Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
It will survive until they finally put a mall in the vicinity of 26 and Mound/Van Dyke area like has been bandied about for years. All the Washington/Romeo/Macomb Twp/Shelby Twp residents will abandon Lakeside rather quickly I'd expect. There was a mass exodus it seemed to The Village in Rochester when that opened back when I was in high school. But I will agree it does have the bad weather appeal that a open air mall can't compete with.
26 and Mound is pretty close to the Stony Creek entrance, so I don't see a mall there; 26 and Van Dyke already has a Target, Meijer, Home Depot, Kohls, and assorted other stores, but I don't see the same stores on Hall Rd or in Rochester/Rochester Hills suffering over much. They have talked about putting a Wal Mart and a mall up at 32 and Van Dyke, in Romeo, for a number of years now, but I haven't seen any action in that respect and I lived near there for 36 yrs, up to last week. It seems a little close to the 23 and Van Dyke Walmart, but I'm sure it will be supported adequately as is the one on 23 and the one on Mound and 59. There is more than enough shopping traffic in that area to support a lot of stuff. Don't forget that there is very little retail past the 26 and Van Dyke area up until you get to Lapeer or Port Huron. Those people need to shop too. Most of those little towns don't have much more that a grocery store, a drug store and a plethora of gas stations and bars. Almont even lacks the grocer.