Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Future of Lakeside Mall

What do you think will happen to Lakeside mall since the introduction of the Mall at Partridge Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by D_Town View Post
    What do you think will happen to Lakeside mall since the introduction of the Mall at Partridge Creek?
    Since no one else will answer your question, here is my supposition:

1. Nordstrom in PC will take some business from Macys, Sears, and Penneys in LM, but this will be offset by those who are attracted to two main shopping centers at one location.

2. There may be some migration of the smaller stores as the more upscale move to PC, but the synergistic effect of two close together centers will make LM a more desirable place to open a store.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    the synergistic effect of two close together centers will make LM a more desirable place to open a store.
    If this is true why did Taubman sell Lakside when he opened Partidge Creek?

Lakeside Mall will survive. I have been there over the weekend and still bustling with people. The mall still has the advantage during rainy and stormy days and has a excellent Food Court and traditional storefronts. Lord and Taylor is still in business and is two separate Macy's stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Lakeside Mall will survive. I have been there over the weekend and still bustling with people. The mall still has the advantage during rainy and stormy days and has a excellent Food Court and traditional storefronts. Lord and Taylor is still in business and is two separate Macy's stores.

It will survive until they finally put a mall in the vicinity of 26 and Mound/Van Dyke area like has been bandied about for years. All the Washington/Romeo/Macomb Twp/Shelby Twp residents will abandon Lakeside rather quickly I'd expect. There was a mass exodus it seemed to The Village in Rochester when that opened back when I was in high school. But I will agree it does have the bad weather appeal that a open air mall can't compete with.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    It will survive until they finally put a mall in the vicinity of 26 and Mound/Van Dyke area like has been bandied about for years. All the Washington/Romeo/Macomb Twp/Shelby Twp residents will abandon Lakeside rather quickly I'd expect. There was a mass exodus it seemed to The Village in Rochester when that opened back when I was in high school. But I will agree it does have the bad weather appeal that a open air mall can't compete with.
    26 and Mound is pretty close to the Stony Creek entrance, so I don't see a mall there; 26 and Van Dyke already has a Target, Meijer, Home Depot, Kohls, and assorted other stores, but I don't see the same stores on Hall Rd or in Rochester/Rochester Hills suffering over much. They have talked about putting a Wal Mart and a mall up at 32 and Van Dyke, in Romeo, for a number of years now, but I haven't seen any action in that respect and I lived near there for 36 yrs, up to last week. It seems a little close to the 23 and Van Dyke Walmart, but I'm sure it will be supported adequately as is the one on 23 and the one on Mound and 59. There is more than enough shopping traffic in that area to support a lot of stuff. Don't forget that there is very little retail past the 26 and Van Dyke area up until you get to Lapeer or Port Huron. Those people need to shop too. Most of those little towns don't have much more that a grocery store, a drug store and a plethora of gas stations and bars. Almont even lacks the grocer.

I do wonder what will happen to malls like Lakeside when you have hip, outdoor malls that replicate how we used to shop in downtowns.

Where there other malls that were open but eventually covered, besides Eastland Mall, when that was the trend?

i never was a big fan of lakeside....to big and congested and i can't stand driving on hall rd. i like partridge overall and i can sneek in from romeo plank and avoid hall rd. all together.

Quote Originally Posted by lukabottle View Post
    I do wonder what will happen to malls like Lakeside when you have hip, outdoor malls that replicate how we used to shop in downtowns.
    The majority of people shopping in malls never have experienced shopping downtown.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    The majority of people shopping in malls never have experienced shopping downtown.
    A couple of the last "shopping" areas downtown - Trapper's Alley and The RenCen, were not really any different than mall shopping.

Ask how many of the tens of thousands of people who pour into "near" downtown every Saturday at Eastern Market shop at malls. Betcha that number is pretty damn high.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Ask how many of the tens of thousands of people who pour into "near" downtown every Saturday at Eastern Market shop at malls. Betcha that number is pretty damn high.
    Is there anywhere in Metro Detroit to shop outside of a mall and a couple shops in downtown Birmingham? Everything there is either mall [[including strip) or big box.

Lakeside will continue to hang on because [[a) the area its located in is doing well, [[b) it has the competitive advantage in winter, [[c) it continues offer a number of key retail stores not available at Partridge Creek, and [[d) it has the competitive advantage to serving Sterling Heights and western Macomb County, due to its location.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Is there anywhere in Metro Detroit to shop outside of a mall and a couple shops in downtown Birmingham? Everything there is either mall [[including strip) or big box.

Thus, my point.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    A couple of the last "shopping" areas downtown - Trapper's Alley and The RenCen, were not really any different than mall shopping.
    Yes, they were different from the mall. The RenCen had a lot of upscale boutiques that weren't affordable to the common folks. Trapper's Alley had alot of specialty shops that catered more so to vistors than the homegrown folks. Neither had alot of shops to warrant regular customers. They were more like a destination shopping area.

Maybe because we're too young to have been their during the retail glory days of the 40s-60s downtown.

Perhaps shopping in downtown Detroit, but I think there are plenty of other downtowns with shopping districts. I know that my grand children, who never shopped in downtown Detroit, HAVE shopped in downtown Boulder, Denver and even Alpena, MI. Contrary to popular belief [[on here) there are places with viable downtown areas.

Buy American Guest

If what you are looking for isn't on Hall Road then you don't need it. Every store imaginable is there within a few miles of each other. I just hate Hall Road.

Lakeside Mall is the primary mall that my family goes to. Oakland and Macomb are closer, but we've had less than desirable experiences there.

My wife forgot to lock her car at Oakland Mall[[shame on her), and someone was nice enough to go through the entire car looking for valuables but didn't find anything to their liking.

I can tell you the mall is still alive in well, with some store turnover, but a vast majority of the space is filled.

We go to Partidge Creek sometimes too, but we only do it when it's really nice outside. We've never gone there in the winter.
    Last edited by Scottathew; March-07-12 at 02:07 PM.

Buy American Guest

Partridge Creek allows dogs and I was constantly watching where I walked because of dog poop. There was a Judge Judy case involving a couple who brought their dog into a restaurant and the woman was feeding the dog from a plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Partridge Creek allows dogs and I was constantly watching where I walked because of dog poop. There was a Judge Judy case involving a couple who brought their dog into a restaurant and the woman was feeding the dog from a plate.
    I hope you are talking about leader dogs.

Wow.....when did this place go up?

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Wow.....when did this place go up?
    Lakeside? About 35 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    Lakeside? About 35 years ago.
    lol
    No silly...Partridge Creek.

Default Gloom & doom.....

Brick & mortar malls will continue to fail & be a long lost memory.....e-Business on the internet will continue to dominate with a significant lower cost model & consumer variety!

Fuel at $5.00/gal will only accelerate the failures.....

GUSHI Guest

People still want to shop at these malls, they are not going anywhere any time soon, just like going to the movies, going to the mall is a experience, it give people something to do. How much fun is it to never leave your home and just buy shit on-line, people need to get out. No wonder all these kids are so over weight, they trade playing basketball outside to playing basketball on ps3.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast