Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Yacht Club gets historic designation

Not sure if this has been posted yet .

Christine MacDonald/ The Detroit News
    Detroit— The Detroit Yacht Club has been added to the National Register of Historic Places. The club on Belle Isle is the 12th oldest in the nation.
    "The Detroit Yacht Club has a long and fascinating history in the city of Detroit," said State Historic Preservation Officer Brian Conway in a press release today. "We are pleased that the club sought national recognition and that the members are such excellent stewards of this important site."
    The clubhouse was built between 1921 and 1923 near Belle Isle and is "notable as an outstanding example both of 'Mediterranean' architecture in Detroit and club architecture anywhere," according to the press release. The club is listed as the 12th oldest yacht club in the nation, founded in 1868.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110613/...#ixzz1PHt98xAG

Looooong overdue.

The Yachtclub was the very first object I virually visited when I stumbled upon the Detroityes site, not yet the forum. From there I've seen the whole site back and forth and never left this community.

Having been inside for a Preservation Wayne gathering... I have to say that the exterior doesn't prepare you for the vast elegant spaces inside... the ceilings are especially spectacular.

This is the one that is not open, right?

Stromberg2

No, the scary one is the Detroit Boat Club. It was founded in 1830 something and is home to the county's oldest rowing club. The City owns the Boat Club and rents out to the rowers on a month-to-month basis. That is one reason it is falling apart, the City refuses to issue long-term leases or to sell the place at a reasonable price. A classic example of Detroit's Golden Ticket philosophy.

The GTPh works roughly like this: if this was NY or Chicago my ______ would be worth ____ million. However, every so often the GTPh pays off; ie the Farwell or Capitol Park Bldgs.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

The GTPh works roughly like this: if this was NY or Chicago my ______ would be worth ____ million. However, every so often the GTPh pays off; ie the Farwell or Capitol Park Bldgs.

I like that, The GTPh!!!

It's one of the least-known-about jewels in the entire city of Detroit. I am guessing the members probably don't mind that! I was lucky enough to spend a great deal of time there growing up in the 60s and 70s when we had a large sail boat. I loved the DYC! I have wonderful memories.

i have photographed a few weddings there. the place is magnificent and it is a shame more people cant experience it.

That's true, it's a pity it isn't more accessible. It's built on such a massive scale... as were so many of Detroit's 1920s gems... the Fox, Fisher Building, Guardian Building and Masonic Temple.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    No, the scary one is the Detroit Boat Club. It was founded in 1830 something and is home to the county's oldest rowing club. The City owns the Boat Club and rents out to the rowers on a month-to-month basis. That is one reason it is falling apart, the City refuses to issue long-term leases or to sell the place at a reasonable price. A classic example of Detroit's Golden Ticket philosophy. The GTPh works roughly like this: if this was NY or Chicago my ______ would be worth ____ million. However, every so often the GTPh pays off; ie the Farwell or Capitol Park Bldgs.
    Its a good thing the city refuses to sell. The underpinnings of the boat club are rotting away. The last estimate I heard and this was from the early 90's was 20 million to repair the foundation. Who knows what the price would be now! George Mason did a nice job with the DYC clubhouse!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; March-19-12 at 06:43 PM.

Kind of off topic but since were talking about both clubs. What kind of tree is the one right out front of the BOAT club? Its a tall tree that is shaped kind like a Christmas tree. Seen them around and always wondered.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Kind of off topic but since were talking about both clubs. What kind of tree is the one right out front of the BOAT club? Its a tall tree that is shaped kind like a Christmas tree. Seen them around and always wondered.
    Spent over 20 years of my life there and never gave the tree any thought.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Spent over 20 years of my life there and never gave the tree any thought.
    The tree on the far left-kinda cut off in the pic. What kind is it???

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    That's true, it's a pity it isn't more accessible. It's built on such a massive scale... as were so many of Detroit's 1920s gems... the Fox, Fisher Building, Guardian Building and Masonic Temple.
    As far as Yacht Clubs go, it is quite accessible. Membership is quite affordable and by no means limited to blue bloods. While there is the share of those, everyone is quite nice and laid back and there is a good mix of city and suburban residents. Membership is also much cheaper for the under 30's and there are a lot of young Detroit professionals who are members.
    Over half of the membership doesn't own a boat, either.

I am a proud member of this venerable institution and encourage others to consider membership to help build another 144 years of history there!

what are the benefits for non-boat owners?

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    As far as Yacht Clubs go, it is quite accessible. Membership is quite affordable and by no means limited to blue bloods. While there is the share of those, everyone is quite nice and laid back and there is a good mix of city and suburban residents. Membership is also much cheaper for the under 30's and there are a lot of young Detroit professionals who are members.
    Over half of the membership doesn't own a boat, either.

I am a proud member of this venerable institution and encourage others to consider membership to help build another 144 years of history there!
    By location the club is the least accessible private club in southeast MI. One has to go to Belle Isle not an easy task getting the majority of the metro area to do. Then drive all the way to the end of the island. Who wants to to that on an evening during the summer especially on a weekend. I have chatted with members, mostly sailboats owners who race and have all sorts of problems attracting crew and every member mentions the ferry but then they also go on to say what a hassle it is. Over time almost every competitive sailboat has moved to other clubs with better access. On top of that I am suprised with the constant turn over of the membership that somehow the club seems to hold on. Although if the club did not have its present location it would be quite a nice place to be a member.

I believe that tree is a Dawn Redwood.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    what are the benefits for non-boat owners?
    Fine [[arguable) dining, social functions/networking, indoor workout facilities, indoor pool, raquetball/handball courts, ballroom, outdoor pool, bbq, dancing. The only thing it lacks is indoor bowling, which isn't really all that popular anymore.

Since when is Belle Isle difficult to get to?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Since when is Belle Isle difficult to get to?
    im still trying to figure out how a 5 min ride around the island is a deterrent to membership...

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    By location the club is the least accessible private club in southeast MI. One has to go to Belle Isle not an easy task getting the majority of the metro area to do. Then drive all the way to the end of the island. Who wants to to that on an evening during the summer especially on a weekend. I have chatted with members, mostly sailboats owners who race and have all sorts of problems attracting crew and every member mentions the ferry but then they also go on to say what a hassle it is. Over time almost every competitive sailboat has moved to other clubs with better access. On top of that I am suprised with the constant turn over of the membership that somehow the club seems to hold on. Although if the club did not have its present location it would be quite a nice place to be a member.
    Sigh...only in Metro Detroit would a Yacht Club on a historic island park be considered an undesirable location.

The club is actually on its own island as well, giving it a feeling of immense serenity and removal from the excitement of the island and daily life in general. It is a very serene place to go relax. It is fantastic to be away from freeways and 8 lane roads.

Perhaps we should abandon it and build some giant thing right next to an I-94 onramp. We could build it in Chesterfield and still bafflingly call it the Detroit Yacht Club. You have spoken like a true Metro Detroiter. Where, of course, Detroit is inconvenient.

"Who wants to to that on an evening during the summer especially on a weekend."

translation: There's gonna be black people everywhere!
    You don't even drive around the island. You go through the woods to get there. It takes like five fucking minutes.

God, whenever I feel a glimmer of pride in living here I'm reminded of how I don't fit in here.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Sigh...only in Metro Detroit would a Yacht Club on a historic island park be considered an undesirable location.

The club is actually on its own island as well, giving it a feeling of immense serenity and removal from the excitement of the island and daily life in general. It is a very serene place to go relax. It is fantastic to be away from freeways and 8 lane roads.

Perhaps we should abandon it and build some giant thing right next to an I-94 onramp. We could build it in Chesterfield and still bafflingly call it the Detroit Yacht Club. You have spoken like a true Metro Detroiter. Where, of course, Detroit is inconvenient.

"Who wants to to that on an evening during the summer especially on a weekend."

translation: There's gonna be black people everywhere!
    You don't even drive around the island. You go through the woods to get there. It takes like five fucking minutes.

God, whenever I feel a glimmer of pride in living here I'm reminded of how I don't fit in here.
    You bet I have been there on few weekend nights and barely got off the island in one piece a couple times!! I have way more pride in this city than you can imagine my father was murdered here and I still defend it and support it I did not run away like most detroiters have done. So please do not begin to tell me about pride in the city. Also why would you have a ferry if the island is so safe and easy to get to??

am i missing something regarding the safety and accessibility of the island? i was doing laps on my bike there this afternoon and not only was it completely safe, it was incredibly accessible. perhaps take a trip there yourself to actually see and understand the place.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    am i missing something regarding the safety and accessibility of the island? i was doing laps on my bike there this afternoon and not only was it completely safe, it was incredibly accessible. perhaps take a trip there yourself to actually see and understand the place.
    I have spent more time on the island than you could ever hope too! Its always nice during the week during the school year even with the nice weather. I take all my pics of the island then. Looks like you need to take a trip in the summertime and I would meet you any friday or saturday evening during June, July or August and get your opinion then that is if the DPD will let us on the island. At one time up until the late 80's there was no problem going anywhere anytime but not anymore.

ive been there at all times, so i know what it is like, but thanks for the offer. i guess i view things like safety and accessibility differently then you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast