Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I've lived most of my life outside the state, and a few years of my life outside the nation. First generation American and non-native Detroiter.

If you find fault with my statements, then challenge them, but juvenile and irrelevent personal attacks are a waste of everyone's time.
    Chicago lost 6.9% of its population in the last decade. It grew in the 1990's. Detroit lost 25% of its population in the last decade!

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ecline_do.html
    This dude seems to grasp what at least half the people here adamantly refuse to admit even exists:
    "The problem with the “things like this happen all the time in Chicago argument” is – while Detroit and Chicago may share many of the same negatives – Detroit lacks Chicago’s positive quality of life attributes. If Detroit could match Chicago for downtown vibrancy, economic and ethnic diversity, fully-formed mass transit, and walkability then we wouldn’t waste time comparing population losses."

At any given place in Metro Detroit, only one of those attributes may apply [[except little old Hamtramck being both diverse and walkable, heh) - and in most places in the Metro none of those factors apply at all - ahem, that'll be my Hall Road/Lakeside tie in to keep the thread on topic! Of course, according to many people here, none of that shit really matters. Glad there are people like kraig around...I'm also going to keep on keepin' up the good old neighborhood I live in until I leave the state. I just can't do this forever.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Chicago lost 6.9% of its population in the last decade. It grew in the 1990's. Detroit lost 25% of its population in the last decade!
    Like I said, Chicago has the second worst population loss in the nation.

Chicago lost over 200,000 residents, or 7% its population, over the last decade.

And, if you look at the annualized data, the decline has accelerated in the last few years, so basically 1% population loss annualized.

Chicago has basically had non-stop population loss since about 1950. The 1990-2000 decennial data is useless for all cities, because Census changed the methodology [[they used assumed homeless and other nonrespondents, which had never been done before).

So, if you're asking if Chicago is doing relatively well compared to Detroit, the answer is obviously yes. Compared to anywhere else, pretty much no.