Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Buy American Guest

Partridge Creek allows dogs and I was constantly watching where I walked because of dog poop. There was a Judge Judy case involving a couple who brought their dog into a restaurant and the woman was feeding the dog from a plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Partridge Creek allows dogs and I was constantly watching where I walked because of dog poop. There was a Judge Judy case involving a couple who brought their dog into a restaurant and the woman was feeding the dog from a plate.
    I hope you are talking about leader dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    So the demise of this area is so far into the future, that other areas will have failed long before this one does.
    I doubt that area could withstand a prolonged period of $5+/gallon gasoline.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I doubt that area could withstand a prolonged period of $5+/gallon gasoline.
    At least one statement I read suggests that the area would be fine because the entire M-59/Hall Road corridor is homogenous, everyone hates Detroit, refuses to go to Detroit, refuses to work in Detroit, and everyone is exceedingly wealthy.

EDIT: ...and apparently that post, and Gistok's terrific reply, is gone.
    Last edited by bartock; March-07-12 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    No, that's impossible. No young people want to live anywhere other than downtown, in walkable, transit-oriented development. You are making this up and making lots of urbanists wince and cry.
    You're right. Southeast Michigan, and Michigan as a whole, is obviously a model for good, well-planned, sustainable development. We saw that in the last census.

Wow.....when did this place go up?

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Wow.....when did this place go up?
    Lakeside? About 35 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    Lakeside? About 35 years ago.
    lol
    No silly...Partridge Creek.

Default Gloom & doom.....

Brick & mortar malls will continue to fail & be a long lost memory.....e-Business on the internet will continue to dominate with a significant lower cost model & consumer variety!

Fuel at $5.00/gal will only accelerate the failures.....

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    You're right. Southeast Michigan, and Michigan as a whole, is obviously a model for good, well-planned, sustainable development. We saw that in the last census.
    The last census saw growth in the area being discussed, but of course everyone who thinks that mass transit is kinda down the list of "front burner" issues in this region is an idiot, according to some here. Anyone who thinks that there is actually growing diversity in the suburbs of this regions is an idiot. And, of course, to think that an issue like economic diversity is more front burner than "the problem" of having two malls in a relatively densly [[by almost any standard) populated area 20 miles outside of the City, is, somewhat predictably, considered idiocy. To some here. Repeatedly.
    Last edited by bartock; March-07-12 at 08:00 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    everyone who thinks that mass transit is kinda down the list of "front burner" issues in this region is an idiot
    Well said.

GUSHI Guest

People still want to shop at these malls, they are not going anywhere any time soon, just like going to the movies, going to the mall is a experience, it give people something to do. How much fun is it to never leave your home and just buy shit on-line, people need to get out. No wonder all these kids are so over weight, they trade playing basketball outside to playing basketball on ps3.

Lakeside's response to Partridge Creek opening up: putting in brick pavers and new decorative lamp posts. The only thing Lakeside has going for it is it caters to less affluent people with cheaper stores then Partridge Creek. I used to live in the "burbs" and Lakeside was only about 15 minutes south. It used to be a nice mall. Lots of stores, easy access. Now I won't set foot in that mall. The clientele that hangs out at that mall makes me keep my wallet in my breast coat pocket. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but there are some real low lifes that hang out there. And anyone who's lived out in Macomb/Shelby will tell you we avoid Hall Rd like the plague. It doesn't matter what time of day it is, the traffic is unfathomable and unavoidable. I've been to the Partridge Creek mall twice. It's nice, but most of the people there are pretentious assholes who think that because they live in Macomb Twp and drive Range Rovers they are the king shit of everything. The same could be said for Sommerset, but at least it's big and you can find anything there.

GUSHI Guest

Partridge creek is very nice and I can take my dog there, so it gets my vote and yes hall rd is always busy, and no I don't think my shit doesn't stink, cuz I drive a land rover and live in Shelby.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    Well said.
    "The last census saw growth in the area being discussed, but of course everyone who thinks that mass transit is kinda down the list of "front burner" issues in this region is an idiot, according to some here. Anyone who thinks that there is actually growing diversity in the suburbs of this regions is an idiot. And, of course, to think that an issue like economic diversity is more front burner than "the problem" of having two malls in a relatively densly [[by almost any standard) populated area 20 miles outside of the City, is, somewhat predictably, considered idiocy. To some here. Repeatedly."

Thanks! I knew someone as so clearly intelligent as you wouldn't even have the capacity to cherry-pick a couple of words out of context and pretend to post them as truth, just to pretend to be clever!

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Lakeside's response to Partridge Creek opening up: putting in brick pavers and new decorative lamp posts. The only thing Lakeside has going for it is it caters to less affluent people with cheaper stores then Partridge Creek. I used to live in the "burbs" and Lakeside was only about 15 minutes south. It used to be a nice mall. Lots of stores, easy access. Now I won't set foot in that mall. The clientele that hangs out at that mall makes me keep my wallet in my breast coat pocket. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but there are some real low lifes that hang out there. And anyone who's lived out in Macomb/Shelby will tell you we avoid Hall Rd like the plague. It doesn't matter what time of day it is, the traffic is unfathomable and unavoidable. I've been to the Partridge Creek mall twice. It's nice, but most of the people there are pretentious assholes who think that because they live in Macomb Twp and drive Range Rovers they are the king shit of everything. The same could be said for Sommerset, but at least it's big and you can find anything there.
    This is a very interesting post. Specifically, the class and monetary divide as suggested 2 miles apart E-W on Hall Road/20 Mile. I'm not arguing ot agreeing with the point you made, either. The irony to some must be mind boggling, as apparently many would consider this area to be suburban Port Huron/Sarnia.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Traffic on Hall road gets heavy at times, like rush hours. On weekends if we go there for shopping or dinner the traffic isn't that bad at all. It's not even a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    People still want to shop at these malls, they are not going anywhere any time soon, just like going to the movies, going to the mall is a experience, it give people something to do. How much fun is it to never leave your home and just buy shit on-line, people need to get out. No wonder all these kids are so over weight, they trade playing basketball outside to playing basketball on ps3.
    Wow. You know there are things to do outside the house besides buy things?

That mess aside, I don't know why any of you seem to think there is going to be some thousand year Macomb Township Reich and that these malls "aren't going anywhere." Correct, they're not going away tomorrow, or five years from now, or ten years from now. The pattern of migration and abandonment in Metro Detroit is about 50 years. Neighborhoods in Detroit that were annexed as farmland within 50 years had not only been completely developed but were already emptied out from white flight.

Now look at the inner ring burbs [[and their malls.) Lord knows 50 years ago south Warren and Eastland Malls were the Macomb Townships and Partridge Creeks of their days. What shitholes they are now! While the inner ring burbs are certainly not as divested as Detroit [[or likely ever will be) they're looking pretty shitty these days, and their malls especially [[the ones that are still open). Could you even imagine what the area around Hall Road will look like in 50 years? Again, I'm not saying it's going to be Brightmooresque, but you have the additional problem of everything being a big box or the mall. You can't repurpose it for anything but another big box [[so it sits empty) and you're left with a closed mall. With all that shoddy construction, I doubt those houses or that mall can even be PHYSICALLY sustained that long. When are we going to think in the long term here? And I said transit one damn time so get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Thanks! I knew someone as so clearly intelligent as you wouldn't even have the capacity to cherry-pick a couple of words out of context and pretend to post them as truth, just to pretend to be clever!
    Just because you didn't mean it doesn't mean it's not the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    That mess aside, I don't know why any of you seem to think there is going to be some thousand year Macomb Township Reich and that these malls "aren't going anywhere." Correct, they're not going away tomorrow, or five years from now, or ten years from now. The pattern of migration and abandonment in Metro Detroit is about 50 years. Neighborhoods in Detroit that were annexed as farmland within 50 years had not only been completely developed but were already emptied out from white flight.
    Lakeside opened in 1976. By your math it only has about 14 years left.

Funny how everyone is trying to talk poorly of the malls on Hall Rd, and just Hall Rd in general, yet business is booming up and down M-59.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Funny how everyone is trying to talk poorly of the malls on Hall Rd, and just Hall Rd in general, yet business is booming up and down M-59.
    Yes, but don't you understand? THOSE people [[and there progeny) who moved out of Detroit , oh 30 to 40 yrs ago, don't deserve to be prosperous. They should be punished for exercising their right to live where they like because where they like isn't Detroit. So, close your eyes, click you heels three times, say "There's no place like the D" and all the businesses on Hall Rd and environs will be obliterated along with the hopes, dreams and McMansions of all those deserters.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Yes, but don't you understand? THOSE people [[and there progeny) who moved out of Detroit , oh 30 to 40 yrs ago, don't deserve to be prosperous. They should be punished for exercising their right to live where they like because where they like isn't Detroit. So, close your eyes, click you heels three times, say "There's no place like the D" and all the businesses on Hall Rd and environs will be obliterated along with the hopes, dreams and McMansions of all those deserters.

I don't think anyone ever said that. All I've seen on this forum is people asking the State of Michigan and local governments to stop building new freeways, utilities, schools, and safety services in the orchards while the infrastructure needs of the City of Detroit and inner-ring suburbs go neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I don't think anyone ever said that. All I've seen on this forum is people asking the State of Michigan and local governments to stop building new freeways, utilities, schools, and safety services in the orchards while the infrastructure needs of the City of Detroit and inner-ring suburbs go neglected.
    Maybe you need to work on your reading retention.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    What does being prosperous have to do with shopping on Hall Rd?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast