Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Buy American Guest

Default Virtual 911 in Detroit

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...cy-20120305-ms

This is an open invitation to thieves, murderers, rapists and all other thugs in Detroit to "have at it" in Detroit. I can't believe that this is the alternative service the DPD is offering the citizens. There's money...who has it??? Why isn't it being spent correctly???

Detroit police leadership is trying to put a positive spin on their new " Telephone Crime Reporting Unit" in this article:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

This is how it works. If you've been held up and the gunman is long gone, or you've been assaulted but not too badly, or your home has been broken into, that's not 911 anymore. They'll transfer you or you can call the Telephone Crime Reporting Unit yourself at 313-267-4600.Since officers couldn't get to a majority of the 850,000 calls to 911 last year, most of the time you'll talk to an operator, not a cop.

Uh, you've always talked to an operator and never to a cop. Cops don't answer the 911 calls, operators [[who are not deputized) answer them. I don't think this is a cost-cutting measure either. It's an attempt to make the system more efficient. They aren't laying off any operators since they barely have enough to handle the current call volumes as it is.

Regardless of how we all think things SHOULD be the fact is that as of THIS MOMENT there are way more calls than there are resources to handle them, and so performing what is basically triage on the incoming calls is not a horrible idea. Yes it will suck if you get robbed or your house is broken into, but if you're physically safe and the perps are long gone do you really think DPD is going to catch them? Tying up an officer or two to come out and file a report that will never be opened again is just a waste of precious resources. It's unfortunate, but it's the truth.

This is just the start if thief's and Vandals don't get any response.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...ger-frustrated
    Last edited by Wheels; March-07-12 at 09:07 AM.

I wish Bing would just get on a news conference and say, "Fuck it. We can't battle crime and quite frankly we just don't care anymore." I mean, he might as well. Basically, this is how the criminals see it. Nothing out of this administration is proving the criminals wrong. Just be honest Bing and tell the few remaining productive citizens to get out, Detroit is now a criminal's paradise.

Hah. That's a vision - Bing all suited up making that er-um 'declaration' before the media! Funny if it where not so tragically true.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I wish Bing would just get on a news conference and say, "Fuck it. We can't battle crime and quite frankly we just don't care anymore."
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-07-12 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I wish Bing would just get on a news conference and say, "Fuck it. We can't battle crime and quite frankly we just don't care anymore." I mean, he might as well. Basically, this is how the criminals see it. Nothing out of this administration is proving the criminals wrong. Just be honest Bing and tell the few remaining productive citizens to get out, Detroit is now a criminal's paradise.
    This is hardly the city surrendering to criminals. Many cities de-prioritize non-safety threatening calls away from the 911 lines. And Detroit's 911 is constantly deluged with calls to 911 that could be better handled in other ways.

Buy American Guest

Look at this video and see what the DFD has to contend with on a daily basis. Along with serious, life-threatening fires...this is what they walk into.

http://vimeo.com/32549486

one word...CCW.

I lie my ass off to get police to show up when they try not to. Several years ago working at the Leland "hotel" downtown, several guys got into a fight that quickly escalated to guns being drawn and two shots fired. That was my final night of work there because DPD never arrived. I was very traumatized cause it was just myself and a very heavy set old man that was a "security" guard. I learned at that point and especially now that you need to lie or do whatever you can in this city to get help.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...cy-20120305-ms

This is an open invitation to thieves, murderers, rapists and all other thugs in Detroit to "have at it" in Detroit. I can't believe that this is the alternative service the DPD is offering the citizens. There's money...who has it??? Why isn't it being spent correctly???