't going anywhere." Correct, they're not going away tomorrow, or five years from now, or ten years from now. The pattern of migration and abandonment in Metro Detroit is about 50 years. Neighborhoods in Detroit that were annexed as farmland within 50 years had not only been completely developed but were already emptied out from white flight.
    Lakeside opened in 1976. By your math it only has about 14 years left.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    People still want to shop at these malls, they are not going anywhere any time soon, just like going to the movies, going to the mall is a experience, it give people something to do. How much fun is it to never leave your home and just buy shit on-line, people need to get out. No wonder all these kids are so over weight, they trade playing basketball outside to playing basketball on ps3.
    I remember living out in Macomb County. Go to the mall, or go to the movies. Lakeside Mall is practically an institution out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ResurgetCineribus View Post
    I remember living out in Macomb County. Go to the mall, or go to the movies. Lakeside Mall is practically an institution out there.
    What's different in any other county?

I grew up in Romeo. I rarely spent time at Lakeside Mall, unless I needed to purchase something. I had plenty to do. Maybe people need a hobby?

Lakeside's response to Partridge Creek opening up: putting in brick pavers and new decorative lamp posts. The only thing Lakeside has going for it is it caters to less affluent people with cheaper stores then Partridge Creek. I used to live in the "burbs" and Lakeside was only about 15 minutes south. It used to be a nice mall. Lots of stores, easy access. Now I won't set foot in that mall. The clientele that hangs out at that mall makes me keep my wallet in my breast coat pocket. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but there are some real low lifes that hang out there. And anyone who's lived out in Macomb/Shelby will tell you we avoid Hall Rd like the plague. It doesn't matter what time of day it is, the traffic is unfathomable and unavoidable. I've been to the Partridge Creek mall twice. It's nice, but most of the people there are pretentious assholes who think that because they live in Macomb Twp and drive Range Rovers they are the king shit of everything. The same could be said for Sommerset, but at least it's big and you can find anything there.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Lakeside's response to Partridge Creek opening up: putting in brick pavers and new decorative lamp posts. The only thing Lakeside has going for it is it caters to less affluent people with cheaper stores then Partridge Creek. I used to live in the "burbs" and Lakeside was only about 15 minutes south. It used to be a nice mall. Lots of stores, easy access. Now I won't set foot in that mall. The clientele that hangs out at that mall makes me keep my wallet in my breast coat pocket. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but there are some real low lifes that hang out there. And anyone who's lived out in Macomb/Shelby will tell you we avoid Hall Rd like the plague. It doesn't matter what time of day it is, the traffic is unfathomable and unavoidable. I've been to the Partridge Creek mall twice. It's nice, but most of the people there are pretentious assholes who think that because they live in Macomb Twp and drive Range Rovers they are the king shit of everything. The same could be said for Sommerset, but at least it's big and you can find anything there.
    This is a very interesting post. Specifically, the class and monetary divide as suggested 2 miles apart E-W on Hall Road/20 Mile. I'm not arguing ot agreeing with the point you made, either. The irony to some must be mind boggling, as apparently many would consider this area to be suburban Port Huron/Sarnia.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Traffic on Hall road gets heavy at times, like rush hours. On weekends if we go there for shopping or dinner the traffic isn't that bad at all. It's not even a consideration.

GUSHI Guest

Partridge creek is very nice and I can take my dog there, so it gets my vote and yes hall rd is always busy, and no I don't think my shit doesn't stink, cuz I drive a land rover and live in Shelby.

Funny how everyone is trying to talk poorly of the malls on Hall Rd, and just Hall Rd in general, yet business is booming up and down M-59.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Funny how everyone is trying to talk poorly of the malls on Hall Rd, and just Hall Rd in general, yet business is booming up and down M-59.
    Yes, but don't you understand? THOSE people [[and there progeny) who moved out of Detroit , oh 30 to 40 yrs ago, don't deserve to be prosperous. They should be punished for exercising their right to live where they like because where they like isn't Detroit. So, close your eyes, click you heels three times, say "There's no place like the D" and all the businesses on Hall Rd and environs will be obliterated along with the hopes, dreams and McMansions of all those deserters.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Yes, but don't you understand? THOSE people [[and there progeny) who moved out of Detroit , oh 30 to 40 yrs ago, don't deserve to be prosperous. They should be punished for exercising their right to live where they like because where they like isn't Detroit. So, close your eyes, click you heels three times, say "There's no place like the D" and all the businesses on Hall Rd and environs will be obliterated along with the hopes, dreams and McMansions of all those deserters.

I don't think anyone ever said that. All I've seen on this forum is people asking the State of Michigan and local governments to stop building new freeways, utilities, schools, and safety services in the orchards while the infrastructure needs of the City of Detroit and inner-ring suburbs go neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I don't think anyone ever said that. All I've seen on this forum is people asking the State of Michigan and local governments to stop building new freeways, utilities, schools, and safety services in the orchards while the infrastructure needs of the City of Detroit and inner-ring suburbs go neglected.
    Maybe you need to work on your reading retention.

What does being prosperous have to do with shopping on Hall Rd?

Where did you find that in this thread? Show me.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Where did you find that in this thread? Show me.
    Kind of hard to point out things when posts suddenly disappear because they don't mesh with the general point of view of the powers that be and anyway, where did I say it was in THIS thread? There have been thousands of threads over the years.

Kind of hard to point out things when posts suddenly disappear because they don't mesh with the general point of view of the powers that be and anyway, where did I say it was in THIS thread? There have been thousands of threads over the years.

That's what I thought. Thanks for playing!

If these malls were on Woodward a mile apart, this thread never would have been started. No matter how bad the traffic was, it would be seen as a blessing and deserved. Because it's in the suburbs, it's neither. It's somehow wrong that they even exist and that they are patronized quite generously.

If these malls were on Woodward a mile apart, this thread never would have been started. No matter how bad the traffic was, it would be seen as a blessing and deserved. Because it's in the suburbs, it's neither. It's somehow wrong that they even exist and that they are patronized quite generously.
    I think the same people would still be complaining for the same reasons, maybe even more loudly if the malls were in Detroit. Hall Rd was not dictated by market forces. Instead, it was dictated by private developers who were in cahoots with the latest Maybury that wanted to be the premier retail destination. This is no different than Livonia 50 years ago or Southfield 40 years ago or Troy 30 years ago or Novi 20 years ago or Canton 10 years ago.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I think the same people would still be complaining for the same reasons, maybe even more loudly if the malls were in Detroit. Hall Rd was not dictated by market forces. Instead, it was dictated by private developers who were in cahoots with the latest Maybury that wanted to be the premier retail destination. This is no different than Livonia 50 years ago or Southfield 40 years ago or Troy 30 years ago or Novi 20 years ago or Canton 10 years ago.
    That statement doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    That statement doesn't make any sense.
    What about it doesn't make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    What about it doesn't make sense?
    None of it.

Well, you're most welcome, but I don't recall ever having played with you.

And here's a list of some other area malls and their lifespans according to poobert's math:

Northland: 1954-2004 [[would be dead today)
    Eastland: 1957-2007 [[would be dead today)
    Wonderland: 1959-2009 [[already died, though in 2005)
    Summit Place: 1962-2012 [[would be dead this year)
    Macomb: 1964-2014 [[two years left)
    Universal: 1964-2014 [[two years left)
    Livonia: 1964-2014 [[already died, though in 2009)
    Westland: 1965-2015 [[three years left)
    Tel-Twelve: 1968-2018 [[already died)
    Oakland: 1968-2018 [[six years left)
    Somerset Collection: South 1969-2019; north 1996-2046 [[South has seven years left; north has 34 years left)
    Southland: 1970-2020 [[eight years left)
    Briarwood: 1973-2023 [[11 years left)
    Fairlane: 1976-2026 [[14 years left)
    Twelve Oaks: 1977-2027 [[15 years left)
    Horizon Outlet Center, Monroe: 1987-2037 [[25 years left)
    Laurel Park Place: 1989-2039 [[27 years left)
    Birchwood: 1990-2040 [[28 years left)
    Kensington Valley Factory Shops: 1996-2046 [[34 years left)
    Great Lakes Crossing: 1998-2048 [[36 years left)

What would you think?

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    And here's a list of some other area malls and their lifespans according to poobert's math:

Northland: 1954-2004 [[would be dead today)
    Eastland: 1957-2007 [[would be dead today)
    Wonderland: 1959-2009 [[already died, though in 2005)
    Summit Place: 1962-2012 [[would be dead this year)
    Macomb: 1964-2014 [[two years left)
    Livonia: 1964-2014 [[already died, though in 2009)
    Westland: 1965-2015 [[three years left)
    Tel-Twelve: 1968-2018 [[already died)
    Oakland: 1968-2018 [[six years left)
    Somerset Collection: South 1969-2019; north 1996-2046 [[South has seven years left; north has 34 years left)
    Southland: 1970-2020 [[eight years left)
    Briarwood: 1973-2023 [[11 years left)
    Fairlane: 1976-2026 [[14 years left)
    Twelve Oaks: 1977-2027 [[15 years left)
    Horizon Outlet Center, Monroe: 1987-2037 [[25 years left)
    Laurel Park Place: 1989-2039 [[27 years left)
    Birchwood: 1990-2040 [[28 years left)
    Kensington Valley Factory Shops: 1996-2046 [[34 years left)
    Great Lakes Crossing: 1998-2048 [[36 years left)

What would you think?
    You're right, my math was way off, not an absolute formula. Look at the first 8 or so malls though, and their environs. Not doing so hot, eh? I'm not saying abolish malls and the suburbs. Do any of you really think we need that many goddamn malls? Even I was astounded by the length of that list. And that doesn't count big box stores and strip malls. Most of those malls were built after Metro Detroit stopped growing in the 1970's. So we needed ten more malls, and to pave G-d knows how many acres of orchards and farmland for subdivisions for no more population? Again - live where you want, but can't our government be smarter about our development?

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Universal Mall died. Although a new developer took over and did some great stuff with the land. There's now a series of strip malls anchored by a Target that moved from a half mile down the road.

It looks nice, but there's still a lot of empty space in it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast